OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who's Switching from Hevi 13 to LB's

Started by Spring Creek Calls, November 20, 2014, 04:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

West Augusta

I'll not run out of Mag Blends anytime soon.  I'll stick with Hevi13's
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

the Ward

I got a pretty good stockpile of htl and lead shells so no switching for me. If I didn't already have a great combo and dang near lifetime supply of shells, I probably would be shooting the 3" Longbeards in 4s and 5s. 

davisd9

Got about 50 round of Hevi 7s including 4 boxes of the magical lot number and 15 rounds of hevi 6s. I am good for at least a couple years.

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

chatterbox

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 06, 2015, 04:30:17 PM
Quote from: SpitNDrumN on January 06, 2015, 03:48:20 PM
I don't understand why hunters, are hunters biggest hump in the road. One man is mad that another spends $30 for 5 shells. And the next man is mad that some guy is shooting copper plated lead. I just don't get it.

Exactly!  We'll all be happier when everyone accepts the fact that I'm always right.  ;)
lmao!!!!

mspet

Hi guys - I'm a noobie to participating in this forum - but have been a forum "voiyouer [sp?] for some time. I've been active in turkey hunting since 1979 - doesnt make me an expert - but I have some experience. Heres my perspective ... get any bird inside 25 yds - dead bird if you did your part. Re : shells / guns / chokes - you dont need an arsenal of gear and ammo - but do your homework - find out at the pattern board what works for you - for the way you hunt / where you hunt. We all want a" buffer zone" with our equipment - be it a deer gun or a turkey shooter - something that instills confidence, even when the shot is "challenging".

I have over 20 guns just for turkeys - I've hunt different states, different seasons/ varying weather / with a mix of different conditions. Some guns are set up for field hunts or early season open timber [no green up yet ] - others are for leafed up short shooting [later season hunts]b. I've tried it all ... bottomline - know your choke / shell combos and you only need 1 gun to do it all.

RE: shells - I still have cases of shells that did me well - old Federal blue box lead [with turkey emblem], hevishot [orig and remington], Win LBs, etc - they will all work in the right condotions - nothing will compensate bad hunting choices!   As they say - you pay your $ and take your choice. I'm an old dog that loves to learn new tricks - but 60 yd shots? give me a break!

My 2cnts. - new technology is a good thing, try it and find out for youself - but never ever think that some new wiz-bang shell / gun will ever make up for your own personal lack of skill. I have guided numerous "newbies" into the turkey hunting sport - my take is to patter your gun, after you have installed hi viz, adjustible sights on your rib, and enjoy hitting what you aim at. BUT, ymmv

goblr77

I won't be switching from HTL any time soon. Lead is still lead and won't hold down range energy as well.

Cut N Run

As much as I have invested in turkey gun, choke, sights, camo, snake boots, calls, time and fuel for scouting & hunting, spending the money for Hevi shot is worth the cost considering the way it totally stomps a gobbler.  I got enough stashed away to last several more seasons.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Longshanks

The best thing I have seen with Win LB's is that they seem to be allot less finicky about gun, choke, combinations. I have taken a few of my shotguns that I struggled to get any of the Hevi 13 or Fed HW to pattern well and instantly had awesome patterns at 40yds. This and the cost is what I see as the benefits if the LB's. Sighting in guns with Hevi 13 and having to try several chokes and loads is hugely expensive. They are an easy solution to achieve great patterns out to 40yds. That being said Hevi 13 choked correctly and sighted in,,is devastating on the turkey.

knightrider

Tom Foolery

I've never worried about killing one too dead.  The theory of that works better but this works just good enough doesn't appeal to me. 

Lots of stuff works when everything is right, I want my stuff to work even when things are wrong.  I'm not looking to extend my range so much as to help make up for a mistake in yardage, that thin screen of twigs I can't see because of a shadow, that tough old bird that for whatever reason can take more punishment.  If I have to pay some extra for insurance then I'll pay extra.

blueridgegobbler

I made the switch from nitros and hevi 13 to longbeards. I killed birds for years with lead then switched to htl for some reason guess I thought htl would would kill a bird better. killed lots with nitros and hevi 13 but all in all it was the same end result. The longbeards pattern extremely well I am very pleased.

Lucky Clucker

I got some LB 3inch 5 I am going to pattern when it warms up, but will always shoot HTL and TSS.I killed several with lead and several with HTL, but if I misjudge a shot over 40 yards I would rather have HTL, I have seen lots die, and never seen lead kill one past 35 yards better than HTL does at 40 plus.
Hunt every day as if it were your last.

blueridgegobbler

Correct me if I'm wrong but lead is 11.34 g/cm3 and hevi 13 is 12g/cm3, so if you figure in the speed of longbeards at 1200fps vs 1090fps with hevi 13 that will make them nearly identical in KE. I understand that lead will deforms and more dense materials do not such as hevi. With that being said I think we are just simply splitting hairs between these two, but I can see the gain of using HTL if you use the mag blend which is faster . I can also see using HTL if its much more dense such as heavyweight 15g/cm3 or tss 18g/cm3 Then the speed wouldn't matter as much due to the weight of the shot.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: blueridgegobbler on January 31, 2015, 08:45:59 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but lead is 11.34 g/cm3 and hevi 13 is 12g/cm3, so if you figure in the speed of longbeards at 1200fps vs 1090fps with hevi 13 that will make them nearly identical in KE. I understand that lead will deforms and more dense materials do not such as hevi. With that being said I think we are just simply splitting hairs between these two, but I can see the gain of using HTL if you use the mag blend which is faster . I can also see using HTL if its much more dense such as heavyweight 15g/cm3 or tss 18g/cm3 Then the speed wouldn't matter as much due to the weight of the shot.

Does the copper plating on the LB's help them with the deformity issue?
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

ericjames

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 31, 2015, 09:16:32 AM
Quote from: blueridgegobbler on January 31, 2015, 08:45:59 AM

Does the copper plating on the LB's help them with the deformity issue?

I tell ya what I'll do. It might not be a perfect test on it deforming but I will dig some out of the piece of wood I shot at for a target. Just to see if it deformed any on impact with the wood. Everyone of the pellets that didn't go to deep to see still looks round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk