turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

best mounting option for a fastfire III on a Benelli SBE II

Started by valimbhanger, June 08, 2013, 07:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valimbhanger

Hello everyone :wave:. New guy alert here!!!!!
I'm looking to put a fastfire III on my SBE II.
I started off getting a fastfire III (8moa) with the picatinny mount and put a weaver 93a mounting rail on the receiver. I had to send back the sight to optics planet a few days ago because the mounting thread holes that hold the sight to the mount weren't threaded (one was/one wasn't).
While I am waiting to get a new sight I feel that there are better mounting options according to some here. After reading as many threads as I can on the subject here it seems the best and more permanent way to mount the fastfire III is with no rail, but rather just the fastfire III 336 marlin mount right to the receiver?
I've always been the impatient type, so I've already ordered the Burris 336 mount.
Just for backup I've also ordered a weaver multi slot top rail to replace the weaver 93a if I use a rail at all. I just didn't really like how the only options using the 93a was to have the sight all the way to the rear or all the way to the front.
So now that I have really 3 mounting options available when the sight gets here I would love to here some opinions on the best mounting option. :help:   

gobblergls

The Burris 336 mount for the FF series is the cleanest, simplest, lowest mount available. 

IowaGobblers

:welcomeOG: while I myself do not have a ff3 most of the threads I have read,  many guys love their 336 mounts. With your 3 options you should find one that works. Good luck!

valimbhanger

Quote from: gobblergls on June 08, 2013, 07:40:30 PM
The Burris 336 mount for the FF series is the cleanest, simplest, lowest mount available.

That's what I've been reading! I even like the fact that it will sit lower on the weapon. I might not need to update my cheek pad if it sits low enough, but will have to wait and see.
I know that those 3.5 heavy shot loads can pack a punch and hope this sight/mount combo can handle the recoil? Thanks for the info. :turkey:

valimbhanger

Quote from: IowaGobblers on June 08, 2013, 07:44:16 PM
:welcomeOG: while I myself do not have a ff3 most of the threads I have read,  many guys love their 336 mounts. With your 3 options you should find one that works. Good luck!

Thanks, this will be my first turkey gun with something other than the 2 beads on the barrel. At age 50 I think a red dot will be just the ticket. I just want to do my best to make sure the Fastfire gets mounted in the best way. I'm sure even a little thread locker on the mounting screws won't hurt either.

Uvagobbler

I would try Rob Roberts or Mann and Sons. Give them a call. Both are nice to deal with and can help you if you. Good luck.    Mike

valimbhanger

Quote from: Uvagobbler on June 09, 2013, 02:18:21 PM
I would try Rob Roberts or Mann and Sons. Give them a call. Both are nice to deal with and can help you if you. Good luck.    Mike

Thanks, I don't have their #'s. Are they members here? I'm new to the forum here and I will see what I can find with the search filter. Thanks

Onpoint

I have a 336 mount. For strictly a "turkey gun" the 336 is the best option. If you plan on shooting more than turkeys take a look at the speed bead.

valimbhanger

Thanks Onpoint. I looked into the speed bead option, but decided I would rather mount to the barrel/receiver instead. Even though I'm planning to use it strictly for turkeys who knows, maybe I'll want to run some smooth bore slugs down the barrel just to see what it does.

Uvagobbler

Rob Roberts custom guns- 870-251-9955
Mann and Son sporting goods- 618-357-2911
They should be able to help you. I am not sure if they are members of old gobbler but they should be able to help you with your questions.  Mike

valimbhanger

Mike, Thanks for the help. I've sent an email to Rob Roberts at Gobbler Guns about the 336 mounting option and just by looking at his website it looks like I will be sending him my barrel for a few things! Ron

Ridge Rooster

I contacted Rob Roberts about drilling/tapping my SBE and the mounting options he uses. He recommends the Warner steel base option. I sent him another email asking if it was as clean and low as the Burris 336 mount and he never actually said if it was. Asked the question, on here, in a couple different threads and never got a response about the Warner option. If anyone has a picture or knows about this mounting system I would love to see it. I have been told that the 336 mount is hard to come by right now. Sumtoy said that they were having such a hard time finding the 336, that they were in the process of making there own.

Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

BurrisOptics

The Warne base will not be as low as the Marlin 336 mount.  With the Warne you will still need to use the picatinny mount on the bottom of the sight which will raise it up. 

BurrisOptics

There's no shortage on the Marlin 336 base btw.  I have plenty of them in stock and ready to ship. 

Ridge Rooster

Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters