turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What is your smallest Tom wieight wise

Started by turkeyfoot, February 20, 2016, 07:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

Eastern - 14.5lb with sharp 1 1 /8" spurs taken the last week of the season in MS. Bird also had two 10" beards.
Osceola - 14.5lb with 3/4" spurs taken opening week

ElkTurkMan

In 2012 I took a mature bird with Four beards but he only weighed 16# 4 oz. That was my best scoring bird but lightest mature tom that I have ever taken.

tree-rat sniper

19 lb tom (eastern) but he sported an 11.25" beard & 1-3/8" spurs.
NRA Life Member/Pistol Instructor, NWTF, SCI (former DU, VHA & HHI).  Non Gratum Anus Rodentum!

jtoliver43

I shot a tom one year that was around 15 lbs. He had a full fan and about a 10 inch beard. He came in hot and gobbling like a boss. The funny thing about this bird was that he had the tiniest feet like those of a hen and he had zero spurs.
Conserve. Hunt. Share.

tha bugman

11# Osceola...I am still not sure that those scales were correct!   ;D

wvboy

14.5 lbs eastern .. just last year.. he had some kinda Foot fungus which may have contributed to his light weight.

here is the Video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7vDYepMAb1Y

RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

slwayne

17 1/2 pound Eastern.  Lightest turkey I ever harvested but it had the longest beard (11 1/2 inches) and spurs (1 1/4 and 1 3/8) of any bird I have harvested.

Dr Juice

I shot a boss Tom that was just under 13-lbs with one inch spurs and 9.5" beard in the late portion of the NY season. There was nearly zero fat on him. Go figure ...  :turkey2:

g8rvet

I have never shot a small Tom either.  I have picked up a few that shrunk as I walked to them. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

augasman

I killed and eastern a few years ago that was 12 lbs. He had a 10 in beard 1 and 1/4 in spurs. I think he had some sort of disease. The scales on his legs and feet were peeling off. Anybody ever heard of this? I think I still have the feet somewhere.

Rio Fan

I shot an Eastern up towards Dworshak Reservoir in Idaho that weighed 15 lbs, but had 1 3/8 in spurs. Those are my best spurs so far and on the walk back to our truck, my dad found a 6 point elk shed.

jepcho

I shot a 10 lb bird in the fall a few years ago that was only a few months old.  Other than that, as far as spring birds, I shout a 17.5 lb Rio in Kansas last year.

timberghost35

Shot an eastern that had a massive 11in beard, 1in shurs that were like razor blades, but only weighed 12 lbs.. the bird itself was very very small....

BowBendr

I think my lightest eastern bird was about 14 lbs.

2015 Old Gobbler contest Champions

wvboy

Quote from: augasman on February 22, 2016, 04:43:09 PM
I killed and eastern a few years ago that was 12 lbs. He had a 10 in beard 1 and 1/4 in spurs. I think he had some sort of disease. The scales on his legs and feet were peeling off. Anybody ever heard of this? I think I still have the feet somewhere.

Check my post a few above yours.. 14.5 lbs and some sort of Foot Fungus.. pics are at the end of the Video .. but put them here as well.  I don't think the scales were peeling off the legs, but he had swollen grotesque feet that curved into weird directions and the bottoms were patchy white and black and the toenails were either extra long and curved or had been torn off.

RB .. Take me Home Country Roads