OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kill with follow-up shot?

Started by GomerPyle, March 10, 2014, 05:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GomerPyle

How many folks have actually killed a turkey(s) with the follow-up shot after missing on the first? (not a wounding first shot, but a clean miss)

was discussing with a buddy about shells......I'm shooting 3" HS Mag Blend and mentioned loading a couple of Winchester Supreme no.4's behind it for follow ups if needed.  he made the point that it probably doesn't matter since you'd have to be a heck of a good shot (or lucky) to connect on a second shot if the first missed.

so, show of hands...
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

jakesdad

If I was worried about a miss and a follow up shot I think I would rather use the MagBlends than the 4's.Pattern density is probably going to be a lot tighter and you will have just as much if not more knockdown power.

"There are turkey hunters and people who hunt turkeys.I hope I am remembered as a turkey hunter"

Old Gobbler

If you miss with the first one.... There is a good chance the second is going to be equally disappointing
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

jblackburn

It's hard to say if they were clean misses, but twice I have put down a bird with a follow up shot.  Both were years ago when I was first starting and was still in high school.

The first was my second turkey, a jake that was at 15 yards.  Pretty sure I cleanly missed him, but knocked him out of the air stone dead with shot 2.

The next year (turkey #3) my buddy and I attempted to double on some jakes, we had a miscommunication on shot timing, he smoked his and I'm pretty sure I clean missed.  I rolled him with the second shot and sent a 3rd after him as he took off flying.  I watched him crash about 400 yards away and was stone dead when I got there.

Since then, I can't remember taking any follow up shots.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

GomerPyle

Quote from: jakesdad on March 10, 2014, 05:29:09 PM
If I was worried about a miss and a follow up shot I think I would rather use the MagBlends than the 4's.Pattern density is probably going to be a lot tighter and you will have just as much if not more knockdown power.

my thinking was that if a second shot presented itself, he's probably going to be running and further away so it's already a Hail Mary as it is....I'd rather have a little more range.  but yeah, you make a good point.
[From a buddy re: turkey hunting]
"the best advice I can give you is to run from it like it's crystal meth"

HunterMan

I missed the very first gobbler I called in....I hit my mouth call, he stopped and I killed him with second shot.

RutnNStrutn

I haven't ever taken a second shot. I've killed every bird I shot at, except for two that I cleaned missed. Not sure how I missed, considering I shoot a scoped barrel, but that is also why I don't go for follow up shots. The odds of finding a flying or running bird in your scope is small, so I don't even try it. I either hit, or miss. Thankfully, the vast majority have been hits. :lol:

COssman14

By the time I pump another shell the bird is well out of range if I missed. Only happened once and that second shot didn't do much but make him run even faster.
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".

IowaGobblers

I had it happen on one of my very first birds. Not sure whether I clean missed him first but stone him with the second while he was on a dead run.

snoodlum

many times thru the years . But not since 4-29-2013 !!

longspur

Did it twice in my second year. Both were really close so I'm pretty sure it was a clean miss. Dusted both of there heads when they took off running.

Vabirddog

Yep. Missed one years ago at about 15 feet but he took off trotting around a deer path and dropped him with the second. I load 4s as a back up shell, thinking being If I get a bad hit (knocked down etc) with the first I want something that will break wings and legs as well as penetrate the body to imobilize the turkey. I agree with a clean miss second chances are rare and I will not shoot at a departing bird that I dont think i hit. I haven't shot a backup in years and have actually thrown out a few shells that the brass got so chewed up on going in and out.

highwaygun

I shot a 10 gauge single shot a follow up shot is not need or an option.

Skeeterbait

Haven't ever needed a followup shot.  I realize It's not the same thing since not recovering from first shot but couple of years ago I was sitting 20 yards off a road with a bird gobbling on the otherside.  I dont know what he spotted but no sooner than he stepped into the road he spooked and took off running up the road to my left.  I followed his head with the red dot and pulled a bit ahead of him when he hit 40 yards.  He rolled and came to a stop and never flopped.  More important than what shell your using I feel is the type of sight used.  Open lens reflex sight with both eyes open makes it real easy to track a moving target and know for a fact your on him.  Scope, tube, barrel sights just cannot do this as well.