OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How do you carry your turkey in from long distances?

Started by kevin2, March 18, 2013, 02:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

El Pavo Grande

My dad has always grabbed them by the neck and gets blood all over him.  I always carry them by the feet and get blood all over me.  I have had a few totes, but they often end up being another thing to carry around.

chatterbox

I just fold them up, and put them in the game pouch in my vest.
My son shot his on youth weekend, and we stuffed him in the vest. About halfway out he says, "I didn't realize how heavy these birds were!"
I just laughed. There is nothing like toting one out, and feeling that heavy weight on your back.
I won't trade that feeling for anything! :icon_thumright:

WildSpur

Mine go in my game bag.  I have a tactical tat'r where the bags attaches separately.   Nice feature.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

Cluck more, yelp less

gobbler336

Beard Collecter

I don't!! I sit by the truck and call them in from long  distances. Boom!! Pick them up and put them in the truck. Man, you are green!! :emoticon-animal-005:
He-He-He. Best of luck friend.

old3toe

One year while hunting with a buddy i was fortunate enough to kill a double. He shot first and missed and i followed. up taking two of the three with two shots. we were pumped up big time then he said your gonna have fun packin both of those birds back to the truck!! What!! I said your not gonna pack one? He said nope! You got a game vest to put one in and you can throw the other over your shoulder.lol But he did carry my Five lb gun for me!!even though it was a mile walk or better i was still pumped up enough to carry em a lot farther!! Fast forward a week or so. I called in three for him and he took two. We hi fived and took pics then i said you know what? He laughed and said let me guess these two birds are gonna get awful heavy before i get back to the truck!!lol I started laughing and said nah I'm gonna do ya one better than you did me! And carried one out for him. He was a little shocked i think. Anyway id just throw one in my vest and carry the one to be mounted over my shoulder with a turkey carrier or tote. i made one out of a piece of deer antler and a leather string..very comfortable to use and very compact in your vest. never know its there!!

MKMGOBL

Quote from: trkehunr93 on July 18, 2013, 06:46:34 PM
I just switch shoulders every 75 yards.

Same here....however if it's a good one, I'll switch shoulders more like every 40yds :toothy12:
"Luck Happens When Preparation Meets Opportunity"

J Hook Max

I have used the gun slings that have loops that fit over the barrel and stock. Just put his feet through the loops then put the strap over your shoulder. Works great.

Hooks' n' Beards'

mwr

ksgoosekillr

Id be carrying out two birds one slung over each shoulder while my daughter carried two UNLOADED guns... those here who cover the bird and don't want to get blood on your vest or clothes? really this is hunting? I have some of the nicest hunting clothes money can buy and a vest to match with a carrying pouch. my vest will have blood stains until I retire it and not inside a pouch. ill wash my clothes. Not trying to sound like a *** here but it is part of the sport and saying your daughter will carry her bird? really? I hope she is not young because that's a great way to deter a child. it amazes me how many people here have bought something to carry your bird. no wonder primos stays in business. most birds will be short of the 20lb mark and no offense but if you cant carry that (aside from older folks and people who are not able) maybe you should consider another pastime?

guesswho

Quote from: ksgoosekillr on February 14, 2014, 02:37:15 PM
it amazes me how many people here have bought something to carry your bird. no wonder primos stays in business. most birds will be short of the 20lb mark and no offense but if you cant carry that (aside from older folks and people who are not able) maybe you should consider another pastime?
Really? 

Some folks spend money on something to help carry their bird out.  Others spend it on something like a decoy or blind to help get a bird in range.   Whatever, it's their money.

No offense but if you cant get a bird in killing range without a decoy or blind maybe you should consider another past time.  Again, whatever, it's not my money.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

ksgoosekillr

Quote from: guesswho on February 14, 2014, 04:23:29 PM
Quote from: ksgoosekillr on February 14, 2014, 02:37:15 PM
it amazes me how many people here have bought something to carry your bird. no wonder primos stays in business. most birds will be short of the 20lb mark and no offense but if you cant carry that (aside from older folks and people who are not able) maybe you should consider another pastime?
Really? 

Some folks spend money on something to help carry their bird out.  Others spend it on something like a decoy or blind to help get a bird in range.   Whatever, it's their money.

No offense but if you cant get a bird in killing range without a decoy or blind maybe you should consider another past time.  Again, whatever, it's not my money.

you are one of those "who cares what people do with their money" types
im more of the "if someone asks for the publics opinion on an open forum about what to do with their money im gonna reply... if they don't like to hear what people think don't ask in public"

im glad you gave me your opinion though but I rarely use a decoy and never use a blind, but if you cant carry a bird how can you get your blind and decoy in? I think they make carrying straps and bags for all those too :funnyturkey:

guesswho

Quote from: ksgoosekillr on February 14, 2014, 04:44:47 PM
you are one of those "who cares what people do with their money" types
If you come to that conclusion by reading my comments you need to work on your comprehension skills, or I need to work on my presentation skills. 

Your "it amazes me how many people here have bought something to carry your bird. no wonder primos stays in business. most birds will be short of the 20lb mark and no offense but if you cant carry that (aside from older folks and people who are not able) maybe you should consider another pastime?" comment struck me wrong, and I'm curious to see if others will take it the same way.  I am more than capable of carrying a 20 lb. bird without the aid of a tote or game bag, as are most of our members.  I just choose to use a light weight tote.

Telling people they should consider another past time is arrogant and uncalled for.  My reply to your comment was to show just how asinine it really looks and sounds.   You not seeing that may have something to do with your comprehension skills, my presentation skills, or arrogance.  Either way you arrived at I'm a "who cares what people do with their money" type!   Which is hilarious to the folks who know me.  When what I was going for, was that your comment was a little on the arrogant side. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

turkey_slayer

Ksgoose I assure you misread guesswho. He's been a long standing member on a few forums for a while and never stirs the pot. I've never met or even exchanged pm's with him but he's one of the good guys. You need to try one of his decoys before the states outlaw them as there like using the real deal.