turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who's Switching from Hevi 13 to LB's

Started by Spring Creek Calls, November 20, 2014, 04:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

decoykrvr

I had shot and evaluated every lead turkey load made prior to the introduction of HTL loads.  The initial offering of HTL shells made by both Remington and Polywad exceeded the performance of every lead load then on the market, no exceptions.  Even w/ the phenomenal strides by Winchester and the LongBeard shells they are still lead loads and it is not an "apple to apple" comparison w/ HTL.  Unfortunately, the Chinese control the bulk of the world's tungsten reserve and I have read nothing which indicates that the cost will not continue to climb in the future as world demand for the metal increases.  Turkey hunters who want the "best" turkey loads available will pay even more in the future for premium HTL loads and the ability of a major ammunition manufacturer to produce HTL loads will ultimately be a "supply and demand" decision based upon a number of economic factors.  Am I switching to lead? No, I've got a lifetime supply of HTL shotshells, but based on my evaluation of the LB shell in both 3" and 31/2", I wouldn't hesitate to hunt w/ them w/ a 40-45 yard maximum range limit.  Every ethical turkey hunter needs to express his outrage to the marketing minions of the shotshell manufacturers who are fostering the "long range" claims of their particular shell.  This marketing hype is a real travesty and disservice to all ethical turkey hunters!!!

pdaugherty

I'm gonna stick with my HEVI-13, lead is lead no matter how you look at it and you can't make it hit harder than HTL. The way I've seen HEVI kill I don't know if I could shoot anything else.

SpitNDrumN

Lol!!! Shoot a gobbler at 40 steps with Long Beard's and see what happens!!!

This is 50 yards with LB 6's. More than lethal if I mis judge 40 yards.

Anyone here that says that it's not lethal at 40-45 yards then I want my account deleted off this forum board asap because if so this forum board is a big hipocrital joke. And that picture is a laysered 50 yards. I dunno what to say for ya. $18.99 for 10 count box of lethal copper platter lead is a easy green light. I get out of bed to chase gobblers and to experience close encounters. If you want to kill turkeys at 80-90 yards take a .243.

I shoot hevi shot and fed heavy weight as well but these long beards with right attention to load choke combo are 50 yards shells all day everyday. I don't go hunting to say man can't wait to shoot a gobbler at 50 steps and try these shells out! I go out there to get him to 10-15 steps if I can and try to cut his head off with the wad and all beside his head!!!

SpitNDrumN

I don't understand why hunters, are hunters biggest hump in the road. One man is mad that another spends $30 for 5 shells. And the next man is mad that some guy is shooting copper plated lead. I just don't get it.

stinkpickle

Quote from: SpitNDrumN on January 06, 2015, 03:48:20 PM
I don't understand why hunters, are hunters biggest hump in the road. One man is mad that another spends $30 for 5 shells. And the next man is mad that some guy is shooting copper plated lead. I just don't get it.

Exactly!  We'll all be happier when everyone accepts the fact that I'm always right.  ;)

ericjames

Quote from: SpitNDrumN on January 06, 2015, 03:39:03 PM
Lol!!! Shoot a gobbler at 40 steps with Long Beard's and see what happens!!!

This is 50 yards with LB 6's. More than lethal if I mis judge 40 yards.

Anyone here that says that it's not lethal at 40-45 yards then I want my account deleted off this forum board asap because if so this forum board is a big hipocrital joke. And that picture is a laysered 50 yards. I dunno what to say for ya. $18.99 for 10 count box of lethal copper platter lead is a easy green light. I get out of bed to chase gobblers and to experience close encounters. If you want to kill turkeys at 80-90 yards take a .243.

I shoot hevi shot and fed heavy weight as well but these long beards with right attention to load choke combo are 50 yards shells all day everyday. I don't go hunting to say man can't wait to shoot a gobbler at 50 steps and try these shells out! I go out there to get him to 10-15 steps if I can and try to cut his head off with the wad and all beside his head!!!

I completely agree with this. My favorite was 3.5" #5 longbeards. I just wish they would come out with longbeards for a 20ga now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 06, 2015, 10:57:00 AM
I might just switch back to my old Fed #7 1/2s.

Oh Pickle Man, I can only imagine the swarm of 3/2/7.5 copper plated shot coming out my 1300 .660 IC. Be still my beating heart!
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

stinkpickle

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 06, 2015, 07:03:52 PM

Oh Pickle Man, I can only imagine the swarm of 3/2/7.5 copper plated shot coming out my 1300 .660 IC. Be still my beating heart!

LOL!  They can lose half their pellets and still have 350 left.  :)

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: stinkpickle on January 07, 2015, 10:10:10 AM
Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 06, 2015, 07:03:52 PM

LOL!  They can lose half their pellets and still have 350 left.  :)

I have never shot this load, but look for a box at every gun shop I've ever set foot in. The search continues.

stinkpickle

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 07, 2015, 12:29:47 PM
I have never shot this load, but look for a box at every gun shop I've ever set foot in. The search continues.

Too late.  I've hoarded them all.  :)

Spring Creek Calls

Too late.  I've hoarded them all.  :)
[/quote]

You're a bad man, a very bad man!

strutnva

I picked up a box of 3" LB's in #5 and #6 today.  I'm looking forward to see what they do on paper.  I've read too much not to find out for myself. :fud:

BowBendr

Only 7 days into a new year, and we already have the 2015 post of the year !
That was awesome... :icon_thumright:

Longshanks

Yup, I still have two boxes of the 3/2/7.5's (gold/ blue box).  Those will put em down. Shot those for several years.

Spring Creek Calls

Quote from: Longshanks on January 07, 2015, 08:57:43 PM
Yup, I still have two boxes of the 3/2/7.5's (gold/ blue box).  Those will put em down. Shot those for several years.

I'll take em off your hands before they spoil.