OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How do you carry your turkey in from long distances?

Started by kevin2, March 18, 2013, 02:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tomstopper

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 22, 2013, 06:11:01 PM
I'm a grab-the-feet-and-throw-it-over-the-shoulder guy myself.  It is a tradition that I started back in the 1970's and I plan on doing it that way until I can't anymore.  There is just something about the great feeling of balancing a gobblers breast on my shoulder with its wings falling down on both sides and the head bumping against my back that is just satisfying to me.  I won't do it any other way no matter how much easier it might be. 
Didn't start in the 70's (maybe the late 80's/early 90's) but was taught to carry it out like this by my grandfather. I usually place a walmart bag over the head so my pants are not covered in blood & the sound of that bag hitting my leg lets me know that my hard work has paid off.....

WildTigerTrout

With a great big smile on my face that I can't wipe off! :TooFunny:
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

blueridgegobbler

I take a big ziploc take the breast out get the beard for my collection and head towards the truck. This is only when im a long ways back if its  a close walk less than a mile i put him in my game bag on back of my vest.

WyoHunter

Quote from: Rio Fan on March 18, 2013, 02:44:28 PM
I usually carry my birds in the orange bags that Hunter's Specialities sells.  I think they only cost like $10 and I'm always hunting public ground so it's nice to be visible to other hunters.
That's the way I do it.  :icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

turkeytromp

After packing out turkeys throwed over my shoulder, and in my vest storage, The primos turkey tote is by far the most confortable method I have found yet.
It has a bloodproof bag that slips over the head/neck area and the other nuise end ties to the leg/feet area and is nicely padded on the shoulder strap, plus it's in florescent safety orange color. Give this a try I think you will be very surprised on how easy long walks can be with your prized bird.

Hawk76

Here is the one I use. Looks kind of complicated at first, but does a fantastic job of distributing the weight.  Price is a little more than some others, but you're only going to buy one in a lifetime (unless your buddy steals it).
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg0kGIkA8Bc

Turkey Sling'r

sixbird

I bought a sling from the meateater website...The brand is "Real avid". It's on a link called Pro Guide Direct. I think that may be one of the best investments in ease of getting a turkey out of the woods that I've ever made. It's durable and comfortable (distributes weight very well) and it's orange so you have some visibility...Easy to use...I can recommend it without reservation!

WildTigerTrout

The last gobbler I killed was very easy to get out of the woods. I had my 14 year old son carry the bird for me! :TooFunny: Sorry I could not resist. On a serious note though, you fellas who carry your birds out over the shoulder in the traditional manner should display a bit of hunter orange just to be on the safe side. ;)
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

glenhunter

Quoteuse a mesh laundry bag, pick them up cheap and toss it in your vest. Throw your bird in and cinch it up tight. The shoulder strap makes carrying it out a breeze!

That's an easy fix to an age old problem. Thanks

beardwacker

I usually carry it over my shoulder.  I have used a Tom Koffman pack frame to carry one out couple time, worked okay.  going in all you need is medium orange tarp in cargo pocket and 550 cord.

WiLL B

I put them in a garbage bag and then put them in my game bag on my turkey vest. The garbage bag keeps the blood out of my vest.

mikejd

Bring a camera, ziplock bag and a good knife and clean one of them in the woods. If its legal of coarse.
I'm pretty much over pics myself as most turkey pics look the same.
So clean yours and you carry hers back for some extra pics.

coyote1

dirtnap

I like the blood slinging over the back of my pants and vest.  I have never considered making a "device" to carry out a 20 lb animal.  It's not like you are toting out a boar hog.

trkehunr93