OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Kill with follow-up shot?

Started by GomerPyle, March 10, 2014, 05:17:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surehuntsalot

I have killed 4 with a second shot over the years
If you don't need a follow up shot,then you don't need a pump or automatic shotgun
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

appalachianstruttstopper

I have killed several on a follow up shot after clean miss. All have been from misses aroun 8 - 15 yds and the follow up shot taken at 30 to 40yds.

I grew up in the blue ridge mountains Grouse and Quail hunting. Never took any standing still shots until I started turkey hunting. I have been struggling with this issue for a long time. I have a problem squeezing the trigger in the height of the moment and jerk it alot of the times. Countless hours shooting from the sitting position has helped over the years, just as countless hours shooting clays has helped on moving targets.

I have only missed 1 over the years with a follow up shot, maybe one day I will be able to say I used to have a problem with standing still shots. lol

captin_hook

I missed one at about 10 yards, clean miss, got him on the second shot when he was running away to my left.

DirtNap647

CT Spur Collector

I've never killed one with a follow up shot. I've missed em clean and never got another shot. I've shot all my birds with a good clean solid first shot, not bragging, just very patient. I've let them walk also if the shot wasn't there.  Again, not bragging, just not that important to me. I like to get them, don't get me wrong, just not into the unethical shot.

zeke632

I have.
I've missed with the 2nd & 3rd too.

stinkpickle

chcltlabz

Yes, I've killed multiple birds with a follow up shot that I did not hit with the first shot.

2 of those have been as part of doubles.  Bird was already running in my first shot.  Another one should have been a double, but the first shot was a wiff.

1 was a bird that got too close and I missed on the first.

1 I had a big gobbler fight break out just over the hill from me.  I was able to sneak within about 75 yards of them and when I started to call, one came at a full run in to me.  I missed him with the first shot but killed him with the second.

Just flat missed on 2 others that I can remember.  Killed one when he stopped, killed the other when he was flying.

A veteran is someone who, at one point, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including their life.'

That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.

ILIKEHEVI-13

I'll say this about shooting a standing still turkey at 40yds or under for the ones that got away.  Anyone that says they cleanly missed is probably cleanly not telling the truth.  And that's playing the odds of the pattern for those that can in fact shoot a shotgun at least fairly accurately.  There is a big difference between hitting a turkey and not killing it than cleanly missing one altogether with not one single pellet. 

highwaygun

Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 11, 2014, 04:44:46 PM
I'll say this about shooting a standing still turkey at 40yds or under for the ones that got away.  Anyone that says they cleanly missed is probably cleanly not telling the truth.  And that's playing the odds of the pattern for those that can in fact shoot a shotgun at least fairly accurately.  There is a big difference between hitting a turkey and not killing it than cleanly missing one altogether with not one single pellet.
I agree 100% I can see it at maybe 10yds and in but from 10 to 40 if you completely miss one you have serious issues you need to work on. Most who say they committed a clean miss put pellets in the turkey whether they want to admit it or not.

ILIKEHEVI-13

Quote from: highwaygun on March 11, 2014, 09:23:45 PM
Quote from: ILIKEHEVI-13 on March 11, 2014, 04:44:46 PM
I agree 100% I can see it at maybe 10yds and in but from 10 to 40 if you completely miss one you have serious issues you need to work on. Most who say they committed a clean miss put pellets in the turkey whether they want to admit it or not.

Now the truth has been spoken.  If only we could get them to admit it, the truth will set them free. 

I'll add if you shoot a standing turkey at 15yds to 40yds and if you in fact don't put a shot in the bird, you may want to find another sport. 

mozart_hunter

Killed at least 3 after missing the first shot also killed one and shot the other one on the second shot.

njdevilsb

My 2nd bird last year took 2 shots from my 20 gauge.  He was coming in perfect and about 15 yards away, right when I was about to shoot, he saw something and turned and started running.  I shot right as he took off but I wasn't on him good apparently.  After the first shot, he took flight and I racked another shell in and dropped him out of the air.  It was more of a reaction type thing and I couldn't believe it when he hit the ground.

tnturkey

I have before. But I never have nor will I load up a shell I'm not originally shooting
While you're more then likely to miss IMO you need to give yourself the best chance you got.

Vabirddog

Quote from: tnturkey on March 12, 2014, 06:25:00 AM
I have before. But I never have nor will I load up a shell I'm not originally shooting
While you're more then likely to miss IMO you need to give yourself the best chance you got.

I think that depends on what you're shooting, I shoot 6s first shot. I back those up with 4s. If for some reason my first shot was not immediatly lethal and i have a departing wounded turkey I want something that can break wings and legs as well as possibly penetrate the body. I will most likely be shooting for turkey and likely in brush so my goal is to immobilize.