turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Kill with follow-up shot?

Started by GomerPyle, March 10, 2014, 05:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dtrkyman

I have three times but twice were with an arrow and the other a buddy missed and I smashed him on his way out of town!!!

Should be no issue if you are a wing shooter, if not I would get to the clay range and practice!!!

WildTigerTrout

Have not needed a second shot yet but it may happen at some point in the future. That's why I carry a pump or semi-auto.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Frank G

Well I hope I don't miss with my "1st time out" TK 2000 ML, some how I don't think I'll get a second shot.  :TooFunny:  :mask: Oh well same issue with a bow

Frank G  In Tennessee

ALfwlmth

Hate to say it, but I've done it several times.  Lots of duck hunts probably helped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tail Feathers

Ya'll would come up with this topic after I buy a single shot 20 ga. :goofball:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

silvestris

Quote from: Tail Feathers on March 27, 2014, 08:36:34 PM
Ya'll would come up with this topic after I buy a single shot 20 ga. :goofball:

All is not lost.  Missed one with my Encore and instinctively opened the action as I was getting up and retrieving another shell from my pants pocket.  Re-chambered on the run and hit him with the second shot.  I was shedding gear, including gun, to move faster and had to jump into a treetop where I was lucky to get a hand on his leg.  After choking him to death, he was mine.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Bigspurs68

I heard a great turkey hunter once say "if you can't hit a 20 pound grouse, you have troubles". He was correct.
Momma said "Kill that turkey"

learn2hide

It can be done....I have done it twice...first time was cause I took a shot that was too long...my bad, but at the miss the bird didn't roll or go down obviously got peppered but not hurt much...he got confused and my initial instinct after shooting was to jump up and run, well I gained about 10-15 yards and when he finally got his act together and jumped to fly I smoked him like a flushing duck. That was in 2002 or 2003. Also did it last year, I was fighting my pre-installed factory sights always shooting high on my new gun.  Had killed several birds but never felt like i was hitting them really hard, thought I could overcome it with aiming at waddles all the time, but on a bird at 15 yards that had just beat my decoy to hell, I whiffed, heat of the moment forgot to hold on waddles...he was unscathed and ran across the plot and hesitated just for a second and I killed him with shot #2 barely, still shot high but got a few pellets low enough.  Well that night I ended up taking the factory sights off my gun and installed a lower rear sight system.  The next day when a bird popped his head up at the 40 mark I flattened him with the center of the pattern. 
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Pressured Gobbler

Had my 11-87SP back in 2002 anda bird was comin in and I got all worked up and shot and missed at 30 yards... Bird took to the air... Shot a second time and missed again... Third shot I bared down and lead him about 3-4ft and let it go and rolled him at about 35-40 yards... Prob my most memorable hunt!!!