turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Who's Switching from Hevi 13 to LB's

Started by Spring Creek Calls, November 20, 2014, 04:21:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blueridgegobbler

Even if they do deform seems to me that would make larger wound channels and make a more dramatic transfer of energy. While you may lose some penetration due to the flattening in all reality its not like we are needing that much penetration. I don't know if anybody ha ever skinned the skull out of a gobbler but the are not that thick and the neck bone is about like a pencil.

ericjames

I agree with ya. I was just saying I will dig some out of the board. I like the longbeards it don't think they deform. At least it doesn't look like it. I will take pics of me digging them out of the board and post.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

worth612000

I wanted to try out the Longbeards, but have heard that the resin that holds the shot together melts in your barrel and is hard to clean unless it cleaned very shortly after the shot. Can anyone post it they had any problems or this is just bashing.

Thanks

ericjames

I haven't heard of it causing problems.

ericjames

Quote from: Spring Creek Calls on January 31, 2015, 09:16:32 AM
Quote from: blueridgegobbler on January 31, 2015, 08:45:59 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong but lead is 11.34 g/cm3 and hevi 13 is 12g/cm3, so if you figure in the speed of longbeards at 1200fps vs 1090fps with hevi 13 that will make them nearly identical in KE. I understand that lead will deforms and more dense materials do not such as hevi. With that being said I think we are just simply splitting hairs between these two, but I can see the gain of using HTL if you use the mag blend which is faster . I can also see using HTL if its much more dense such as heavyweight 15g/cm3 or tss 18g/cm3 Then the speed wouldn't matter as much due to the weight of the shot.

Does the copper plating on the LB's help them with the deformity issue?

Well I finally got around to digging some shot out of the board I shot for pattern to see if they deformed on impact. The only thing I can see is where the knife point was prying it out of the wood.

Spring Creek Calls

The copper plating sure seems to help with the lead deformity issue, which would help with patterning and penetration. Would the copper plating also increase each pellets density, further closing the gap between lead and Hevi 13?
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

worth612000

Well, I don't know what the copper weighs but lead is 10.6 g/cc and Hevi shot went down from 13 to 12g/cc. You are comparing 1.4g/cc  difference . The only reason I shoot hevi was for the pattern and it looks as if Longbeards has solved this for ethical ranges, no I don't want to take 60 yard shots. I try to be a hunter over just shooting turkeys. If one hangs up there's another day to hunt.

ericjames

Quote from: worth612000 on February 07, 2015, 09:55:26 AM
Well, I don't know what the copper weighs but lead is 10.6 g/cc and Hevi shot went down from 13 to 12g/cc. You are comparing 1.4g/cc  difference . The only reason I shoot hevi was for the pattern and it looks as if Longbeards has solved this for ethical ranges, no I don't want to take 60 yard shots. I try to be a hunter over just shooting turkeys. If one hangs up there's another day to hunt.

I have shot birds at 40 and a little further in the past. I started using hevi for the same reason as you. I wanted an acceptable pattern at 40. But it's been around 6 years since I've shot a bird at more than 25 yards.  The longbeards have changed that. I have thought about going down from 5's and 6's to the longbeard 4's if they pattern good enough.

owlhoot

Lots of other lead loads are copper plated too.
Copper plated lead , it has been said on this site, is just a wash, thin coating.
Looks like some of your shot in the board has no plating left, same as many other copper plated lead loads i have seen in my boards.
If Winchester used a thicker or tougher plating, a heavier or denser lead shot , you can rest assured that they would have advertised and promoted it.
If the lead didn't deform on impact , did it hit the target with enough retained velocity or energy to do so?
Did the Winchester xx or supreme do the same thing ? In that board material?
Great patterns , no doubt.
Will kill turkeys at ethical ranges , no doubt.

Ihuntoldschool

All you'll want to badmouth the Longbeards and preach ethics. Get real. Winchester never said to shoot 60 yards, they simply said you could put twice as many pellets in a 10 inch circle at 60 yards which is true.
On the other hand right there in the add for Magblends they are telling you the #5's in the load are good out to 75 plus!
I'll tell you why people shoot the Longbeards over that HTL stuff, because they work and the people that shoot them "hunt" turkeys and don't need to shoot 75 yards. Not to mention they are cheaper. No use paying MORE for LESS!

Ihuntoldschool

When you shoot something as fragile as a turkeys head and neck with #7.5 lead or larger, let alone #6 shot your pattern will fail before penetration ever will. You'll act like turkeys heads are armor plated or something. It's a wonder the old timers ever killed any without "turkey loads".

the Ward

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on February 08, 2015, 04:06:56 AM
All you'll want to badmouth the Longbeards and preach ethics. Get real. Winchester never said to shoot 60 yards, they simply said you could put twice as many pellets in a 10 inch circle at 60 yards which is true.
On the other hand right there in the add for Magblends they are telling you the #5's in the load are good out to 75 plus!
I'll tell you why people shoot the Longbeards over that HTL stuff, because they work and the people that shoot them "hunt" turkeys and don't need to shoot 75 yards. Not to mention they are cheaper. No use paying MORE for LESS!
Your right, Winchester doesn't advertise shooting the Longbeards at 60 yards, they advertise shooting them at "66 YARDS!"

the Ward

All I know is I recovered tungsten #4 pellets from a turkey I shot last year at appx. 35 yards and they didn't fracture the neck bones. The shell was the  3" Xtended range Winchesters. Could have possibly been a fluke but I wouldn't trust lead 6's to reliably penetrate and break bone at 50, let alone 60. 

blueridgegobbler

Man I wish i could have let the old man who got me started killing turkeys know how tough a turkey is he shot a 2 3/4 inch Winchester #6 game load. I killed my first with his gun about 30 yards he probably didn't kill but 50 or 60 before he passed.  I remember shooting 7.5 lead federal 2oz load smoked em at 40 yards. I used to be a htl fan just don't see the reason for it anymore with the patterns you can achieve with longbeards.

FttFttVroom!

Switched from Hevi last spring to Longbeards.  The LB's actually gave better pellet counts and patterns in the same shot size (#6) than my Hevis did.  Only Hevi 7's out shoot the LB 6's in my gun/choke combo.
The turkey I shot last year gave longbeards a "two legs up" rating.   :funnyturkey: