OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Insane Trumpet market right now!  (Read 12554 times)

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Insane Trumpet market right now!
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2021, 12:26:26 PM »
You tube caused the trumpet craze. It does not matter because most of the guys buying them wont put in the work to learn to use them. They think they can buy a trumpet , pick it up and sound like Zach Farmer. Another example is Mark Prudhommes trumpets. He makes a really good one. Dave owens does a you tube video and everybody wants a MP trumpet. They think they can buy that trumpet and sound like Mark right off the bat. It alludes them that Mark has put in a ton of time learning to run it like that. Most of these guys will not put in a quarter of the time to learn it. The craze will die down.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2021, 01:28:58 PM »
This craze is similar to when the Haint gobble call came out. Everybody bought them and almost nobody can play them. However, for the few that do eventually become proficient with them, they will kill many more turkeys than they did before.

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2021, 04:12:44 PM »
This craze is similar to when the Haint gobble call came out. Everybody bought them and almost nobody can play them. However, for the few that do eventually become proficient with them, they will kill many more turkeys than they did before.

Shhhhhhhh

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2021, 07:18:37 PM »
its a wonder more callmakers don't sell on ebay or raise their prices

Offline Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2021, 07:31:44 PM »
its a wonder more callmakers don't sell on ebay or raise their prices

Some makers do sell their trumpets on ebay.
Jim

Offline mmclain

« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2021, 08:38:51 PM »
I noticed the up tic in orders.  I don’t watch eBay.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2021, 01:15:53 PM »
Guess we better keep an eye on eBay for after they all give up.

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2021, 05:30:36 PM »
You tube caused the trumpet craze. It does not matter because most of the guys buying them wont put in the work to learn to use them. They think they can buy a trumpet , pick it up and sound like Zach Farmer. Another example is Mark Prudhommes trumpets. He makes a really good one. Dave owens does a you tube video and everybody wants a MP trumpet. They think they can buy that trumpet and sound like Mark right off the bat. It alludes them that Mark has put in a ton of time learning to run it like that. Most of these guys will not put in a quarter of the time to learn it. The craze will die down.
I agree with this. Took me 3 years of practice to sound good enough to call in a bird with one. Still working on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline turkeyhunter91

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2021, 08:12:28 PM »
this is my first year using a trumpet, it has nothing to do with you tube and more to do with reading this forum the last few years haha, i also i like using new calls. over the winter i did a lot of reading and experimenting and built a few, so far i am happy with how things are going, i used it to call in my stepsons bird in youth season. it has defiantly been the hardest call for me to learn and some days it seems like i have more trouble than others but i keep clucking away.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2021, 03:04:34 PM »
If Dave Owens posted a youtube video declaring that eating Gobbler turds off public ground would increase your odds of killing one, his pinhead cult following would be gobbling them up  :laugh:

Thats a fact. I started to make a post wtb dave owens used mouthcalls as a joke but some of the girls would get their panties in a wad.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2021, 04:38:37 PM »
I've only got two trumpet calls and one wingbone call. I think you have to figure on what it takes to make either, labor-wise, because material-wise it really isn't much. So...if you figure a couple hours per call at, say $50 per hour, the call should be in the $100 range or thereabouts. Now...if I'm off on my estimates I'd like to hear from a trumpet or wingbone maker who says it requires far more labor time than what I've stated. Just sayin'.

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2021, 06:52:04 PM »
You forgot to add in the thousands of dollars worth of equipment that the big name makers have, got to pay for it some way. Also I've made trumpets that the mat. cost over $100.

Offline gergg

• Longbeard
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2021, 07:21:40 PM »
I've only got two trumpet calls and one wingbone call. I think you have to figure on what it takes to make either, labor-wise, because material-wise it really isn't much. So...if you figure a couple hours per call at, say $50 per hour, the call should be in the $100 range or thereabouts. Now...if I'm off on my estimates I'd like to hear from a trumpet or wingbone maker who says it requires far more labor time than what I've stated. Just sayin'.
Takes me much longer than 2 hours to build a trumpet, and material cost can easily be $50+ depending on the wood,MP,etc...Maybe I am a slow builder, but it takes me a lot of time to get things right. I could shave time off of my builds by not turning my own ferrules (or not using ferrules), or leaving the MP tapered and not contoured. I could cut material cost by only using inexpensive wood, but I like cool wood, and I think most people buying calls do too. There are also expenses like finish, solvents, rags, machine/tool repairs, drill bits/reamers, dust protection, CA glue, epoxy, sandpaper, you would be surprised how much sandpaper a guy can go through. I have sold a lot of trumpets for $100.00, but really just doing it for fun at that price.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2021, 07:44:44 PM »
Takes me much longer than 2 hours to build a trumpet, and material cost can easily be $50+ depending on the wood,MP,etc...Maybe I am a slow builder, but it takes me a lot of time to get things right. I could shave time off of my builds by not turning my own ferrules (or not using ferrules), or leaving the MP tapered and not contoured. I could cut material cost by only using inexpensive wood, but I like cool wood, and I think most people buying calls do too. There are also expenses like finish, solvents, rags, machine/tool repairs, drill bits/reamers, dust protection, CA glue, epoxy, sandpaper, you would be surprised how much sandpaper a guy can go through. I have sold a lot of trumpets for $100.00, but really just doing it for fun at that price.
I would venture to say there’s a WHOLE lot more time going into trumpets than say pot calls.

Offline BigSlam51

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2021, 09:36:13 PM »
I would venture to say there’s a WHOLE lot more time going into trumpets than say pot calls.

I know a couple guys that can turn trumpets pretty quick.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk