News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

I Can't Believe What I Just Watched

Started by MK M GOBL, April 11, 2018, 11:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marc

Quote from: davisd9 on April 11, 2018, 11:36:46 AM
I try to worry about how I hunt and really do not care about the next guy's methods as long as it is within the limits of the law.  It may not be how I want to hunt, but we all take certain risks and it is up for each individual hunter to decide for themselves.
I would for the most part agree with this line of thinking to some degree...

However, I do feel that hunters should be the biggest stewards of both conservation and hunting...  There are certain means and methods which should not be used if the success rate is too high, or the danger/risk level increases too much.

If for instance there were regulations which allowed hunters to shoot birds from the roost, I would hope that turkey hunters themselves would oppose this ardently.   

As far as the reaping...  I honestly do not know enough about it to have an informed opinion.  But from what I do know, I believe it should not be allowed on any public land (due to safety)...  Let the states decide if and where it should be legal otherwise...  And if legal...  Hunter beware.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

silvestris

Quote from: TauntoHawk on April 12, 2018, 01:23:35 PM
YouTube is killing turkey hunting

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Well said.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

dublelung

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 12, 2018, 12:30:48 PM
Quote from: dublelung on April 12, 2018, 08:02:53 AM
With what turkey killing has become I don't see how anyone could be shocked at the antics some "hunters" use to kill a turkey. From full flocks of dekes to animated moving turkey parts, to crawling into a shooting house and bushwacking. It's not about calling turkeys anymore, it's simply about making them die at any cost.
If you don't think calling is involved while being in a blind then you are nuts. Some of us no longer have a choice but to hunt that way and it is far from a sure thing.

If you don't know the difference between a blind and a shooting house then you're the one who's nuts.

Speaking of blinds though, and without derailing the post, just curious why you can hunt but think you have no choice but to hunt from a blind?

Marc

With what turkey killing has become I don't see how anyone could be shocked at the antics some "hunters" use to kill a turkey. From full flocks of dekes to animated moving turkey parts, to crawling into a shooting house and bushwacking. It's not about calling turkeys anymore, it's simply about making them die at any cost.
I believe it is "generational."

I have seen it in waterfowling, and even dove hunting...  The killing of game is more important than the means...  High shooting and water swatting on waterfowl...  I have watched adults and kids alike shooting dove from trees and telephone lines (dove hunting to me is all about wing-shooting)....

Mojo ducks and dove (with spinning wings to attract birds), electronic calling for geese, and now electronic decoys for turkeys...

Some degree is due to time and access to hunting, and hunters want to be successful with the limited amount of time and access they have (if you only got to go hunting once a year, most of us would become far less critical as to the means of take)...  Some of it is due to the increasing attitude of "entitlement," and the lack of experience in knowing the satisfaction of earning a goal (such as a harvested bird).

As to the need for shooting in a blind, I know of a few people who have physical conditions which would prevent them from hunting comfortably from the ground, and a blind allows them to hunt comfortably...

I am personally inclined to hunt from a blind when I have one of my small children along with me...  Tough enough to get them to sit quietly (at 5 and 7 years old), getting them to sit still & quiet is a pipe dream...

Hunting a large open field or pasture would also make me consider the use of a blind...  Although I did get "caught" crossing an open pasture (I was trying to cross the pasture to the wooded area, when I heard the birds too close) a couple years back, and killed a bird lying prone in the field.  I would not want to hang out for a long time lying on the wet cold ground in the spring morning though....
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Old Gobbler

Should be illegal it looks so unsafe ,  in fact I plan on attending the Florida game commission meeting,  and showing the b.o.d. a few things if I have the chance

I encourage any of you to thumbs down that junk on YouTube

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Sir-diealot

Quote from: dublelung on April 12, 2018, 03:01:04 PM
If you don't think calling is involved while being in a blind then you are nuts. Some of us no longer have a choice but to hunt that way and it is far from a sure thing.

If you don't know the difference between a blind and a shooting house then you're the one who's nuts.

Speaking of blinds though, and without derailing the post, just curious why you can hunt but think you have no choice but to hunt from a blind?
First off I thought you were referring to a blind, never heard of a shooting hut unless maybe you mean one of those Redneck Blind type deals so I do apologize.

I grew up with severe ADD/ADHD and have never in my life been good at sitting still and believe me I have tried. (By the way if you ever have a kid or a grandkid with this or Tourette Syndrome don't force them to sit still, if makes them sleep very poorly as all that bottled energy makes them toss and turn as they sleep.) Because of that and more so because of my last car accident I have problems with my back and hips, I can't sit on the ground at all without moving, can't even last 30 seconds, the pain is to much and I have tried those little seats that get you a few inches off the ground and they do not work so I sit in a chair that swivels inside of the blind that helps to cover up the movement that I have to constantly make, whether it be moving my legs, bending forward at the hips and putting head between my knees to stretch my back or having to stand up and take a couple steps to help my back and hips. I have to take 100Mcg. of Fentanyl and also Oxycodone and several anti-inflammatory medications every day to deal with the pain so you can imagine how hard hunting is on me, but I was unable to do it for 17 years and I am glad that I can get out there again with the meds I am on now. (I don't take the oxy when I drive, babysit or handle a firearm because of how it affects me) so you see it is my only choice.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

sasquatch1

And some people believe that the inherit danger of AR 15s are reason to make laws against them!

Let's stop giving away freedoms for feel good reasons. Do what one feels necessary for their own safety and leave me to control mine.

By the way I have never reaped or used a blind or decoys. So dnt say I'm defending reaping cuz I do it.

I'm with making it illegal for conservation reasons, NOT to protect ppl from themselves!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dublelung

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 12, 2018, 04:41:41 PM

First off I thought you were referring to a blind, never heard of a shooting hut unless maybe you mean one of those Redneck Blind type deals so I do apologize.

I grew up with severe ADD/ADHD and have never in my life been good at sitting still and believe me I have tried. (By the way if you ever have a kid or a grandkid with this or Tourette Syndrome don't force them to sit still, if makes them sleep very poorly as all that bottled energy makes them toss and turn as they sleep.) Because of that and more so because of my last car accident I have problems with my back and hips, I can't sit on the ground at all without moving, can't even last 30 seconds, the pain is to much and I have tried those little seats that get you a few inches off the ground and they do not work so I sit in a chair that swivels inside of the blind that helps to cover up the movement that I have to constantly make, whether it be moving my legs, bending forward at the hips and putting head between my knees to stretch my back or having to stand up and take a couple steps to help my back and hips. I have to take 100Mcg. of Fentanyl and also Oxycodone and several anti-inflammatory medications every day to deal with the pain so you can imagine how hard hunting is on me, but I was unable to do it for 17 years and I am glad that I can get out there again with the meds I am on now. (I don't take the oxy when I drive, babysit or handle a firearm because of how it affects me) so you see it is my only choice.

I actually did have a son with ADHD and it was rough for him to sit still. He's 27 now and still fidgety, but manages. I've also got 2 grandsons who are fidgety and can't hardly take the 2 of them at the same time. I also take a small 3 pole stake blind and stick up in front of them when we go. I'm glad you're able to get out there and enjoy yourself hunting. I wasn't directing my shooting house sitting at anyone who has kids or has health issues such as what you explained. I'm referring to able bodied healthy men who get in permanent elevated shooting houses, spread out the flock, and then shoot the gobbler when he comes to join. Yes it's legal, some may even call it ethical, but it AIN'T turkey hunting.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: dublelung on April 12, 2018, 06:16:50 PM

I actually did have a son with ADHD and it was rough for him to sit still. He's 27 now and still fidgety, but manages. I've also got 2 grandsons who are fidgety and can't hardly take the 2 of them at the same time. I also take a small 3 pole stake blind and stick up in front of them when we go. I'm glad you're able to get out there and enjoy yourself hunting. I wasn't directing my shooting house sitting at anyone who has kids or has health issues such as what you explained. I'm referring to able bodied healthy men who get in permanent elevated shooting houses, spread out the flock, and then shoot the gobbler when he comes to join. Yes it's legal, some may even call it ethical, but it AIN'T turkey hunting.
I understand where you are coming from now. I used to like treestand hunting, I would like to try it again for deer hunting but fear falling and getting hurt again, I have had 2 major accidents, there one seems like it was worse because of all the broken bones and all but to be honest I did not break a single bone or get any scars from my last accident and it has affected my life far worse than the first one. I have a thing I typed out because I got asked about all my injuries so many times that I got sick of typing it so now I just copy and paste it. I will send it to you in a PM so that it does not take up more room here and then you will understand better. I kinda go into it a bit in my introduce yourself thread but not all of it.

My best friend has been through a lot with cancer, I wish I could afford to get him one of those huts, it is so hard for him to do stuff now.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

sasquatch1

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 12, 2018, 06:34:25 PM

I understand where you are coming from now. I used to like treestand hunting, I would like to try it again for deer hunting but fear falling and getting hurt again, I have had 2 major accidents, there one seems like it was worse because of all the broken bones and all but to be honest I did not break a single bone or get any scars from my last accident and it has affected my life far worse than the first one. I have a thing I typed out because I got asked about all my injuries so many times that I got sick of typing it so now I just copy and paste it. I will send it to you in a PM so that it does not take up more room here and then you will understand better. I kinda go into it a bit in my introduce yourself thread but not all of it.

My best friend has been through a lot with cancer, I wish I could afford to get him one of those huts, it is so hard for him to do stuff now.

What kind of hut you wish you could get? I'm pretty sure I have a rino xp-1 ground blind I could donate if that'd work? Pm me if interested

Sir-diealot

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 12, 2018, 06:39:02 PM

What kind of hut you wish you could get? I'm pretty sure I have a rino xp-1 ground blind I could donate if that'd work? Pm me if interested

Thank you very much for the offer. I was thinking I would like to get him one of those hard plastic deals, he has problems in the cold so that would allow him to run a small heater in it. I personally have 3 blinds and would have more but to be honest he has killed 2 blinds on me, both Ameristep Penthouse blinds. I currently have a Pentagon blind, a Ameristep 2 person chair blind that my GF bought me 2 years ago and an Ameristep Doghouse blind. The chair blind is my "Run and gun" blind if you will. Before you donate anything let me get with him, his depression is so bad it has been hard to get him to do anything, I was able to get him out doing things alot but after my last car accident I could not hunt for 17 years and he did not have anybody to really help him much. (His brothers should have but did not do much) so I want to see if he is even going to try to go this year. I do truly thank you for the offer.

John Koenig:

greencop01

I think that we are getting away from the essence of turkey hunting, Tom Kelly in "Tenth Legion" explains this much better than I. I'm 65 yrs old and turkey hunting to me is finding a bird, sitting against a tree and calling the bird in to me. Each time the bird comes in whether I bag him of not, I'm glad I lived to see it one more time. Killing is part of it but not the whole package. I can have a great time and if the bird out-foxes me I tip my hat to him and hope I learn something. This kill at any means must not be tolerated among our ranks. I for one refuse to hunt with these morons. This goes for all types of hunting. We must develop a sense of ethics among ourselves. I try to teach by example and sharing what I do. If we don't clean up our ranks, non-hunters will do it for us by their VOTE. We must boycott tv hunting shows and notify advertisers we will not buy their products. We should not tolerate this kill by all means possible. We must clean up our ranks. I am not saying that these methods like fanning should be against the law, you can't legislate stupidity, but by us speaking out when we see it to the participants. Another author who reads very well on turkey hunting and gives his techniques is a very good read. If you read him you know what I mean when I say we must clean our ranks of "mongrel dogs". His name is Ken Morgan. Sorry if I sound harsh but its how I feel like this train. :TrainWreck1:
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

sasquatch1

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 12, 2018, 06:48:02 PM
Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 12, 2018, 06:39:02 PM

Thank you very much for the offer. I was thinking I would like to get him one of those hard plastic deals, he has problems in the cold so that would allow him to run a small heater in it. I personally have 3 blinds and would have more but to be honest he has killed 2 blinds on me, both Ameristep Penthouse blinds. I currently have a Pentagon blind, a Ameristep 2 person chair blind that my GF bought me 2 years ago and an Ameristep Doghouse blind. The chair blind is my "Run and gun" blind if you will. Before you donate anything let me get with him, his depression is so bad it has been hard to get him to do anything, I was able to get him out doing things alot but after my last car accident I could not hunt for 17 years and he did not have anybody to really help him much. (His brothers should have but did not do much) so I want to see if he is even going to try to go this year. I do truly thank you for the offer.

Not a problem man!

silvestris

Greencop01, I was fortunate to have been tutored for many years by Kenny Morgan.  He was the real deal and he thought so much of me that he honored me to write the forward to "One Man Game".  I deeply miss him.  He tried to educate others on forums but quit trying because of the derogatory comments he received from the "if it is legal" crowd.  I paraphrase the words of our savior, "Father, forgive them, for they do not  know what they do."
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

lmbhngr

Flat out stupid! Good way to get hurt