Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Do you prefer to hunt turkeys with a partner or by yourself?

Started by Marc, March 06, 2015, 03:33:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you prefer to turkey hunt by yourself or with a partner?

I enjoy hunting with a partner more than by myself.
I prefer to hunt by myself.
I like to mix it up (sometimes alone, sometimes with a partner).

zelmo1

smalls

Quote from: silvestris on March 06, 2015, 05:04:48 PM
Turkey hunting is a one man game, not a social event.  It is nice to have someone to share lies with after the hunt.
^This.  I have some friends that I like to camp with, but we always go our own way.  Sometimes we will team up on a bird, but its normally a "you go this way, I go that way" kind of deal.

I prefer it to just be me and the birds.  I get my fill of "buddy hunts" with duck hunting.

Shotgun

:angel9:

I like to hunt with others, but when I get in killing mode I hunt alone.

USMC0331

TauntoHawk

Almost always with someone, usually my good buddy that taught me turkey hunting. I take my wife out every year and always hunt with and call for my dad. After that I try and take new hunter, youth hunters, vets anyone really willing to go. If I'm by myself then no one else could go that morning.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ericjames

I hunt alone all except 1 or 2 times a year. That's just my preference, this year I will be mixing it up a little more. I have two friends that I'm going to try to take to get there first bird.

beagler

Never Misses

LARRYHAYNES

Quote from: ridgerunner on March 06, 2015, 03:44:03 PM
It's more fun to hunt with someone, but more productive by myself..I prefer hunting with someone...but if the going get's tough...I'm flying solo.

Yes sir
LARRY

El Pavo Grande

:z-twocents:h
Quote from: Shotgun on March 06, 2015, 09:39:54 PM
:angel9:

I like to hunt with others, but when I get in killing mode I hunt alone.

This ^^^^

I enjoy hunting with a select few that hunt the way I do, but it is easy to be hesitant with decisions when others are involved.  It's hard to explain, but when solo the decisions made are instinctive and quick with no second guessing.  I am typically more successful that way.  My brother and a couple close friends hunt well together.  My oldest son (10) is my new hunting partner so a lot of my time is spent hunting with him these days.  I also have a few inexperienced guys I take each year.  I already have a couple inquirying about going this spring. 

mudhen

It just depends...

Turkey hunting is not a team sport to me, but there are some guys I really enjoy hunting with...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

Cut N Run

My best friend of 42 years and I make time to hunt together every year.  Sometimes we'll hunt the same property and set up a long ways apart and other times we'll set up together.

Most other folks I know aren't as serious about turkey hunting as I am and I'm not about to have them screw up one of my hunts because they don't care enough about it to have their stuff together.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

mgm1955

I enjoy both. Most important thing for me is being out there with the birds and the rest of nature.

derek

Solo.  Once I got to where I could call birds in on my own, I really have no desire for someone else to call a bird in for me.  I would like to make a point to double up with my father one day, but usually it's, you go that way I go this way.  Seems more productive usually. 
www.youtube.com/thebaysidelegion

www.thebaysidelegion.com

wvmntnhick

I've got 2 really good friends I like to turkey hunt with. One is an avid rifleman. The other won't carry anything other than a shotgun. I personally have no preference but find I change my habits depending on who I'm with. Both are accomplished turkey hunters and even with rifles in hand, we rarely shoot farther than 45 yards and most are within 30. Not real sure why I'm bringing all this up but...

The fella that carries the shotgun is pretty good when it comes to calling. Much better than I ever considered myself, until last year. I've called in birds but hunting with him always seemed like it upped the odds. Looking back, I believe he was just a better bird hunter and he always pushed me to be better at it as well. After several years of hunting with him, it made me want to become more proficient at calling. I worked at it pretty hard and last year I called in 13 birds and worked about 20 others. Some were prior to season on a piece of ground that I don't get to hunt during the actual season so it was just simply calling birds in for fun (no gun involved). That really boosted my confidence and gave me the confidence to go it alone last spring. Even when my shotgun buddy and I hunted "together" last year, we split up to cover more ground. I called in 6 jakes and a long beard but didn't get a shot at the elder so let the jakes walk as well. Came back home and managed to shoot 2 beautiful birds (12" beard 1.5" Spurs, 10.5" beard 1-1/8" spurs) by myself last year. I've managed to get a couple pieces of private ground secured where I live now which makes things much easier so I figure we'll spend more time apart this year as he'll hunt one piece while I hunt the other on Sunday's (legal here) but we'll probably hunt the public land/hunting club together on Saturdays. It's always nice to have someone there when it all comes together but not a necessity. Apologies for getting long winded on this one.

The Cohutta Strutter

I prefer to go it alone but have no problem sharing a hunt with a dedicated turkey hunter, someone that has a true interest and passion for the sport. This type hunter seems to be getting few and far between here lately or at least in the circles I'm currently running in. Strutter
Anybody seen America lately?