OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: YouTube and Hunting videos  (Read 7468 times)

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: YouTube and Hunting videos
« Reply #60 on: September 27, 2021, 10:13:02 AM »
There has been a concerted effort to shut down/demonetize gun and hunting videos posted on youtoob. Why is that? It is because the powers that be don't approve of it, and they want to limit access to it. Kill the messenger, kill the message. It is that simple.They are hellbent on destroying anything they don't like, and they are using the power of social media to do it, and they don't like us. And they have been succeeding. And when and if they succeed in banning guns and hunting from youtube, internet forums will be next. If there is a problem with local game populations, and over harvest due to hunter numbers, then your state DNR is who to contact and voice concerns to. I think hunters can be their own worst enemies at times. I get it that youtube personality's posting  video's to get viewer clicks that shows a location is dumb, irresponsible, and really bad for local guys hunting there. I would be irritated about that immensely myself. But lets not cut off our nose to spite our face, either.They have a comment section on youtube, let them know how you feel about what they are doing. It will likely have more of an impact on them posting it there, than on here.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #61 on: September 27, 2021, 12:54:21 PM »
There has been a concerted effort to shut down/demonetize gun and hunting videos posted on youtoob. Why is that? It is because the powers that be don't approve of it, and they want to limit access to it. Kill the messenger, kill the message. It is that simple.They are hellbent on destroying anything they don't like, and they are using the power of social media to do it, and they don't like us. And they have been succeeding. And when and if they succeed in banning guns and hunting from youtube, internet forums will be next. If there is a problem with local game populations, and over harvest due to hunter numbers, then your state DNR is who to contact and voice concerns to. I think hunters can be their own worst enemies at times. I get it that youtube personality's posting  video's to get viewer clicks that shows a location is dumb, irresponsible, and really bad for local guys hunting there. I would be irritated about that immensely myself. But lets not cut off our nose to spite our face, either.They have a comment section on youtube, let them know how you feel about what they are doing. It will likely have more of an impact on them posting it there, than on here.
  X3 .. Good post ... Amen again...

Offline idratherb

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #62 on: September 27, 2021, 02:18:45 PM »
good post Ward :you_rock:

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #63 on: September 27, 2021, 06:01:52 PM »
Me apathetic? Nobody who knows me would use that word to describe me ha ha! Anyways, I still don't understand how stopping/banning guys from making videos of their hunts and posting them on social media is going to protect the resource. I mean that line of thought includes arms and ammo manufactures, clothing, and hunting equipment and call makers. Everyone of those are making money off of a public resource, and use it in advertisements to further their business. In the last few years small numbers of activists have used social media to project an image all out of proportion to actual mainstream public opinion.Squeaky wheel gets the grease and all. And lawmakers paid attention, and look what is happening to our country. We must use social media to our advantage to expand the public's exposure to hunting and outdoor pursuits, not limit it. The chasm between urban and rural populations widen with each year. Fewer and fewer people have a connection to the land. We need to use social media to project a positive image, and a united front, and also try to narrow that chasm, or at least slow that gap from widening, or we are going to lose it all in another generation or two.

Huge difference between promoting hunting in general and promoting specific public land.  Is hot spotting or highlighting public ground a positive way to use social media to our advantage?  In the case discussed with Seek One, it was about being demonetized.  They can still share hunts, etc. from what I understand, but will not get paid.  They can earn money another way and still share their hunts in my opinion.  As mentioned previously it’s almost as if highlighting hunting the suburbs has awakened the antis…. Sometimes you need to fly under the radar.  My concerns are not with sharing and promoting hunting with videos, pictures, stories, BUT leave the promotion of YXZ region in XYZ state, XYZ WMA, XYZ National Forest, and honestly XYZ state in general out of the content.  And that goes for individuals on forums and Facebook too.   It’s simply not necessary unless it’s about personal gain.  Bottom line….. it’s selfish.  Let’s not turn it around on concerned hunters as the problem.  Share away, just leave the exploitation of public land out of your content.  Simple fix.  As hunter opportunities are dwindling in these highlighted areas, are some willing to step back, find some humility and make the necessary changes? 

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #64 on: September 27, 2021, 10:09:04 PM »
I agree with what El Pavo says above.  Keep bringing the content.  Leave out the location.  Simple IMHO

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #65 on: September 28, 2021, 06:39:11 AM »
OP, Seek One claims the whole fall season is lost due to $0 income from YT. All videos are up but no $ is paid. Advertising still leads the video too. Per Seek One Instagram from millennial source. YT gets paid but not the producer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #66 on: September 28, 2021, 10:13:03 AM »
I agree with what El Pavo says above.  Keep bringing the content.  Leave out the location.  Simple IMHO
      I do agree on this also.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #67 on: September 28, 2021, 10:19:35 AM »
OP, Seek One claims the whole fall season is lost due to $0 income from YT. All videos are up but no $ is paid. Advertising still leads the video too. Per Seek One Instagram from millennial source. YT gets paid but not the producer.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
This is one of my beefs with youtube also. Making money off of the guys that put in the time and effort to produce good content, then deny them the ability to be paid for their work. Its a win-win for them. Lot of videos lately posted by guys who have popular hunting and shooting shows getting their revenue streams cut off. Hmmm....

Offline TurkeyReaper69

« Reply #68 on: September 28, 2021, 12:25:34 PM »
  Don’t patronize us with the claim of educating others or introducing others for the future of the sport.  It’s about personal gain of some sort….money, fame, etc. 

If you are going to make your dollar off of turkey hunting and exploiting public lands I'd prefer you own up to it rather than hiding behind the ruses El Pavo mentioned. So tired of Catman getting on here talking about his motives and justifying it for the future of the sport. If he truly cared so much about the future of the sport he'd go lobby in DC for public land hunting, or run for office, etc etc. Plenty of better options to ensure the long term future of this sport rather than youtubing.

Offline TurkeyReaper69

« Reply #69 on: September 28, 2021, 12:37:23 PM »
Alot of guides use public ground. Alot of them 100%. It is not cost effective to lease acres of ground to try and make an honest hunt.

There was a post a while back, not long ago. A turkey hunters worst enemy, or something very close. "It's a disgruntled turkey hunter" .
several good friends of mine are inshore fishing guides in Florida. I said to one of them one time "are  you never nervous about taking a client out and them dropping the pin in their phone and coming back to fish themselves?, Because if I was some random client of yours I'd do so in a heartbeat and come back and tear the reds up".

He replied saying he's not really concerned about it, even if some dad and son from Alabama come fish with him he's not too worried about them coming back down and fishing his spot.

I'm sure your wondering why this is relevant.

In my opinion I'd rather have a guide take someone or a group into a national forest and have that spot etched into that person or persons brain permenantly, rather than a youtuber with such a tremendous following such as THP put that elk hunt on the map for hundreds of thousands to see and put the idea in their head of going on a hunt in said state or even so much as said area within a state. In some of these videos by these groups it ain't all that hard to figure out where they are whether it be a local recognizing landmarks, or maybe rules and regulations mentioned that are only applicable to a specific area. On numerous occasions I have been able to pencil in on exactly where someone hunts on youtube on states I'm familiar with. Such as THP and Shane in MS. Dave Owens in NoDak, Montana and FL quota areas among others

Similar to the magazine vs youtube issue that was discussed. A guide may effect one person or a group personally and they will forever remember that spot, but doesn't have the large audience that a popular YouTube group would have.

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #70 on: September 29, 2021, 10:19:54 AM »
Alot of guides use public ground. Alot of them 100%. It is not cost effective to lease acres of ground to try and make an honest hunt.

There was a post a while back, not long ago. A turkey hunters worst enemy, or something very close. "It's a disgruntled turkey hunter" .
several good friends of mine are inshore fishing guides in Florida. I said to one of them one time "are  you never nervous about taking a client out and them dropping the pin in their phone and coming back to fish themselves?, Because if I was some random client of yours I'd do so in a heartbeat and come back and tear the reds up".

He replied saying he's not really concerned about it, even if some dad and son from Alabama come fish with him he's not too worried about them coming back down and fishing his spot.

I'm sure your wondering why this is relevant.

In my opinion I'd rather have a guide take someone or a group into a national forest and have that spot etched into that person or persons brain permenantly, rather than a youtuber with such a tremendous following such as THP put that elk hunt on the map for hundreds of thousands to see and put the idea in their head of going on a hunt in said state or even so much as said area within a state. In some of these videos by these groups it ain't all that hard to figure out where they are whether it be a local recognizing landmarks, or maybe rules and regulations mentioned that are only applicable to a specific area. On numerous occasions I have been able to pencil in on exactly where someone hunts on youtube on states I'm familiar with. Such as THP and Shane in MS. Dave Owens in NoDak, Montana and FL quota areas among others

Similar to the magazine vs youtube issue that was discussed. A guide may effect one person or a group personally and they will forever remember that spot, but doesn't have the large audience that a popular YouTube group would have.

This is spot on!!!!! Show the masses they will follow!