turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

YouTube and Hunting videos

Started by Iaguntrader, September 19, 2021, 06:06:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iaguntrader

This thread isn't about how they help or hurt. Sorry if this has already been posted I just seen video's on it today.

Some of the channels I watch have recently stated hunting channels are being targeted and demonetized, LoJo and Flair are the two that had videos on it. Even some fishing channels have been demonetized per one video. It sounds like Seek One was the largest to be demonetized. I was wondering if Shane, Catman, THP, or Dave had to deal with it as well. I hope not, it sounds like hunting is allowed per the rules, are they changing that?

The Flair video stated the channels are getting an email that states they can appeal in 30 days but the email didn't explain what the channels had done wrong. He also stated that him and other channels are deleting their hunting, trapping, catch/clean/cook videos to prevent being demonetized.

I hope a Karen didn't get a promotion and start targeting outdoor channels, what channel types are going to be targeted next?

Sixes

Honestly, I liked the channels a lot better before they started having commercials every 4-5 minutes. Youtube hunting videos used to just about putting out a video for everyone to enjoy, but in the last 4-5 years, it has turned into a business.

After finding out that my state of GA paid THP 23K to hunt and exploit our resources, I don't care if they are demonetized and have to get real jobs.

PaytonWP

Quote from: Sixes on September 19, 2021, 07:39:55 PM
Honestly, I liked the channels a lot better before they started having commercials every 4-5 minutes. Youtube hunting videos used to just about putting out a video for everyone to enjoy, but in the last 4-5 years, it has turned into a business.

After finding out that my state of GA paid THP 23K to hunt and exploit our resources, I don't care if they are demonetized and have to get real jobs.

Exactly how I feel. People say we need more hunters to have a voice. I want to know what that number or percentage is? If we ever have enough hunters to have a true voice, we'll all get to hunt once every third year because everything would have to go to a draw system to curb the number of hunters. What's funny is the main people saying we need more hunters almost always have financial interests in hunting.

eggshell

Quote from: Sixes on September 19, 2021, 07:39:55 PM

Yup, I agree. There's a book that says, "the love of money is the root of all evil".

silent tom

Good.  Keep on reporting the videos. Maybe they will get real jobs.   

aclawrence

I understand the frustration of many on the forum here and how they feel about YouTube and turkey hunting. I like some of the channels but my feelings are starting to get more complicated as well. I think we are definitely seeing the effects of YouTube/Facebook hot spotting, sharing too much info, and even the guys that aren't really doing anything wrong but just attracting more people to the woods. But with all that aside I don't think it's good for gun channels and hunting channels to be targeted a demonitized.  It's just another way that the antis are targeting us and beating us. We are losing our voice in the world. I would say the world is going off the deep end but I think it's still the squeaky wheel gets the grease thing. The people who are so against us are outworking us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

arkrem870

People were hunting before YouTube pimped out our public lands. And they will be hunting after.  Should have never went as far as it did. States should have stepped in and stopped the madness years ago

Greg Massey

Iaguntrader

Quote from: aclawrence on September 20, 2021, 09:04:07 AM
I understand the frustration of many on the forum here and how they feel about YouTube and turkey hunting. I like some of the channels but my feelings are starting to get more complicated as well. I think we are definitely seeing the effects of YouTube/Facebook hot spotting, sharing too much info, and even the guys that aren't really doing anything wrong but just attracting more people to the woods. But with all that aside I don't think it's good for gun channels and hunting channels to be targeted a demonitized.  It's just another way that the antis are targeting us and beating us. We are losing our voice in the world. I would say the world is going off the deep end but I think it's still the squeaky wheel gets the grease thing. The people who are so against us are outworking us.

The bolded part of your reply is what I hoped this thread would be about. Love them or hate them it's a group being targeted that I strongly align with....hunting, firearms, etc. If the educational, instructional, and awareness is removed from the YouTube platform what is next?

arkrem870

I agree.....you never want to see hunting and shooting discrimination.  I dislike it.....but keep in mind none of us made the rule. And we don't have control over it unless you quit using the platform.  So....everyone should do just that .... Quit effective immediately. I personally can think of no good use for social media. Especially when it comes to hunting or fishing locations.

Kyle_Ott

According to recent economic statistics there are over 11.5 million job vacancies in the US.

Opportunity abounds in the tech, healthcare, insurance, and food service industries (just to name a few).

If pimping public land ain't helping their credit scores, the economy is their oyster. 

eggshell

Quote from: arkrem870 on September 20, 2021, 07:35:54 PM
I agree.....you never want to see hunting and shooting discrimination.  I dislike it.....but keep in mind none of us made the rule. And we don't have control over it unless you quit using the platform.  So....everyone should do just that .... Quit effective immediately. I personally can think of no good use for social media. Especially when it comes to hunting or fishing locations.

You are right, but quitting social media is like quitting sex or drugs for many. It's kind of a psychological sex or drug. Take this forum and others like it, once we start we just have to keep coming back. Perhaps just quitting one site would be easier. Yet once a man has a mistress, he usually keeps going back until he's ruined his marriage and many times his life. In this case it's our sport.

I think the best we can hope for is to manage the content. The pressure that this site and others have put on the youtubers has made some difference. I once heard an old guy say, "that guy is just like an old hound dog, he'll never give up on a trail". We gotta be that "old hound dog".

GobbleNut

Lots of directions this conversation could go. 

We've already jack-hammered the YouTube turkey hunters enough for them to be aware of our concerns about the impacts of spreading too much information.  That is easy enough for them to resolve with a little self-reflection and future discretion in how they present their programming. 

Regarding social media, that cat has done got out of the bag at this point.  Not only that, but the folks that let that cat out are often times the same ones that have little or no connection to the things those of us here cherish in life (hunting, fishing, trapping, etc.).  Furthermore, I suspect most of them have some level of bias against what we do. They also control their businesses and can therefore do as they want in terms of restricting or allowing whatever suits them (some discriminatory practices excluded). 

As for the "demonetization" issue as it might be being applied to lifestyles such as hunting/fishing and the like:  Yeah, we can all get our snoods in a knot about it because they are singling us out, perhaps unfairly,...or we can look at it from the other direction in that it might stop some of the negative impacts that we have been complaining about "ad nauseum" regarding the YouTubers directing hordes of hunters towards our favorite spots. 

In the end, it all depends on how you look at it....

eggshell

I agree with gobblenut again. Gobblenut, at our age every spring we get in the woods and hills/mountains is a bonus. My fear is the younger generation will pay the big price of exclusion. If I never hunt another day I have had a great life doing so and the one thing they can not take is my memories. With that said, I ain't giving up just yet, I am still breathing and upright!