OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Insane Trumpet market right now!  (Read 12429 times)

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
Re: Insane Trumpet market right now!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2021, 07:29:12 AM »
I know I got more than two hours in just getting my winbones ready to START building them, lol.

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2021, 11:00:31 AM »
The number of hours it takes to build something has no impact on the price unless the time limits production to less than demand. Then the price will go up as people try to improve their ability to attain the item that is in high demand.

There are makers who command a higher price than the quality would draw if made by someone else. That's just how it goes. Sometimes it is all strategy. Raise your price and take it easy until people are on a waiting list and talking about it. There's a whole social game that goes on with people touting and shilling for makers to increase their prestige and the price of their collection.

However, as most of the quality of sound comes from the player, I personally cannot see paying extreme prices for a hunting call.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2021, 01:16:50 PM »
However, as most of the quality of sound comes from the player, I personally cannot see paying extreme prices for a hunting call.
There’s a reason people like Mark Prudhomme started making their own trumpets: he couldn’t achieve the sound he wanted from any of the trumpets he was running. That to say, once you can run a trumpet, you can run a trumpet. At that point the internals are what’s controlling sound. Take someone like Greg Gwaltney who commented above, he’s spent the last year fooling with internals that add rasp. I can run his old internals and it’s a cleaner hen, run the new one identically and get a raspy hen. Sound damn sure ain’t all in the player. Buy what you want, but most times you get what you pay for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline howl

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2021, 07:03:10 PM »
There’s a reason people like Mark Prudhomme started making their own trumpets: he couldn’t achieve the sound he wanted from any of the trumpets he was running. That to say, once you can run a trumpet, you can run a trumpet. At that point the internals are what’s controlling sound. Take someone like Greg Gwaltney who commented above, he’s spent the last year fooling with internals that add rasp. I can run his old internals and it’s a cleaner hen, run the new one identically and get a raspy hen. Sound damn sure ain’t all in the player. Buy what you want, but most times you get what you pay for.

I suggest you pick one trumpet and learn to play it instead of chasing sound with a bunch of different ones. It's much easier to tell what is going on when you are only dealing with dynamic air flow of one design versus multiple. A trumpet is an air modulator and amplifier. You are the caller.

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Insane Trumpet market right now!
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2021, 07:17:37 PM »

I suggest you pick one trumpet and learn to play it instead of chasing sound with a bunch of different ones. It's much easier to tell what is going on when you are only dealing with dynamic air flow of one design versus multiple. A trumpet is an air modulator and amplifier. You are the caller.
It’s not a matter of not having learned to play one trumpet. It’s a matter of recognizing that different mouthpiece designs, different diameter holes in mouthpieces, different internals, different bell designs all affect sound. You pick up different trumpets they sound different. Makers change things to make them sound different. Period. If that weren’t true people like Ralph Permar wouldn’t offer different designs for different sounds, trumpets to sound like young hens to trumpets that sound like gobblers.

« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 07:32:40 PM by ChesterCopperpot »

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #35 on: April 25, 2021, 08:13:29 PM »

That there was the best piece of advice I got when learning how to run a trumpet a dozen or so years ago.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2021, 04:14:24 PM »
I've got to apologize to you trumpet and wingbone makers. Obviously my "estimates" were way off. You guys are more dedicated and concerned about making a good call that sounds turkey for your customers than you are about money. It's a pride issue on our part and I understand that. I'm an electrician/electronics technologist/software engineer by trade...as you, my pride comes from perfectly satisfied customers...not what renumeration I receive. Thanks guys.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2021, 10:00:25 AM »
People here are just as responsible for paying the crazy prices and encouraging others to sell at high pricing.
Here we go with the “ethics” of selling something for more than what you paid, again. If someone asks what a call is bringing at a certain time and you know for a fact that those calls are bringing $500 on average, I find it disingenuous and dishonest to try and convince that person they should sell it for what they bought it for.

Sorry for the later response but I was in Kansas hunting rather than sitting on the forum arguing.  No one ever said they should sell for the asking price from a certain call maker.  I see nothing wrong with someone making a little profit on a valuable call that one usually has to wait to purchase.  The problem is when a person is doubling the price for a call they have not had but for a couple months to a year.  Offering a call for $50-100 bucks profit so that the buyer does not have to wait is reasonable.  Guys seeing they can pay $250-300 for a call and then flip it for $500+ right away is the issue, as well as those encouraging them to do so. Now if the call is an older call then of course the value has risen more and the price could be higher so a lot goes in to determine value, but on a newer call it is the call maker that deserves the profit and not the flippers.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2021, 11:44:32 AM »
People here are just as responsible for paying the crazy prices and encouraging others to sell at high pricing.
Here we go with the “ethics” of selling something for more than what you paid, again. If someone asks what a call is bringing at a certain time and you know for a fact that those calls are bringing $500 on average, I find it disingenuous and dishonest to try and convince that person they should sell it for what they bought it for.

Sorry for the later response but I was in Kansas hunting rather than sitting on the forum arguing.  No one ever said they should sell for the asking price from a certain call maker.  I see nothing wrong with someone making a little profit on a valuable call that one usually has to wait to purchase.  The problem is when a person is doubling the price for a call they have not had but for a couple months to a year.  Offering a call for $50-100 bucks profit so that the buyer does not have to wait is reasonable.  Guys seeing they can pay $250-300 for a call and then flip it for $500+ right away is the issue, as well as those encouraging them to do so. Now if the call is an older call then of course the value has risen more and the price could be higher so a lot goes in to determine value, but on a newer call it is the call maker that deserves the profit and not the flippers.
I ain’t arguing with you. I do inherently disagree with you. Hope you had success in Kansas.

Offline larry9988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #39 on: April 28, 2021, 01:39:15 PM »
Takes me 4-5 hours to make a trumpet plus materials, that's the main reason I don't sell many trumpets. The average hunter thinks $100 is too much for a call, but when it comes down to the amount of time involved $100 is a bargain. I just make a few each year to make sure I remember how, keep my favorites and give some to friends and family. I don't make them to make money, I make them because I like too. I would rather keep them or give them away, than have to sell them cheap to to please a buyer. I like giving calls to people, I have made some good friends that way. I have given several calls to people on OG and they have all been most gracious. I could never get enough out of the calls I make, to pay for the time I put into call making, I am too selective on the sound a call must make to ever be able to produce very many calls. I have always felt that a quality made, good sounding trumpet is worth about $150- $200 whom ever the maker may be.

Offline Ridge Strutter

« Reply #40 on: April 28, 2021, 01:52:56 PM »
What about the person that buys a house, adds $2500 of paint and $8,000 worth of new flooring and then flips it in 4-6 months for $80k profit?? Or the guy who purchases a used car, puts on new tires and rims and flips it for $2500 profit in 3 weeks??

What a person can do is entirely decided by what people will do (I.e pay).  Profit is not a sin.  The idea that someone is morally obligated to get back a minimum return on something is a dangerous slope.  Next will be limiting ones salary to what  “they” think is worth while. Calls selling for $500 dollars is a limited market, And the makers know that or they’d be $500 from them...... and then they’d be on eBay for $1000.????.  If one doesn’t want to wait then they will play to play.  Don’t see the problem.  Personally I have more patience than money, so I’ll wait.????

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2021, 05:40:01 PM »
There are call makers who know their calls sell for 2-3 times purchase price. They could easily double their price and still sell all they choose to make. They choose to keep it more affordable for customers. They try not to keep making them for guys who just flip them for profit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2021, 06:45:18 PM »
Takes me 4-5 hours to make a trumpet plus materials, that's the main reason I don't sell many trumpets. The average hunter thinks $100 is too much for a call, but when it comes down to the amount of time involved $100 is a bargain. I just make a few each year to make sure I remember how, keep my favorites and give some to friends and family. I don't make them to make money, I make them because I like too. I would rather keep them or give them away, than have to sell them cheap to to please a buyer. I like giving calls to people, I have made some good friends that way. I have given several calls to people on OG and they have all been most gracious. I could never get enough out of the calls I make, to pay for the time I put into call making, I am too selective on the sound a call must make to ever be able to produce very many calls. I have always felt that a quality made, good sounding trumpet is worth about $150- $200 whom ever the maker may be.

$100 was cheap for a good trumpet before all this madness.   A very good trumpet that you can run well is priceless.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline hpo

• they call me Hank
    • Gobbler Down Custom Calls - Facebook page
« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2021, 05:58:31 PM »
That you can run well.... Key nugget for any call(er).
Shoot'em in the Face!

Offline mmclain

« Reply #44 on: May 01, 2021, 12:17:01 AM »

$100 was cheap for a good trumpet before all this madness.   A very good trumpet that you can run well is priceless.
I don’t pay any attention to prices I just don’t feel it’s appropriate as a call maker to base prices on secondary market.