turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who's Switching from Hevi 13 to LB's

Started by Spring Creek Calls, November 20, 2014, 04:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yella yelper

Mark me down in the switching column. All the buffer came out of my hevis and Longbeards shoot great!

Ihuntoldschool

Lead deforms and transfers its energy better than any of that other HTL stuff. If you shoot thru them all that energy that was wasted beyond the bird isn't worth a tinkers darn when it comes to killing. I like #6 lead for the pattern density but #7.5 lead is absolutely deadly out to 40 or so as long as the pattern is there, penetration will not be a problem. I've killed plenty squirrels with #7.5 and they are a lot tougher than a turkeys bare head and neck. Fur is tougher to penetrate than feathers and well a turkeys head and upper neck don't have much of either. Heck, I body shoot coyotes during the Spring Gobbler season with #6 lead and drop them with 1 shot.

the Ward

The point I was making in reference to your post is that Winchester (or any company) shouldn't be advocating 60+ yard shooting.  The subject of Hevi versus Longbeards was beat to death ad-nauseum last year so I'm not getting that started again. We will just have to agree that we disagree lol!

Redfish

I'm no expert on physics so I can't say about lead deforming and transferring energy better. All I know is when I shoot them with Hevi shot they don't even flop. I enjoy being able to sit, give thanks and enjoy the moment instead of having to jump up and run to a flopping bird or one that's trying to run away(like I did every nearly every time with lead). To each his own. Enjoy your LB's. I'll gladly spend a couple bucks more a round for Hevi. Considering what I pay for my lease, fuel and other equipment, shells probably come to about .001 % of my turkey hunting expenses.     
John 3:16

ericjames

I don't care what I shoot one with lead or hevi. If he's flopping or not.  My foot will be on the head as fast as I can get there. I've shot birds with hevi shot, hw and lead. I bet 99% of them flop after the shot. I've probably killed 25 or so with HTL shot.  Two of those when I was die hard mag blend were complete mess to carry out one had half  his neck blew slam out the other had a smooth hole through his and both still flopped.

Redfish

Not arguing with you but that hasn't been my experience. I've only killed 6 birds since I switched three years ago. (We are only allowed two birds per year in Florida). Five of the six never moved a muscle and the sixth kicked one time. Maybe my experience is a fluke but I just don't see birds kicking for five minutes any more like they did when I used lead. Hopefully other states don't go the California route so folks can use lead if they want. Like people say, lead kills just fine. I just prefer Hevi.   
John 3:16

yella yelper

Flopping is not an indicator of a clean kill or not.  It's the nerves acting up.  Cut off a snakes head and he'll still bite.  Cut off a chicken's head and he'll still run around.  No correlation between quality of kill and reaction post-shot.

blueridgegobbler

When I shot Nitros I have taken their heads off literally and they still flop. Just nerves.

owlhoot

Have shot or seen shot, lots of turkeys . Some flop , some don't.
When using the hevi or Hw shot myself and others in the group have noticed and said that a lot more.
He didn't even flop! Then of course, maybe it could be from the many more hits in the head and neck with these better patterning loads.
Or from the trauma of penetration through the bones, which has been said to immobilize ?
It seems that when you really smash one, they don't flop as often. But some still do.
As far as lead killing better , and all that penetration of HTL shot going to waste. Not in mine or anyone in my groups experiences.
Go ask a thousand goose hunters who wouldn't switch from the lighter , less penetrating steel shot to the heavier , better penetrating lead or HTL shot in a second if they could for the same money, you will not get many NO's.

worth612000

I'am waiting on some hevi .30 cal bullets for my rifle. I will never have to trail a deer again. He will be dead, dead, dead and maybe more dead.

owlhoot

Quote from: worth612000 on February 09, 2015, 05:21:31 PM
I'am waiting on some hevi .30 cal bullets for my rifle. I will never have to trail a deer again. He will be dead, dead, dead and maybe more dead.
barnes has already got them. Let us know how they work :)

worth612000

I thought Barnes was copper, I want the Hevi stuff like TSS. I want my deer dead!

That's what I mean, I don't want no flopping deer or a need to haul butt down there and stand on this head. I want my deer dead and only Tungten will do it. Gotta get me some of them TSS  .30 cal Bullets for sure.

I'am just joking at some folks who think lead will not kill turkeys. I will settle down and do what I do most, Watching the used turkey calls for sell.

owlhoot

barnes trx , just google tungston bullets , lots of them :)

Ihuntoldschool

I agree with you to a point that no company should be advocating 60 plus yard shots. But if you should not advocate 60 plus then you definitely should not advocate 75 plus!   My point is all the HTL companies are just as guilty, actually more guilty than Winchester with the Longbeards of advocating trying to make this into a long range sport, but I do not believe they are being criticized by it to the point Winchester has been ever since the longbeards were introduced.

Ihuntoldschool

It amazes me how people judge a kill by the flop. If he is flopping with his head down he is dead, period. As far as them trying to run away after being hit with lead, you missed the vitals if that happened.