turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

best mounting option for a fastfire III on a Benelli SBE II

Started by valimbhanger, June 08, 2013, 07:14:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valimbhanger

I think I will be sticking with the 336 mounting option. I received an email today that my 336 mount has shipped, so maybe they are back in stock. I know it's not 100% until it's at the door, but I think I'll see the mount in a couple days.

Ridge Rooster

valimbhanger,

Where did you order your mount??

Thanks
Ridge Rooster
Old School 11-87 + Nitros = Dead Ridge Roosters

valimbhanger

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on June 12, 2013, 10:34:42 AM
valimbhanger,

Where did you order your mount??

Thanks
Ridge Rooster

Optics Planet. I just checked tracking and it should be here Monday. That's good because they also shipped out today the replacement Fastfire III I had to return last week from mounting hole threads left out. I can't wait to dial it in!!

Ridge Rooster

I am a little confused on what exactly I need to get a FF3 mounted to my SBE1. I am going to send it off to Rob Robertson for a Drill/Tap job, along with a trigger job while he has it, but I would like to use the Burris 336 mount instead of the Warne that he likes to use, because I was told the 336 mount is lower to the receiver. I would also like to use a Protector. Does the Protector actually mount to the 336 base, and the FF mount to the protector??

Would some one please clarify this for me so that I order the right thing. I looked on Optics Planet last night and noticed that there were several different options on the mounting plate, all kind of gun specific, but the one that was not stated that it is to be used with the picatinny mount?? I am confused and need some help!

Thanks

Ridge Rooster

valimbhanger

I hope I'm setting my fast fire III up right? I've got the protector mount. It has the picatinny mount on it. I'm going to remove the picatinny mount and mount the protector mount right to the 336 marlin mount. I won't have the 336 mount until Monday so I don't know if this is the correct way yet.

Ridge Rooster

Let us know valimbhanger! I am fixin to put one one my gun and would like to use the same things you are.

Thanks

Ridge Rooster

valimbhanger

Will do! The 336 is due in this Monday and I'm sure I won't waste any time putting it on when I get home.

Hayman

You will need some longer 8-40 screws to fasten it all together which i am having a hard time finding for mine

2much2loud

Do you have to drill more holes for the buriss 336 or will the factory holes work?

valimbhanger

Quote from: Hayman on June 13, 2013, 06:05:37 PM
You will need some longer 8-40 screws to fasten it all together which i am having a hard time finding for mine

Gotcha. I'm heavy into archery, so I would bet I have what I need, but if I don't then it's off to Home Depot to have a look in the custom screw trays!!

valimbhanger

Well, the 336 marlin mount showed up today. It isn't going to work on a benelli SBE II. The two mounting holes in the 336 do not line up with either set of mounting holes in the receiver. Talk about flushing $ down the toilet! Anyway, no biggy, I just went with option two. I installed the Weaver multi slot mount ( part # 48339) receiver mount and put the Burris Protector with the picatinny mount on it. My sight should be here first part of next week.
I don't mind using the multi slot rail for the protector and fastfire, but I might have to change the comb piece on my stock because the sight will sit up a little higher. I'll know for sure with some bench time next week.

Ridge Rooster

valimbhanger,

Would you be able to have the 336 mount drilled to match your bolt pattern on the SBE receiver? Might be an option if you really wanted the mount to be as low as possible.

Ridge Rooster

valimbhanger

RR, It looks like it could be done, but it would probably take out too much material at that area of the base to be considered a solid choice for a mounting option for me. I think the multi slot base by weaver sits almost as low and I'm not going to loose sleep thinking my mount is now week because I modified it.
I feel I would be removing the fastfire sight allot just to check and see if anything has moved.
So I guess it could be done to answer your question, but it wouldn't be for an option for me.

Quote from: Ridge Rooster on June 14, 2013, 08:09:08 PM
valimbhanger,

Would you be able to have the 336 mount drilled to match your bolt pattern on the SBE receiver? Might be an option if you really wanted the mount to be as low as possible.

Ridge Rooster

sixbird

I'm having work done right now on my SBE II by Rob Roberts. He's going to use the Warne rear mount...I couldn't get a real clear answer on that particular mount as to whether it needs a picatinny type rail or whether the FF III sits right on the Warne base...I asked a couple of times but wasn't clear on that (might just be me).
When I get mine I'll try to post...

valimbhanger

Rob Roberts answered some questions for me via email last week. He said they use the Warne mounts and the Fastfire will just about cover the entire base. That tells me he is probably using the rear piece on the 2 piece steel base setup (M894/870).
I hope you can post a pic. of that setup when you get it back!
Here's a link to Warne's website and of ther 2 pc. steel bases. If you look at the fit chart it shows the two bases available for the SBE II. http://warnescopemounts.com/product/maxima-steel-2-piece-bases/

Quote from: sixbird on June 15, 2013, 03:22:25 PM
I'm having work done right now on my SBE II by Rob Roberts. He's going to use the Warne rear mount...I couldn't get a real clear answer on that particular mount as to whether it needs a picatinny type rail or whether the FF III sits right on the Warne base...I asked a couple of times but wasn't clear on that (might just be me).
When I get mine I'll try to post...