OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Weekly check in thread.

Started by JVA54, March 18, 2011, 12:12:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blackmagic

85 and sunny here.  Of course, this is Florida.  We're just happy it's not high 90's and 90+% humidity.  As for my hunt to day, had to do a quicky and had fun getting into hen fighting matches.  Had one try to charge me and came within a foot or two of being in my lap.

kdavis31

Slow weekend in the woods for birds gobbling.  Yesterday morning saw a hen.  I walked up on a gobbler that had died of unknown causes.  No apparent gunshot wounds, had a broken wing though.  He was sporting about a 10" beard and approx. 1" spurs.  This morning I had 4 party crashers of the bovine kind decide to join me.  The gobblers seem to be in a quiet cycle.  Hopefully it will turn around for next weekend.

blackmagic

More hens today.  Birds are still quiet where I'm at Keith.  They were on fire the week before season.  They can't stay in this funky quiet mode forever...or can they  :gobble:

kdavis31

The weather this week ought to change things.

davisd9

Well fellows this weekend is the start of the season for me here in SC.  I will be leaving after work to go to where I hunt on Thursday to hopefully find me a bird for Friday morning.  Do not know how much I will be able to get on here until Sunday evening but I will try to keep you updated and if I get a bird post it as quickly as I can.  Those of you already hunting good luck and those of you still waiting I know the feeling and it will not be long.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

somedude

We got on a loud mouth early Saturday morning.  He would gobble at anything and everything.  From before daylight to about 7:30  Strutting on the limb and gobbling.  He flew out to my left and I aint seen him since. :TrainWreck1:   Oh well, it was good to be there and hear and see him.  God is good!   <>< del
A generous man will prosper; He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.  Prov  11:25
DALES TURKEY CALLS
Stevens 20 gauge
Remington 870  12 gauge
https://i.imgur.com/howRdMo.jpg

davisd9

Just spoke with my father-in-law and he gave me some good recon on what he says is a good bird.  He said he thinks it is bigger than the one I killed last year in the exact same area, that bird was 20 pounds with an 11" beard and 1"spurs.  Hopefully he is right. He thinks he is roosting in an area where my last year bird roosted.  Was happy to get this information.  Still plan on getting out to the fields on Thursday to find what tree he might be in!  :z-guntootsmiley:
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

JVA54

davisd9
   Shoot him and take his picture!  ;D

7  more days......................... :toothy12: :toothy12:

LilFridWV

West Virginia still has 28 days until the start of the season. My brother and I are thinkin about drivin to Kentucky to daniel boone national forest. Its across the river from huntington so its close. Good luck everyone! :z-guntootsmiley:

somedude

All you fellers that got to wait this long for it to start, I hate it for ya.  I would go INSANE having to wait that long.  Birds are hollerin down here! :turkey2: :turkey2:
A generous man will prosper; He who refreshes others will himself be refreshed.  Prov  11:25
DALES TURKEY CALLS
Stevens 20 gauge
Remington 870  12 gauge
https://i.imgur.com/howRdMo.jpg

davisd9

2 more days for me.  I will not get a wink of sleep tomorrow night.  There is a chance of rain on Friday but I will still be out there chasing.  Will try to keep you fellows up to date.   :z-guntootsmiley:

JVA54

davisd9      Good luck!  Kill a big old tom and be safe.
                    Will be looking for some pics.  ;D        :z-guntootsmiley:

FireDoc

Still waiting on April 16th for the Kentucky opener.  :begging:

Then the Michigan opener.  :icon_thumright:

But I did wrap up a spot for Ohio in May.  :z-winnersmiley:

Come on Spring!  :z-guntootsmiley:
Go Dawgs!
Beware the Yelp Marks.
Proud Member of the IAFF

davisd9

Leaving in about 20 minutes to start heading on the 2 hr drive home.  When I get there I am going to look for a bird for in the morning.  The weather is supposed to be kind of nasty this evening so I do not know if I will have any luck getting one on the limb but tomorrow is going to be nice and I have all weekend.  Good luck to whoever else is going.  Will keep ya'll up to date when I can.

JVA54

FireDoc      love the pics you been posting.

Good luck this year!!