Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

best mounting option for a fastfire III on a Benelli SBE II

Started by valimbhanger, June 08, 2013, 07:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sixbird

Thanks Limbhanger...I looked at that after trying to understand how the FF III and the Warne base interface with each other. It looks to me like there's another piece needed between the two.
I even emailed a pic of what I thought that interface piece would look like but didn't get any real explanation...I'm sure they know what they're doing...They seemed very confident and they have a great reputation....I'll do my best to get a pic. when it comes back and post it...

mudhen

The Weaver multi-slot + FF3 has worked well for me so far.  The base is pretty flat, and allows the sight to be installed at many different distances...

mudhen
"Lighten' up Francis"  Sgt Hulka

BurrisOptics

Quote from: Hayman on June 13, 2013, 06:05:37 PM
You will need some longer 8-40 screws to fasten it all together which i am having a hard time finding for mine

Call our customer service 888-228-7747 and they will send you the screws you need for this.

sixbird

Well, turns out, according to Roberts, that my particular barrel/receiver was hardened to the extent that it can't be tapped (just what happened with the previous gunsmith). They've contacted Benelli and, of course, haven't heard back from them (been about a week). This process has been too long already. Apparently they were waiting for some piece of equipment for drilling and tapping and, unfortunately, Robs' Mom passed, so things have been kind of backed up there...I'm hoping to get it back by mid Aug, but I don't know...From what I hear, Benelli isn't known for their timeliness...Had I known all of this, I think I would have just left well enough alone...

valimbhanger

WOW sixbird? I would have never guessed that would be the case about not being able to drill into the barrel with regular tools. Not that I will be attempting to have that done it's good to know! I know the "CRIO" process has something to do with super cold temperature, but sounds to me like what happens when you temper metals too. The metal ends up stronger, but it's almost impossible to alter it like drilling and tapping. Glass does the same thing when it's tempered.
I finally went to the range at my hunt club today and sent some lead down range! It turns out the Warne 2pc. base (rear/steel) is just the ticket IMO on the Benelli SBE II and the FF III. I don't know if my sight is representative of most out there, but after I adjusted the elevation (dot) "all the way" up I seemed to gain more adjustment to move the dot lower and even though it's not at the midrange of the elevation there's room to move the dot lower if I wanted. While I'm far from patterning the gun yet it felt good to cycle some rounds through it and see that the FF III is going to be a great addition to my dedicated turkey gun!
Good luck with your setup and I hope everything turns out well for you!

p.s. prayers out to Mr. Roberts on his mother's passing.

sixbird

Thanks Limbhanger...Gun is still at Roberts. Rob assures me that they'll be able to do something with it. He doesn't know what yet but seems determined that he'll be able to something...Frustrating part is, when I first got the gun, I sent it to a local gunsmith and, in anticipation of the drilling and tapping going as promised, I bought a leupold scope to mount on it. Was never able to mount it...Now, in anticipation of the drilling and tapping being successful, I bought a Fastfire III. Just hoping that Roberts will come through but, to be honest, I'm kind of leaning toward it being unfeasible...That'll be $400+ in optical equipment that is useless on this gun if it goes that way...My own fault I guess but I saw a deal on FF and thought I should get it while it was available...
Hopefully everything will resolve...I have to say, it is frustrating...
Glad yours turned out well...That is some encouragement in the event that mine is able to be worked...

sixbird

Rob says he's never had this happen with a Benelli before so it's apparently not typical...Guess I'm just "lucky..."
He did explain the process. He says they take the barrel up in one degree increments to 200 and some degrees, then take it down one degree at a time to -300 degrees. It makes the barrels shoot to the same point of impact even when they're red hot...I don't know that that's a major advantage in a turkey gun...I know it's been a pain in my a _ _!

sixbird

Talked to Rob today. He contacted Benelli and they say their early SBE II's were crio'ed really hard and can't be tapped so he's working on a plan "B"...Although this has been a somewhat frustrating process, Rob has been going out of his way to resolve a problem that's not of his making...I like the guy!!!

valimbhanger

Dang!! That's amazing!
It sounds Like Rob has found himself a challenge and is going to get the job done right no matter what. I've already got one of his final strut chokes and I wouldn't be surprised if my barrel makes it there for some work before the start of next Spring Gobbler.
I hope you will keep us posted and good luck with it :icon_thumright:

reynolds243

wow thats crazy. Rob has my SBE2 currently to port, lengthen the forcing cone and dip it. Great guy and i will prob end up with a choke of theirs as well come spring if i can afford it :)

sixbird

Don't worry about the forcing cone even if it's one of the original SBE II's...The forcing cones don't seem to be a problem. Same with porting cause that's done by electroporting machine. It's just the tapping that seems to be problematic. You should be fine with that stuff...

sixbird

So...wondering if I could ask a favor of those guys who have the Burris 336 mount and those who have the Warne mount?
Wondering if you could measure from the top of your receiver to the bottom of your FF III (that is the bottom of the actual body of the sight, not the bottom of the picatinny attachment)?
What I'm trying to determine is which mounting system puts the FastFire closer to the receiver...
If you guys could do that, I think it would clear up that question for a lot of us.
I've asked quite a few people and, although I think they're trying their best to give me an accurate answer, nobody seems to be able to say definitively "this mounting system is "X" above the receiver and that system is "X" above the receiver.
Can you guys help a brother out?

valimbhanger

sixbird, I have decided on the Warne (rear) base of the 2pc. steel base set. I have my FF III sitting in a picatinny protector mount and I measure 7/16" from the top of the barrel to the bottom of the FF III sight body. I had to order and install the "raised" cheek pad to feel comfortable with the setup. I just couldn't believe that cheeck pad piece was $84, but I should have expected it since there barrels are out of sight also!!

sixbird

Thanks Limbhanger...That's great info.! How does the raised cheek piece install? Does it clip on or do you have to remove what's already there?

sixbird

O.k., that piece of the puzzle is solved...Now, does anybody have a burris 336 base and could you give measurement from top of receiver to bottom of FF body?