OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

How do you carry your turkey in from long distances?

Started by kevin2, March 18, 2013, 02:20:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IndianaGobbler

I just do it simple an old military laundry bag inside a large backpack that doubles as a seat while hunting I can have all my calls packed away during travel plus my blind hooked on

SGT. Carter

ssramage

Quote from: guesswho on March 18, 2013, 03:22:14 PM
I've been carrying them with a tote like this for about as long as i can remember. 

I use something similar but not as fancy. I took some nylon cord, measured it to how long I wanted, doubled it over and cut it. Then I tied the end together making a big circle. I take one end and loop it around the head and loop the other around the feet. Easy, cheap and can fit in my pocket if needed.

hoyt

Carried my last one in sandwich bags..gallon size..two of them. Rolled the head and cape up and put in big trash bag, then stuffed in my turkey vest.

GobbleNut

I'm a grab-the-feet-and-throw-it-over-the-shoulder guy myself.  It is a tradition that I started back in the 1970's and I plan on doing it that way until I can't anymore.  There is just something about the great feeling of balancing a gobblers breast on my shoulder with its wings falling down on both sides and the head bumping against my back that is just satisfying to me.  I won't do it any other way no matter how much easier it might be. 

As for a carrying method for a to-be-mounted bird, the key is just to not break, crush, or otherwise damage the feathers on the bird.  Most of the real damage comes at the point the bird is shot,, is flopping around, and/or the hunter runs up and grabs it by the neck.  Do not do that, or carry the bird by the neck.  Just take care with the bird and understand that every feather that is broken, crushed, or pulled out during transportation to the taxidermist just makes it that much harder for the guy doing the work on the mount. 

kevin2

Well, thanks to guesswho, whom contacted me & offered me a Custom Turkey sling, I had a sling for myself. Thanks again Ronnie.

I also went ahead and bought my kids a nice Strut Zone Turkey Vest & a Super Elite Hybrid Vest, as after thinking about all the posts & seeing one of these vests in person, it seemed smart to kill 2 birds with one stone & get a carrying system for the bird & a way to carry all your other goodies in and out as well.

So, there you have it!

AND, Ronnies sling for me!

Quote from: guesswho on March 18, 2013, 03:22:14 PM
I've been carrying them with a tote like this for about as long as i can remember. 

I am going to bag my first Turkey this spring if it is the last thing I do!

Thomas6689

timberjack86

catman529

Longest haul was a 21 lb gobbler (my first longbeard) just a hair under a mile back to where I parked. I walked out with a guy from Arkansas who was visiting for the week to turkey hunt - we both killed a bird that morning. He had come in after me and set up a blind and decoys and killed one and then I killed one.  But I just carried the bird over my shoulder, did have to switch sides now and then. I am 20 and in shape but real skinny especially in the upper body, so I can get a bit worn out holding one over my shoulder for a while.

However the worst was a hike of just over half a mile to the truck, but I had a buddy help me. i killed 4 birds in a row during the fall season and while they were smaller birds (hens and jakes) it's difficult to carry 4 over your shoulder without any strap. so I carried em across one field and set them in the shade, and when my buddy showed up he had a strap for 2 of the birds and I carried the other 2. Would have been a task doing it by myself. Probably would have found some rope at the truck and gone back to rope them out myself.

yankeedeerslayer

I picked up the Primos turkey sling from Wingsupply. Has a orange bag to cover head and stop blood from getting on your clothes and a loop for legs. Carry it same as that fellow standing in the rain. It was less than 5 bucks and I also picked up a Pretty Boy Jr for 20 bucks. Only turkey purchases this year and both seem great.
US Army Vet

bangflop

Orange bag from hunters specialties works great.    Safe, comfortable and convenient

Preacher7

This is what i use, just a simple peice of leather with leather laced slip knots. fits nicely in my vest and carrys the turkey quite well,
Preacher

Tommythreetoes

Quote from: 30_06 on March 18, 2013, 10:20:02 PM
I use a turkey tote handle. It is basically a loop of rope tie thru a wooden handle, loop the rope around the birds feet sling over your shoulder and carry by the wooden handle.

This^^

I used a wooden rod about 4 inches long.  Drilled a hole in the middle of, tied a small rope into a ring with the knot big enough to not pull through.  Wrap rope around turkey legs, push wood rod through middle of loop, sling turkey over shoulder.  The wooden handle makes it easier to hang on to him.  Takes up very little room in the vest.

Gooserbat

I like to take a small plastic bag (bread sack is perfect) and a zip tie to bag it's head so i don't get blood everywhere and then I do it the old fashion way.  I grab it by the legs, throw it over my shoulder and start walking.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Rex

Since you are packing your blind, stools, and couple of bows. I would seriously check out some yard sales/pawn shops and pick up a golf bag carrier. The one with 2 wheels and a handle. I am sure you could rig it up to hold all your belongings and strap a turkey to it.
"'As surely as I live,' says the Lord,
'every knee will bow before me;
    every tongue will acknowledge God.'"         Romans 14:11

howl

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 22, 2013, 06:11:01 PM
I'm a grab-the-feet-and-throw-it-over-the-shoulder guy myself.  It is a tradition that I started back in the 1970's and I plan on doing it that way until I can't anymore.  There is just something about the great feeling of balancing a gobblers breast on my shoulder with its wings falling down on both sides and the head bumping against my back that is just satisfying to me.  I won't do it any other way no matter how much easier it might be. 

As for a carrying method for a to-be-mounted bird, the key is just to not break, crush, or otherwise damage the feathers on the bird.  Most of the real damage comes at the point the bird is shot,, is flopping around, and/or the hunter runs up and grabs it by the neck.  Do not do that, or carry the bird by the neck.  Just take care with the bird and understand that every feather that is broken, crushed, or pulled out during transportation to the taxidermist just makes it that much harder for the guy doing the work on the mount.

+1 A turkey is too fine a thing to go hanging crap off it. Take your time walking out with a bird in hand, savoring the moment.