OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is your smallest Tom wieight wise

Started by turkeyfoot, February 20, 2016, 07:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turkeyfoot

seen the talk about the heavy birds was curious about the light weight Mature toms you have killed, My smallest was a 14  pound merriam barely 6 inch beard  and spurs little under 3/4 had full fan but as soon as I picked him up was no doubt he was light, Have killed few in Neb like that. Smallest eastern was  16 pounds

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Old Gobbler

12 pound Osceola , 11 inch beard , daggers for Spurs , wings blacker than coal
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

tomstopper

Clovis67

14 pound Eastern Gobbler...16 pound Eastern Jake.... :funnyturkey:

Happy

16lb as far as mature birds go. Jake was 14. There's been some I haven't weighed but pretty sure those were the lightest.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

HOOKS1

In 1982, last week of season in Louisiana. 15 1/4 pounds, 11 1/2" beard and 1 1/4" spurs.

turkeywhisperer935

14 lbs 9 in beard and 3/4 in spurs. Amazing how the little ones still look big strutting 20 yards in you're face.

bigbird

In 2014 I killed an 18 pounder it had 1" 3/8" spur 11" beard

wvmntnhick

I haven't weighed a lot of birds but I'm betting I've got a Tom or two in the 13-15 pound range. Did shoot a jake once that weighed just at 10 pounds. Had a pencil thin beard and was only about 3 inches long. He was shot in early fall.

MK M GOBL

17lb eastern I killed during last week of season in WI and on the flip side I killed a 22llb 3oz Jake, yup you read that right. Killed him in IA during 2nd Season and he gobbled his head "off" yes pun intended.

MK M GOBL

paboxcall

This one: 14.5 lbs.  Funny part was the year before, I called in another 3 year old like this one for the old timer in our camp, he shot his from almost the same tree.  That bird had identical spurs and beard, and also weighed 14.5 pounds.   :z-dizzy:

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

TrackeySauresRex

"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Yoder409

We shot several longbeards in the 13-15 lb. range one spring back in the early 90's in WV after a REALLY bad winter.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

born2hunt

Ive seen areas here in Florida produce a lot 14-16 lb toms but the lightest Osceola I can think of killing was 17 lbs.
Genesis 1:26
   Then God said, "Let us make mankind in our image, in our likeness, so that they may rule over the fish in the sea and the birds in the sky, over the livestock and all the wild animals,[a] and over all the creatures that move along the ground."