OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

I Can't Believe What I Just Watched

Started by MK M GOBL, April 11, 2018, 11:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bowguy

Quote from: HookedonHooks on April 11, 2018, 11:18:21 AM
As long as he's hunting on private, I'm not gonna knock the guy for getting inventive. While I still don't practice this method of turkey hunting, I'm not gonna hold against someone for doing it, it's probably a huge rush. The only imminent danger would be someone shooting a rifle at you, but odds are if they're using a rifle, they're using a scope and should see the lump of person behind the decoy.

Interesting to see none the less, and definitely could be considered stupid given the circumstances.
Not bashing your post but a fellow I mentor with was on very private land. Kind of exclusive. He had a video crew, a disabled vet and a turkey decoy out a bit that opened and closed its fan. Didn't look perfect but on this private property some idiot heard his hen yelps, came sneaking in trespassing and shot the deke. He almost hit some people.
By the time everyone got up the shooter had vanished. 
Is private property ever really private??

Spitten and drummen

A face full of tss and he wont even flop. Some folks are just plain ignorant.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Caspar

thats gota be the craziest thing ive ever seen!! here in sw Pa those kind of shananigans will get your name and picture at the top of the list in the obituary column!

MK M GOBL

I'm all for someone being able hunt in any manner as long as it is legal, (I also look at the safety and my personal set of ethics)but with a Hunter Education background I would never teach this sort of hunting tactic (my choice) if this is for you and legal I guess you need to make that decision. Even on "private" ground people trespass... I have run it to it too many times already.

MK M GOBL

ccleroy

I think its worthless, that's what I think.

docost99

Those guys are pretty public with what they do. I'm sure you could contact them and express your concern personally. It might do more good than complaining about it here....
So what if they don't hunt the way you do.

sasquatch1

Quote from: davisd9 on April 11, 2018, 11:36:46 AM
I try to worry about how I hunt and really do not care about the next guy's methods as long as it is within the limits of the law.  It may not be how I want to hunt, but we all take certain risks and it is up for each individual hunter to decide for themselves.

This. Too many people freely willing to give up personal choice in the name of "safety"

This hunters odds of being shot are Very slim numbers wise. Much more likely to die driving there.

Kind of the same outlook I have on the snake boot issue. Nothing wrong with it at all and its your choice but think about the odds of being bit. Ive always wanted to ask, does anyone know someone who has had boots on that protected them against a bite?

Tail Feathers

Quote from: gergg on April 11, 2018, 12:49:05 PM
I had a guy last year "sneak up" on me with one of those reaping motion tail feather things, while gobbling to my calling....he popped over a little ridge at 40 yards and it looked like a turkey as he had a red/white/black Georgia bulldog emblem hat on peeking over/through the fan. This was on public land, and he had his nephew doing the same thing......geez....Oh yeah, they had their guns drawn in my direction which elicited a yell from me, I gave them an earful about how crazy dangerous that was.
Sheesh! :o
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

BB30

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 11, 2018, 04:14:01 PM
I try to worry about how I hunt and really do not care about the next guy's methods as long as it is within the limits of the law.  It may not be how I want to hunt, but we all take certain risks and it is up for each individual hunter to decide for themselves.

This. Too many people freely willing to give up personal choice in the name of "safety"

This hunters odds of being shot are Very slim numbers wise. Much more likely to die driving there.

Kind of the same outlook I have on the snake boot issue. Nothing wrong with it at all and its your choice but think about the odds of being bit. Ive always wanted to ask, does anyone know someone who has had boots on that protected them against a bite?

I was struck by a young water moccasin several years ago. Fortunately I had space in the back heel of my boot and he missed my leg. Since then I have decided snake boots are definitely a must for myself. It doesn't happen often but when there is something out there that can protect against it I will certainly use it. Haven't worn non snake boots in the woods during bow season or turkey season since.

davisd9

Quote from: sasquatch1 on April 11, 2018, 04:14:01 PM

Most people do not even understand the dangers of bites from different snakes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

dublelung

silvestris

How badly some want to kill a turkey with minimal intelligence.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

davisd9

Quote from: silvestris on April 11, 2018, 06:01:09 PM
How badly some want to kill a turkey with minimal intelligence.

It can be surprising.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Sir-diealot

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tail Feathers

Got bit on the toe cap of my snake boots several years ago.  Count one save, tho I believe most any decent boot would have stopped this bite. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!