OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: YouTube and Hunting videos  (Read 7476 times)

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: YouTube and Hunting videos
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2021, 09:39:27 AM »
Basically, this is another long term “reaping of the rewards” for exploiting public land, or in this particular case urban hunting.  Not only does it demonetize these guys, the bigger issue is opportunity taken away for other hunters as a result.  Why can’t folks just hunt and enjoy it?  Now, we have to make $$$ on it?  Not to confuse with sharing videoed hunts, pictures, stories, but when you start promoting, highlighting, or exploiting specifics such as urban hunting and public land to the extent many on YouTube do, there will be negative results.  Don’t patronize us with the claim of educating others or introducing others for the future of the sport.  It’s about personal gain of some sort….money, fame, etc. 

I don’t agree with censorship and there is a definite one-sided, liberal leaning agenda on social media.  But, I don’t support profiting off of public land, especially when the negative results include decreased opportunities for other hunters.  Primos, Knight & Hale, Drury, etc. have been used as comparative examples, and while I agree negatives come along with them as well, there is one fundamental difference.  We all knew they hunted premier private ground or expensive outfitters that the majority of us would likely never have the luxury of hunting, while promoting tangible products.  On the other hand, most of the YouTube channels are exploiting and profiting off the “public land experience”, and when they intentionally or unintentionally give away specifics (results are the same either way) it narrows to an even more localized issue, which we have experienced. 

So, for me I don’t want to see censorship, but I also don’t want to continue down this path we are on.  Let them share away, but if the money gets cut then so be it.  Figure out another way to make $$. 

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2021, 12:12:57 PM »
Before you tube, there was this thing called a magazine. And writers who wanted to stay employed would have to find something to write about every month. Thus the quick and easy articles" 10 best places to hunt xyz on public land" or some such variation of the topic. So this has been going on  looong before you tube was a twinkle in anyone's eye. If you hunt public land, sooner or later people will find your super secret honey hole, with or without help from media sources. I've had it happen to me several times. So either you deal with more hunters, or move to a new area. Then when you move to another place, you are now that "somebody" who is "ruining my spot" to someone else. We are a country of around 330 million people, growing by the day ( thanks a lot, dude in the white house) and we are losing hunting lands to development. It sucks, but that is the reality we face. So go out and enjoy hunting while you can.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2021, 02:27:16 PM by the Ward »

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2021, 04:00:25 PM »
Before you tube, there was this thing called a magazine. And writers who wanted to stay employed would have to find something to write about every month. Thus the quick and easy articles" 10 best places to hunt xyz on public land" or some such variation of the topic. So this has been going on  looong before you tube was a twinkle in anyone's eye. If you hunt public land, sooner or later people will find your super secret honey hole, with or without help from media sources. I've had it happen to me several times. So either you deal with more hunters, or move to you a new area. Then when you move to another place, you are now that "somebody" who is "ruining my spot" to someone else. We are a country of around 330 million people, growing by the day ( thanks a lot, dude in the white house) and we are losing hunting lands to development. It sucks, but that is the reality we face. So go out and enjoy hunting while you can.

As said before, writers are just as guilty.   But, it’s a new level with the internet involved, and that can’t be argued.  Accessible to millions with the click of a button.   Joe on FB is just as guilty as well.  And it’s not about losing a honey hole.  Those have come and gone since day 1.  What we need are YouTubers and social media users to be responsible stewards for the resource and other hunters, and the masses educated to the negatives with promoting/exploiting public land and sharing specifics.  Pretty easy fix if individuals choose to put the resource and other hunters over themselves.  Unfortunately, the damage has already been done and the cats out of the bag, but in time the negatives could be lessened.  If I’m being honest, I don’t have a lot of faith for much to change overall as long as $$ and self notoriety is involved in today’s social culture.  We shall see.   

Offline Stoeger_bird

« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2021, 04:11:21 PM »
Before you tube, there was this thing called a magazine. And writers who wanted to stay employed would have to find something to write about every month. Thus the quick and easy articles" 10 best places to hunt xyz on public land" or some such variation of the topic. So this has been going on  looong before you tube was a twinkle in anyone's eye. If you hunt public land, sooner or later people will find your super secret honey hole, with or without help from media sources. I've had it happen to me several times. So either you deal with more hunters, or move to a new area. Then when you move to another place, you are now that "somebody" who is "ruining my spot" to someone else. We are a country of around 330 million people, growing by the day ( thanks a lot, dude in the white house) and we are losing hunting lands to development. It sucks, but that is the reality we face. So go out and enjoy hunting while you can.
A magazine and social media are not even close to being comparable. You actually had to pay for a magazine subscription and then actually read it! Now a person a can watch video after video made by Dave Owens, THP, or many other like like them with a mouse in one hand and playing with their dick with the other. The way people idolize them I wouldn't doubt if thats really how a lot poeple watch their videos.
T.W.D.W.D.

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2021, 04:47:41 PM »

Not even comparable to subscription based magazines.

THP just launched a video that got over 100k views in less than 24 hours. Filmed in a state that has already paid them before (Arizona). In a few days of videoing/editing, they reached over 100k people in LESS THAN A DAY after going live.

Very timely of them too, as Arizona residents recently started a petition to try and convince their Game and Fish to quit paying influencers. Link to petition below:

https://chng.it/RVJXgPLFGG

I'm sure Arizona residents are thrilled their hunting opportunities are being exploited for profit, once again.

Now think of the time it takes to put a magazine together. The articles, editing, advertising, circulation, delivery.... Oh yeah, lets not forget, people have to PAY for magazines too. Unlike YouTube and other social media outlets. This technology age has antiquated magazines and their reach is nothing like today's social media.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2021, 07:11:29 PM »
Now a person a can watch video after video made by Dave Owens, THP, or many other like like them with a mouse in one hand and playing with their dick with the other.

Realizing that we are in the middle of a serious discussion here, I just have to pause and state, for the record, that this comment was funny as hell!  ...Gave me a good, long laugh!  Good one Dude!   :TooFunny: :D :TooFunny:

Offline turkeyfool

« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2021, 01:54:30 AM »
They got paid 23 g-birds to hunt Georgia?? How do we know this? If that's true, that's freaking wild considering I believe other Youtubers were on another thread that went 9 pages earlier this summer and I believe the comment was "they get paid enough to pay for the gas, if they're lucky"

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2021, 08:38:44 AM »
They got paid 23 g-birds to hunt Georgia?? How do we know this? If that's true, that's freaking wild considering I believe other Youtubers were on another thread that went 9 pages earlier this summer and I believe the comment was "they get paid enough to pay for the gas, if they're lucky"

Oh, it is true. A lot of us already knew THP was getting paid. It was pretty easy to recognize. Why else would they put all those links in those videos to buy licenses in certain states, tag state DNRs in posts, get shout outs in State DNR e-mail blasts, etc.

But back to your question. Georgia boys REALLY didn't like losing weeks off their public land turkey season while at the same time having suspicions THP was being paid to pimp their public lands. So they did what any of us can do and reached out their state DNR for answers. And answers were provided! THP was paid $23k to hunt deer and turkey in a state where public land turkey opportunity was soon cut 2-3 weeks and multiple WMAs went draw hunt only for the first time. NOT a good look!

Here is the correspondence with GA DNR's marketing coordinator confirming THP being paid:

Here is a Facebook post from GA DNR employees about the subject:

Multiple GA people further confirmed THP being paid by contacting GA DNR.

There is 21 pages split between 2 forum threads on the Georgia Outdoors forum about the subject. Been a lot of talk about it on other social media platforms too. Link to forum threads below:

https://forum.gon.com/threads/dnr-and-the-hunting-public.999571/
https://forum.gon.com/threads/nonresident-turkey-hunting.998738/

And its not just Georgia paying them. TN has confirmed to have paid them at least $10k as well. Another state paying influencers to hunt while simultaneously taking gobblers off their bag limit.

And THP admitted to being paid by AZ too. Of course they use the COVID excuse like other YouTuber's do when it comes to drastic increases in public land pressure on public lands they explicitly highlight.

And i'm sure there's other states paying them/looking to pay them right now. This trend will continue unless hunters in each state raise enough stink about it.

As for that other YouTuber that posted on here saying they were just getting paid gas money? He always comes to other YouTuber's defense. He is a bit out of touch when it comes to recognizing the damage that has happened to public land turkey hunting. But in his defense, he likely didn't know they were being paid so much. His channel's reach and marketing value isn't even remotely close to THP's. And the income that particular YouTuber gets from his videos isn't really that much.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2021, 10:09:46 AM »
I'm going to have to talk with Shannon and see if i can get some funding from patch sells for gas money because of promoting turkey hunting on the forum. I must also contact these call builders that i have been promoting on the forum for some free calls and code discounts ...  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2021, 11:40:33 AM »
I think we should start a bidding war and under bid them. Heck I'll come hunt your state for a lot less than 23K. I don't have good video and posting equipment so It'll take me a while to post my videos, like 10 years

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2021, 10:49:12 PM »
 Eggshell ... I am with you! I will come and hunt any state in the country for gas money. If a conflict comes up, it may need
to include license money, if a bidding war, food/lodging. I eat a lot, and I eat well! ???? This could get expensive quick.

@ the Country. I am that cheap, and I will kill your turkeys, and promote your state. Reach out, I will be there. Eventually, I will be there anyway if I haven't already.

I wish it was February so we could mentally be getting ready to go hunting instead of this. Its taxing to me to read, and I am not a new hunter. I know a lot of you are not as well, take no offense please.

Fall is here guys.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2021, 11:01:55 PM »
I’m not here to fight there fight for them, but the information about what THP got paid in Georgia is incorrect.  The info from GA says that “$23k was spent on a project involving The Hunting Public”.  It does not say that THP was paid $23k to do the project.  And although it won’t satisfy some of you, some will be appreciative when they reveal what they did with the money they received. 
I can say from personal experience that the ones of them that I have spent time with are stand up guys.  If you’d like to see them do things a certain way I’d encourage you to reach out via social media in a respectful manner and you might be surprised at the response you get. 

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #42 on: September 26, 2021, 07:19:22 AM »
I can say from personal experience that the ones of them that I have spent time with are stand up guys.  If you’d like to see them do things a certain way I’d encourage you to reach out via social media in a respectful manner and you might be surprised at the response you get.

They may be pretty regular dudes, but it's also pretty darn hard to explain away the turd in the punch bowl when you showed a video of yourself crapping in it.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #43 on: September 26, 2021, 07:40:06 AM »
I hear ya eggshell, but the fact of the matter is that social media of all forms is here to stay and for every person on this board that is frustrated with the direction things are going there are 1,000’s that set their timer so they know when the show airs.  You have guys involved with the most influential show out there that will listen to what their supporters have to say and want what’s best for the resource.  I think we should take advantage of that and hope that other groups will follow their lead.  Whining on this forum will produce O results if we don’t come up with a reasonable way to deal with it and a compromise. 

And I’ve said it before so I’ll say it again.  This public land/travel fad is just that, a fad, and it will pass.  I know numerous guys that have traveled a long distance and been kicked in the teeth and they ain’t going back. 

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #44 on: September 26, 2021, 09:08:20 AM »

And I’ve said it before so I’ll say it again.  This public land/travel fad is just that, a fad, and it will pass.  I know numerous guys that have traveled a long distance and been kicked in the teeth and they ain’t going back.

I believe you are correct in this assessment.  The law of diminishing returns will eventually kick in for a lot of folks.  In addition, there are only so many of us,...even those of us that call ourselves avid turkey hunters,...to which turkey hunting is the "end all" in our lives.  As much as we love turkey hunting, I can't help but believe that most of us realize there are obligations, relationships, and other things in our lives that have priority over turkey hunting. 

This forum, and others like it, have a skewed percentage of those folks that fit into the category of,..."I am going turkey hunting, everything else in life be damned".  As the quality of turkey hunting declines in a lot of places due to the apparent "fad" that exists at the moment, there will eventually be fewer and fewer people in that category.