OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trumpet Question

Started by Bottomland, January 12, 2022, 10:05:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bottomland

I want to get a custom trumpet made from a piece of wood off the property I hunt as like a memorabilia piece.  Property is in central Alabama and I know for a fact we have some Osage orange trees so I think that will work perfect from what I have researched already.

With that being said..... can anyone comment on  what section of the tree is best to use? Limb or trunk or what?  What characteristics am I looking for the right quality of the actual wood? old tree or young tree?

Is it best to cut some wood out a recently fallen tree or should I cut a fresh one down and use it?

I would assume I need to let it dry.  How long do I need to let it dry for if so?

Please share any call makers that could do this for me.  I know everyone probably has long waitlists so I don't mind waiting a long time.

Thanks for any information

ChiefBubba

I did this with some wood from my families farm in SC. Although it wasn't a trumpet it was mainly pot calls and a couple of boxes. It took a couple of years to dry out the wood I had unless it was cut already. I had Pappy do a couple calls for me. He was a wizard when it came to that wood. Although try as he could he couldn't get my old Barn wood to to sound good at all. lol Hopefully some of the call makers will post. Bubba

misfire

The better growth will be from the trunk. If you air dry, figure one year per inch of thickness. Minimum size blank would need to be 1.25x1.25x6
Pray as if everything depends on God, work like everything depends on you

www.misfiregamecalls.net

mmclain

If it's green wood leave plenty of extra.  Osage may surface check If it dries too fast.