OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How do you carry your turkey in from long distances?

Started by kevin2, March 18, 2013, 02:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kevin2

I searched the web & came across a couple of ideas, but figured you all were the authorities on the best way to carry a bird in from a long off spot in the woods. I've got a daughter that I'll be hunting with, and if we both get a bird, she'll have to carry hers in by herself. Figured I'd be smart to get some sort of shoulder contraption for her in advance.

And while I'm asking, she intends to mount her Turkey if she bags one, and our taxi made it clear to be gentle with the turkey and try to carry it by the legs. So, to make it even harder, is some sort of contraption that fits that bill as well?! Tough I know, but she's all into this & I said I'd ask you all!

I came across this, but hadn't seen any reviews on it from hunters yet...

The video shows 3 of there items, I was thinking the 2nd item, the Turkey sling, would fit our needs the best...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWrsRJo_7as

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

ziggy

i just sling mine over the shoulder and carry it that way, but i'm only 25 and in pretty good shape.  i don't know what type of terrain you'd be hunting, but a sort of pull behind sled she could throw the bird in and then hook it to her waist or torso and drag it behind her might be the ticket.   maybe a wheelbarrow?  haha.
"Playing that cowboy music
And it feels good, to be working hard"

kevin2

I'm thinking something more compact to fit in our vest OR pack. Although, that is something I'm looking at for deer, a wheeled thingy, as we had to drag our deer together out from 3 miles in the steep hills and woods last year. She drug about 200 yards of that! Luckily I actually had a drag system & it helped to make the trip easier, but I still about croaked in the last 1/4 mile!

Rio Fan

I usually carry my birds in the orange bags that Hunter's Specialities sells.  I think they only cost like $10 and I'm always hunting public ground so it's nice to be visible to other hunters.

kevin2

That is a good option.

I came across this as well. A bit pricey at $29, but most likely supports the bird better & the weight is distributed between the waist & shoulders, and has the orange as well.

http://www.turkeyslingr.com/?view=featured

Quote from: Rio Fan on March 18, 2013, 02:44:28 PM
I usually carry my birds in the orange bags that Hunter's Specialities sells.  I think they only cost like $10 and I'm always hunting public ground so it's nice to be visible to other hunters.

What The Turkey Sling'r looks like in action! Thought the photos was worth a grin!

guesswho

I've been carrying them with a tote like this for about as long as i can remember. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

kevin2

I'm thinking about getting something like what you have there for myself & getting something more like the Turkey Slingr for my daughter. We'll actually be hunting with bows, both of us most likely, and I'll have my full size pop blind that I'll have on my back & we'll both be carrying bows, so this isn't an easy fit! Holding out for some more suggestions in the mean time!

Quote from: guesswho on March 18, 2013, 03:22:14 PM
I've been carrying them with a tote like this for about as long as i can remember. 

Spring_Woods

Quote from: guesswho on March 18, 2013, 03:22:14 PM

Is that a decoy?
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

guesswho

Quote from: Spring_Woods on March 18, 2013, 03:31:09 PM
Is that a decoy?
Yes, almost as effective as my Badonka-deke line.  Turkeys see you carrying around what appers to be a dead turkey and they lose all fear of you, knowing you have already filled your tag for the day.  They just walk right out in front of you.  I call it the Doppelganger-deke.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Spring_Woods

Quote from: guesswho on March 18, 2013, 03:41:07 PM
Quote from: Spring_Woods on March 18, 2013, 03:31:09 PM
Is that a decoy?
Yes, almost as effective as my Badonka-deke line.  Turkeys see you carrying around what appers to be a dead turkey and they lose all fear of you, knowing you have already filled your tag for the day.  They just walk right out in front of you.  I call it the Doppelganger-deke.

Makes perfect sense! I could see a turkey buying it. :D
"Was that a gobble?":gobble:

Mike Honcho

Like the turkey slings seen above I have used just an old shotgun or rifle sling , put it in my pack and two or three strong zip ties (long enough to do the job) to attach to the head area and legs.

Best to use a sling you don't want to put on a gun again...the swivels  (if metal) rust pretty bad from Turkey blood!

ky double lung

I use a mesh laundry bag, pick them up cheap and toss it in your vest. Throw your bird in and cinch it up tight. The shoulder strap makes carrying it out a breeze!

bbcoach

My vest has a zippered Game Bag in the back that keeps the bird comfy during that long walk back to the truck.

renegade19

30_06

I use a turkey tote handle. It is basically a loop of rope tie thru a wooden handle, loop the rope around the birds feet sling over your shoulder and carry by the wooden handle.