OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: YouTube and Hunting videos  (Read 7528 times)

Offline Shiloh

Re: YouTube and Hunting videos
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 09:45:02 AM »
The one thing that I find interesting is that if you think back a few short years a lot of the post on here were about snobs like Primos, Drury’s, Bone Collector, etc and how they hunted exclusive ranches that us normal guys couldn’t afford.  If they just had to hunt public land it would expose their inadequacies.  If someone would start videoing public land hunts we will jump on board with that one.  Well…….some guys did that and have been successful and now we are back to eating our own.  Be careful what you wish for. 

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 09:46:55 AM »
I agree with gobblenut again. Gobblenut, at our age every spring we get in the woods and hills/mountains is a bonus. My fear is the younger generation will pay the big price of exclusion. If I never hunt another day I have had a great life doing so and the one thing they can not take is my memories. With that said, I ain't giving up just yet, I am still breathing and upright!

Here, Here,...my friend!   :icon_thumright: :D

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 10:03:29 AM »
Seek1 posted a follow up digging into the new rules for youtube starting July 2021

"Hunting
     - Hunting content where there's no depiction of graphic animal injuries or prolonged suffering. 
            - Hunting videos where the moment of kill or injury is indiscernible, and with no focal footage of how
              this dead animal is processed for trophy or food purposes"

I'm not too familiar with Seek1's videos so I'm not sure how they are about these things.. but I will say, youtube is a platform widely used by non-hunters.  Why they would even click on a hunting video is beyond me, but they certainly do.  One thing I personally dislike in hunting videos and/or pictures across any social media platform is highlighting the graphic.  Sitting there videoing the turkey flopping, the head on that bird that was just a little too close, the slow-motion reel of that close - devastating shot.. the stuff that isn't that respectful towards the animal we are pursuing.  We all know that kind of stuff exists in this game, but when that's what is turned into the "cool" part.. there is a problem.  If myself as a hunter cringes when I see these things, what does the non-hunter think.. particularly the one that's on the fence and wants to accept what we do.  If YouTube establishes a rule to curb that kind of portrayal, I can't say I hate it.  According to their rules they are still accepting of hunting videos, which would be easy enough to not be if that was truly their agenda.  TikTok for example, just showing a gun or kill shot will get a video removed as it is against community guidelines.   I don't understand Youtube not allowing the food processing aspect of it.. that seems quite educational to me without being excessively graphic.  But it's their rulebook, if you want to play the game you gotta play by the rules. But I digress. 

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 10:45:22 AM »
Hunting content where there's no depiction of graphic animal injuries or prolonged suffering.
            - Hunting videos where the moment of kill or injury is indiscernible, and with no focal footage of how
              this dead animal is processed for trophy or food purposes"

So are all the cooking videos, especially pit BBQ also going to be banned? They show dead animals being processed!

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 02:11:13 PM »
youtube is a platform widely used by non-hunters.  Why they would even click on a hunting video is beyond me, but they certainly do.  One thing I personally dislike in hunting videos and/or pictures across any social media platform is highlighting the graphic.  Sitting there videoing the turkey flopping, the head on that bird that was just a little too close, the slow-motion reel of that close - devastating shot.. the stuff that isn't that respectful towards the animal we are pursuing.  We all know that kind of stuff exists in this game, but when that's what is turned into the "cool" part.. there is a problem.  If myself as a hunter cringes when I see these things, what does the non-hunter think.. particularly the one that's on the fence and wants to accept what we do.  If YouTube establishes a rule to curb that kind of portrayal, I can't say I hate it. 

Well stated, Derek,...totally agree with you about this,...and it's one reason I enjoy watching your videos.  :icon_thumright:

Offline Spellnj3

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: September 21, 2021, 02:17:52 PM »
Free speech is not allowed on the internet  ???
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline TurkeyReaper69

« Reply #21 on: September 21, 2021, 06:36:05 PM »
Corporate America will do what they want, whenever they want. Whether it makes sense or not. Nudity is allowed on YouTube as far as its considered "educational", not sure how one of these crappie fileting or dove breasting videos wouldn't be considered  "educational". Oh well, as Derek said though I can't really hate on YouTube for this as it may save our reputation towards some of the anti-hunter crowd.

What I will comment on was the other day SeekOne posted on their Instagram story a desperate cry for help begging their following to purchase merchandise off their website "to continue to support them" after YT demonetized their videos. As far as the demonetizing goes I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who will choose to cry about that. As a previous commenter mentioned there's over 11 million job vacancies in the U.S. currently, go get you a real job and quit banking on that turkey money. I recall watching SeekOne in their early days when they had just a handful of subscribers, I didn't have anything against them when they'd pulled out the camera after getting off of work for the day and heading to the deer stand. But sadly now I just do not care to watch them as they are dipping into the traveling turkey game and western big game hunts (gee, I wonder why...follow the money trail people). As well as the endless sponsorships, promotions, etc. I really would love to see all these guys like SeekOne, THP, Pinhoti have to get back up and get a real job again. After all, I'm sure they'd enjoy their time in the woods a bit more as it wouldn't feel like such tedious work trying to entertain fans for their livelihood.

The few YT channels I do enjoy watching are just normal guys who carry day jobs and take off of work to hunt/fish. Not hunt and film for a living. Examples would be The Hunting Beast, Bayside Legion, Panola Productions.

As someone pointed out, Yes I used to complain about the Michael Waddell, Primos, Shockey, etc videos on cable TV being out of touch with the style of hunter/ hunting lifestyle I have. Along came Pinhoti and I thought that was my saving grace as it is similar to my style of turkey hunting. Well, I didn't foresee at the time how quickly the common man's  turkey hunting would be commercialized.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #22 on: September 21, 2021, 07:22:45 PM »
I think its wrong to demonitize any hunting or fishing videos on utube. However I personally don't watch many and won't miss them. That doesn't make what utube is doing right but as a private organization they can call the shots. Thats one of the reasons I don't do Facebook.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Chase0311

« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2021, 02:14:23 PM »
I’m happy to see it. Hopefully all these public land YouTube turkey hunters will begin to go away soon.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 02:26:57 PM by Chase0311 »

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2021, 03:04:21 PM »
WATCH WHAT you wish for, if they are doing this now to the YOUTUBE guy's, they may just be the start of things to come, these type forum's could be next and under attacked... We all may need to rethink this and start trying to defend our hunting heritage regardless.. Just something to think about .... IMO....

Offline St. Augustine Strutter

« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2021, 04:11:07 PM »
Corporate America will do what they want, whenever they want. Whether it makes sense or not. Nudity is allowed on YouTube as far as its considered "educational", not sure how one of these crappie fileting or dove breasting videos wouldn't be considered  "educational". Oh well, as Derek said though I can't really hate on YouTube for this as it may save our reputation towards some of the anti-hunter crowd.

What I will comment on was the other day SeekOne posted on their Instagram story a desperate cry for help begging their following to purchase merchandise off their website "to continue to support them" after YT demonetized their videos. As far as the demonetizing goes I have absolutely no sympathy for anyone who will choose to cry about that. As a previous commenter mentioned there's over 11 million job vacancies in the U.S. currently, go get you a real job and quit banking on that turkey money. I recall watching SeekOne in their early days when they had just a handful of subscribers, I didn't have anything against them when they'd pulled out the camera after getting off of work for the day and heading to the deer stand. But sadly now I just do not care to watch them as they are dipping into the traveling turkey game and western big game hunts (gee, I wonder why...follow the money trail people). As well as the endless sponsorships, promotions, etc. I really would love to see all these guys like SeekOne, THP, Pinhoti have to get back up and get a real job again. After all, I'm sure they'd enjoy their time in the woods a bit more as it wouldn't feel like such tedious work trying to entertain fans for their livelihood.

The few YT channels I do enjoy watching are just normal guys who carry day jobs and take off of work to hunt/fish. Not hunt and film for a living. Examples would be The Hunting Beast, Bayside Legion, Panola Productions.

As someone pointed out, Yes I used to complain about the Michael Waddell, Primos, Shockey, etc videos on cable TV being out of touch with the style of hunter/ hunting lifestyle I have. Along came Pinhoti and I thought that was my saving grace as it is similar to my style of turkey hunting. Well, I didn't foresee at the time how quickly the common man's  turkey hunting would be commercialized.

You sir, absolutely nailed this one. I agree 100% with this comment and I know a large percentage of other hunters do as well. I don’t give a crap what they do for a living, as long as it doesn’t involve pimping out turkey hunting. I hope this ruins the entire commercialization of hunting on YouTube.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 06:23:59 PM by St. Augustine Strutter »

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2021, 07:36:04 AM »
#MakePublicLandGreatAgain
#KeepUrbanHuntingAlive

Seriously. Both are relevant in this situation. SeekOne and their imitators have been the catalyst for urban hunting bans/proposals across the nation. Some things are best left unglamorized, one of those being hunting in the suburbs.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2021, 12:14:42 PM by deerhunt1988 »

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #27 on: September 23, 2021, 10:10:10 AM »
#MakePublicLandGreatAgain
#KeepUrbanHuntingAlive

Seriously. Both are relevant in this situation. SeekOne and their imitators have been the catalyst for urban hunting bans/proposals across the . Some things are best left unglamorized, one of those being hunting in the suburbs.

Point well taken.  The damage done to the image of hunters by these guys shooting deer that, perhaps, five minutes prior, were getting handfed by the next door neighbor can't be overstated. 

...Now, I realize that this statement is an obvious exaggeration, but the message should be clear.  There are circumstances where hunters should have the common sense to realize they are not doing the hunter image any favors by choosing to participate in this kind of "hunting".  I can't imagine how it helps to save our lifestyle by "rubbing the blood" of what we do in the faces of those that may find it distasteful,...and ultimately control our future as hunters.

In my mind, there are times and places where killing a trophy buck is meaningless,...and, quite probably, detrimental to all of us. 

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2021, 12:27:35 PM »
sorry to burst your bubble Jim, but there is an abundance of dumb arses in our social group

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2021, 05:57:37 PM »
They set the rules,they will ban whatever the advertising money tells them too ban.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy