turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Primos Strutter Blind

Started by Ranger, January 20, 2019, 11:45:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranger

Have you guys seen this ridiculous crap?  Sad to see a call company sell out so bad, the strutter decoy craze was bad enough but this fanning/reaping has reached an all time low
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

kyturkeyhunter4

Yeah I've seen it alot of people like hunting that way but it's not for me.

Ranger

What we as turkey hunters need to stand up and admit is if you understand turkey biology then this is not another approach to taking your gobbler.  This is not just a different tactic to bag your gobbler, it's specifically using turkey behavior against them to leverage the kill.  I'm not an elitist that judges how others hunt, but this is not just how you choose to hunt.  This isn't a strategy, it's more of a manipulation based off science and behavior, and being called hunting.  You may go for it, but you haven't done much
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

fallhnt

Quote from: Ranger on January 20, 2019, 12:18:41 PM
What we as turkey hunters need to stand up and admit is if you understand turkey biology then this is not another approach to taking your gobbler.  This is not just a different tactic to bag your gobbler, it's specifically using turkey behavior against them to leverage the kill.  I'm not an elitist that judges how others hunt, but this is not just how you choose to hunt.  This isn't a strategy, it's more of a manipulation based off science and behavior, and being called hunting.  You may go for it, but you haven't done much
You described turkey hunting. What's the issue? I use gobble calls,kee kee runs and jake decoys in the Spring.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Gobble!

notsure

So, for all the purists oh-so appalled at people hunting turkeys from inside a blind (Gasp!!!), are you willing to give up your $10 a shot, 70-yard plus tungsten shotgun shells? How about those $100 choke tubes that mate so well with said paycheck busting ammunition? Maybe we should all just sport a loin cloth, wing bone call and chuck spears at our favorite query. But then again, one of us cromags might start thinking outside of the box and tie some grass and twigs to their loin cloth in order to blend in a little better than the average dupe donning "natural flaxseed" brown. And that just wouldn't do for purist set! I mean, we've got to maintain our principles!

Gooserbat

And we all just want to go hunting and have a good time...as long as it's our way.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

LaLongbeard

Agreed. If I had to stoop to such gimmicks to kill a gobbler I'd take up fishing. Or at the very least keep it to myself. I laugh every time someone gets butt hurt when someone says something about blinds/decoys/fanning etc. they just admitted to the world they can't kill a gobbler without such tactics lol.
Also my choke tube cost $19.00 and I don't shoot TSS.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

SteelerFan

What could possibly go wrong?

Greg Massey

Quote from: SteelerFan on January 20, 2019, 02:48:30 PM

You need the other half for a good umbrella ... each his own , buy what you want... just not my style ..I do like his camo.. nice wear ...

buzzardroost

I have quit hunting around farmland because that's where this crap gets used and they wipe out every field bird in short order.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

Anything for a social media hero picture. 

If anyone thinks this is a good idea for turkey hunting, go for it.     
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Happy

Quote from: SteelerFan on January 20, 2019, 02:48:30 PM

Might need #5 tss for that one. That's a big bird.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

TauntoHawk

If I thumped out what looks like a 75lb strutter image the birds I'd hunt wouldnt stop running til they hit the next county.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BB30

I don't reap don't do any of that and not sure I agree with it being legal primarily for safety reasons but what you just stated "a manipulation based off science and behavior" is a poor argument considering calling a turkey in would be based off manipulating their science and behavior.

It seems to me sometimes people that argue against it have sour grapes due to believing there should only be one right way to kill a turkey and it chaps your butt that someone else killed a gobbler  that you don't perceive as legitimate.

Again, I don't like it and it's not the way i was taught to hunt. I believe the true enjoyment and addiction of the sport is working a bird to a call and winning the chess match or losing the chess match for that matter. But why get worked up over what someone else chooses to do. Just know in the back of your mind that they are truly missing out on one of the most magical and unique experiences you can have in the woods and if you ever get the chance to mentor a new hunter do it and teach them the right way to do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk