OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Insane Trumpet market right now!  (Read 12428 times)

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
Re: Insane Trumpet market right now!
« Reply #45 on: May 01, 2021, 09:47:34 PM »
Very few can you get what you paid in aftermarket so most would have to lower price to meet secondary market.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline hpo

• they call me Hank
    • Gobbler Down Custom Calls - Facebook page
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2021, 08:09:14 PM »
Seems Marlin Watkins is selling a trumpet market value on the Bay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133745905366?hash=item1f23e08ed6:g:-ncAAOSwX1VggMf5

Unconfirmed if it is him but it's written as if it is and it comes from Ohio, which is where I believe he resides. Price at 435$ and started at 200$.
Shoot'em in the Face!

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2021, 08:36:34 PM »
Seems Marlin Watkins is selling a trumpet market value on the Bay right now:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/133745905366?hash=item1f23e08ed6:g:-ncAAOSwX1VggMf5

Unconfirmed if it is him but it's written as if it is and it comes from Ohio, which is where I believe he resides. Price at 435$ and started at 200$.
It's him

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Offline MS

« Reply #48 on: May 04, 2021, 04:59:33 PM »
There are call makers who know their calls sell for 2-3 times purchase price. They could easily double their price and still sell all they choose to make. They choose to keep it more affordable for customers. They try not to keep making them for guys who just flip them for profit.

When I purchased my first Don Bald trumpet, the price he quoted (and asked if I thought was fair) was ridiculously low for the time I know it must have taken him to make it.  Carved and painted Cocobolo trumpet, intricately carved ivory mouthpiece, carved sterling silver band and carved and painted lip stop.  A true work of art.  Rev. Farmer asked me what I wanted to pay for the trumpet I got from him.  The price we agreed upon was easily six times less the price it would fetch on eBay.  Some guys make calls for the enjoyment of pursuing an artform that is extremely difficult to master (making trumpets) and some for profit and as a business and some for both.  Any motivation is ok, but it all comes down to supply and demand.  If there were dozens of Rev. Farmers' calls floating around on the market or you could order and get one in 2-3 months, his calls wouldn't fetch $3000-plus.  But having made about a dozen trumpets myself, it is a time-consuming, exacting process.  Drilling a buffalo horn mouthpiece with a 3/32" bit, step drilling the horn to the right dimensions, getting everything to line up right, fitting and finishing are a process that takes a lot of time to figure out and master.  I can turn and finish a slate or glass call in less than one hour, total.  Trumpets take several hours, at least for me.

Online ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2021, 07:17:13 PM »
There are call makers who know their calls sell for 2-3 times purchase price. They could easily double their price and still sell all they choose to make. They choose to keep it more affordable for customers. They try not to keep making them for guys who just flip them for profit.

When I purchased my first Don Bald trumpet, the price he quoted (and asked if I thought was fair) was ridiculously low for the time I know it must have taken him to make it.  Carved and painted Cocobolo trumpet, intricately carved ivory mouthpiece, carved sterling silver band and carved and painted lip stop.  A true work of art.  Rev. Farmer asked me what I wanted to pay for the trumpet I got from him.  The price we agreed upon was easily six times less the price it would fetch on eBay.  Some guys make calls for the enjoyment of pursuing an artform that is extremely difficult to master (making trumpets) and some for profit and as a business and some for both.  Any motivation is ok, but it all comes down to supply and demand.  If there were dozens of Rev. Farmers' calls floating around on the market or you could order and get one in 2-3 months, his calls wouldn't fetch $3000-plus.  But having made about a dozen trumpets myself, it is a time-consuming, exacting process.  Drilling a buffalo horn mouthpiece with a 3/32" bit, step drilling the horn to the right dimensions, getting everything to line up right, fitting and finishing are a process that takes a lot of time to figure out and master.  I can turn and finish a slate or glass call in less than one hour, total.  Trumpets take several hours, at least for me.
If I had the money I’d probably pay $2,500 or so for a Farmer just because there’s likely not going to be anymore made and I sure would love to own one. Yep, supply and demand, and with regards to makers still making calls but with long lists, PATIENCE.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2021, 07:57:50 PM »

$2,500 will not get you a Farmer on the secondary market I’m afraid.
Royal Slam 2008

Online ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2021, 09:47:47 PM »

$2,500 will not get you a Farmer on the secondary market I’m afraid.
Yeah, I know, but that’s what I’d be willing to pay. Even if I had it I wouldn’t pay $3,500 or more. Luckily I don’t have to worry about it. I don’t have it and likely never will

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Seth41

« Reply #52 on: January 23, 2022, 12:14:54 PM »
I've only got two trumpet calls and one wingbone call. I think you have to figure on what it takes to make either, labor-wise, because material-wise it really isn't much. So...if you figure a couple hours per call at, say $50 per hour, the call should be in the $100 range or thereabouts. Now...if I'm off on my estimates I'd like to hear from a trumpet or wingbone maker who says it requires far more labor time than what I've stated. Just sayin'.
Takes me much longer than 2 hours to build a trumpet, and material cost can easily be $50+ depending on the wood,MP,etc...Maybe I am a slow builder, but it takes me a lot of time to get things right. I could shave time off of my builds by not turning my own ferrules (or not using ferrules), or leaving the MP tapered and not contoured. I could cut material cost by only using inexpensive wood, but I like cool wood, and I think most people buying calls do too. There are also expenses like finish, solvents, rags, machine/tool repairs, drill bits/reamers, dust protection, CA glue, epoxy, sandpaper, you would be surprised how much sandpaper a guy can go through. I have sold a lot of trumpets for $100.00, but really just doing it for fun at that price.

I just read this topic for the first time.  I know its 8 months old but I wanted to respond to the trumpet building time.  I’ve been turning 8 hours a day for going on 25 years building taper bored musical instruments that are built extremely close to trumpet calls.  Bagpipe bores have the same characteristics as a trumpet with a tapered bore with a short throat below the reed staple “mouthpiece on a trumpet”. I still spend 8 hours minimum to make a trumpet call and build it using the same methods I use to build woodwind musical instruments.  There are plainer designs that could be done quicker but the method I use takes at least a normal full days work, often it goes into a second day depending on the call.

Seth

Sorry for the late reply on this thread but I just came across it today.
Seth Hamon
2024 Grand Nationals 1st Trumpet Tom Turpin Award
2024 Grand Nationals 2nd 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals 5th Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2023 Grand Nationals - 2nd - Jordan Yelper
2023 Grand Nationals 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Grand Nationals 3rd Place 2-12 Turpin Trumpet
2022 Buckeye World 1st & 2nd - Crow Call
2022 Buckeye Worlds 2nd Trumpet Hunting