OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Insane Trumpet market right now!

Started by wareagle22, April 20, 2021, 06:46:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wareagle22

I've been watching the Trumpet market on eBay for the past 2 weeks and it's absolutely incredible what people are paying right now for them.   I've never seen trumpets sell for this much money and it's not just the highly sought after trumpet makers.  It's almost every single one that pops up on eBay.    Here's a sample of a few from the past 2 weeks:

Richard Hudson   $270
Kevin Dorsey.      $348
John Koepp.        $226
Daryl Slaton.       $403 & $261
AGE.                   $390, $435, & $495
Brian Mero.          $440
Marlin Watkins.    $811
LF Cox.                $1325
Bill Lester.           $305 with 5 days left

It seems as though the trumpet market has gone the way of ammo.    Big demand and short supply. 

Bedge7767

I understand paying more for ones you can't buy easily but paying twice as much for one the maker will make you in a month or so is crazy to me.
Jim

howl

Trumpets are big on the youtube and rumble. People don't understand about ordering calls but the do understand that big check they got.

Bedge7767

Quote from: howl on April 20, 2021, 08:06:46 PM
Trumpets are big on the youtube and rumble. People don't understand about ordering calls but the do understand that big check they got.

That does make sense.
Jim

Southerngobbler

Lots of stimulus money floating around right now, give it a few more weeks and everyone will have blown it all. The lesson here is don't buy anything that you have to bid on when stimmy checks are being distributed.

Happy

Pretty expensive photo props for facebook.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

ChesterCopperpot

Don't forget that gorgeous Charlie Trotter trumpet (don't think it sold but it was a beaut) or the Rev. Zach Farmer that's on there. But, yeah, Dave Owens blew up the trumpet market! And I kinda hate him for it right now

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

People here are just as responsible for paying the crazy prices and encouraging others to sell at high pricing.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sixes

It seems to have gotten really bad in the last few months.

I saw a Buice made in 2021 with a push in MP in what looked like osage sell immediately for 500 and a Watkins adjustable for 800+.

I wish pot calls would jump like that, I would thin a bunch of mine down.

Gobble!

One from Zach Farmer was posted for about a day before it sold, somewhere around $3,200. Another Wakins on there now. Matching set of Buice's sold for $890. Its pretty wild.

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: davisd9 on April 20, 2021, 10:36:22 PM
People here are just as responsible for paying the crazy prices and encouraging others to sell at high pricing.
Here we go with the "ethics" of selling something for more than what you paid, again. If someone asks what a call is bringing at a certain time and you know for a fact that those calls are bringing $500 on average, I find it disingenuous and dishonest to try and convince that person they should sell it for what they bought it for.
Quote from: Gobble! on April 21, 2021, 10:45:41 AM
One from Zach Farmer was posted for about a day before it sold, somewhere around $3,200. Another Wakins on there now. Matching set of Buice's sold for $890. Its pretty wild.
Someone asked on here recently what a pair of Buice's (a 5" and a 6") would bring and I said likely north of $800 (maybe even reaching $1,000) for the pair and people jumped all over me for suggesting he sell them on eBay for that, as Mr. Buice doesn't get that for his calls. I caught hell over it. But I knew what they were bringing because I watch those auctions. The folks who jumped on me also knew they were bringing that because almost everyone on this forum watches those auctions. So why in the world would you lie and take some moral stance to try and convince someone to sell them for less? What they're bringing on the secondary market is what they're bringing. If you don't want to pay that (I don't; I won't) DON'T. Simple as that. In the end this will all stabilize and there will be a pile of people with thousand dollar calls in their collections that are really worth half.

larry9988

Not a trumpet, but I saw a MAD Super Aluminator Pot sell for over $200 on ebay. I have one in great shape with the original striker and I certainly would take that for mine. I saw a HS Slate Witch sell for $85 and could not believe that either, but it happened. And yes, I agree that Dave Owens had a lot to do the with the trumpet value increase. At current prices, me and a lot of y'all on OG are sitting on top of a small fortune. Might be time to sell down to what I use instead of what I just look at sitting in a cabinet.

BigSlam51

Quote from: Gobble! on April 21, 2021, 10:45:41 AM
IMO that was a reasonable price for the Buice matched set. Black and white ebony if I do recall, not a cheap species of wood to buy. Can't remember what they had for mouth pieces or ferrules but I know what I paid for a tulipwood matched set from him and it was very close to what those went for. There is no way those calls will lose value, Mr. Buice is a legend.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Crawdad

I get nowhere near that for my Trumpets even though I spend a lot of time to not only sound good but I like for them to be pleasing to the eye, so I take a  few extra steps with mine,  but the whole point I want to make is, if you want a Trumpet that doesn't break the bank and sounds amazing,  then get ahold of Darrell Gipson. I received one of Darrells Trumpets a few days ago and let me tell you it was the best sounding Trumpet I've ever heard,  with his new internals he's really got something there,  he sells them on the - side of a 100.00. Check it out and you'll see for yourself!

ChesterCopperpot

Quote from: Crawdad on April 21, 2021, 05:02:35 PM
I get nowhere near that for my Trumpets even though I spend a lot of time to not only sound good but I like for them to be pleasing to the eye, so I take a  few extra steps with mine,  but the whole point I want to make is, if you want a Trumpet that doesn't break the bank and sounds amazing,  then get ahold of Darrell Gipson. I received one of Darrells Trumpets a few days ago and let me tell you it was the best sounding Trumpet I've ever heard,  with his new internals he's really got something there,  he sells them on the - side of a 100.00. Check it out and you'll see for yourself!
Don't know Gipson's calls, but will check him out! Agreed, there are many, MANY callmakers without year or more wait times turning out incredible trumpets for under $150. Don't know that they'll ever be highly collectible or appreciate like a lot of those currently demanding big money, but as far as hunting calls there's a pile to choose from that won't break the bank and sound as good as any.