OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What is your smallest Tom wieight wise

Started by turkeyfoot, February 20, 2016, 07:19:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MK M GOBL

Quote from: wvboy on February 23, 2016, 10:54:08 AM
Quote from: augasman on February 22, 2016, 04:43:09 PM
I killed and eastern a few years ago that was 12 lbs. He had a 10 in beard 1 and 1/4 in spurs. I think he had some sort of disease. The scales on his legs and feet were peeling off. Anybody ever heard of this? I think I still have the feet somewhere.

Check my post a few above yours.. 14.5 lbs and some sort of Foot Fungus.. pics are at the end of the Video .. but put them here as well.  I don't think the scales were peeling off the legs, but he had swollen grotesque feet that curved into weird directions and the bottoms were patchy white and black and the toenails were either extra long and curved or had been torn off.

A buddy of mine had killed a bird in the U.P. of Michigan like that, we figured must have been some sort of "disease". My buddy contacted the state agency on it and was told it was from frost bite??? sounded a bit odd to me. All I though was too bad it didn't affect his spurs :)

MK M GOBL

wvboy

Hmmm.. I never contacted a biologist .. I assumed fungus or foot disease.. never thought about frostbite .. 
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

derek

Smallest longbeard has been 13lbs 9oz - that one was only a 2 year old.  Killed a real old bird that only weighed 14lbs. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

hunter22

I killed a mature gobbler in Missouri a few years ago that weighed 14 lbs.  When I started to clean him he had black places on his breast like he had been shot before. Cut his beard, spurs, and fan off and threw the rest away.

catman529

I think it was between 16 and 17 pounds. Him and his buddy had high pitched gobbles, thought they were jakes till they crested the ridge. He had a real fat paintbrush though.

Cut N Run

Killed a 17 pound gobbler in 2008 that had 7/8th inch blunted spurs and a 10 inch beard.  He also had several puncture wounds in his breast from getting his @ss kicked by badder birds.  He must have gobbled 150 times before he got to me. He met his maker at 16 yards after hopping down from struttting on a downed log.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

timberjack86

WisTurk

19 lbs for the smallest tom for me.  Not sure about jakes...maybe 13 lbs?

Neill_Prater

I killed two easterns that weighed around 12 1/2 pounds each several years ago. Both were mature birds with close to 12 inch beards and spurs of at least 1 1/4 inch, if memory serves me correctly. Interestingly enough, the birds were harvested perhaps 3 miles from one another.

The first was one of my most memorable hunts, lasting almost 3 hours and running very close to our quitting time of 1:00 before I was able to seal the deal. I just knew the bird was a monster, and when I ran up and grabbed him, I almost through him over my shoulder.  ;D

Hooksfan

I killed what I referred to as a pygmy turkey several years ago in Crawford County, Kansas. I didn't weigh it, but no way it could have been more than 12 pounds.  It had 1" spurs, 9" beard and it's fan was about half the size of other birds I had killed in the area. Killed him on one of those mid morning flash hunts. He gobbled like he was the king and came in on a string.

troutfisher13111

16 pound eastern

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

grayfox

Best I remember it was around 13 lbs. It was my first bird & had a 3-4 inch beard. I was as happy as could be. It was also on the last day of season.

Mossyguy

Kentucky bird...had a 10" beard, 1" spurs and weighed 14 lbs

PineyRooster

south Mississippi gobbler I killed 3 years ago that was 12lbs 8''bird and 3/4" spurs