turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Arkansas non resident license big change

Started by Louisiana Longbeard, August 02, 2023, 11:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

joey46

BUMP - just returned from a Mississippi visit where I picked up a copy of their latest  Outdoor Digest that included the 2024 turkey regs.  Non-res can not hunt any public land during the first two weeks of the MS season.  That includes all public land including the National Forest.  Regular season March 15 - May 1 for residents.  Regular season for non-res April 1 - May 1.  Exceptions for quota hunts. 
License fees - don't know what they were in the past so no comment.  If only hunting 3 or 7 days I've seen worse.   
Sure this is all on line somewhere.  Good luck. 

BTW - still show a limit of 3 gobblers in MS.  Pretty much eliminates any talk about population decline concerns doesn't it?

silvestris

Solent Green is PEOPLE.  I wonder if anyone wishes they hadn't introduced so many others to the great sport of turkey hunting.  This bell can't be unrung.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Louisiana Longbeard on August 02, 2023, 11:51:57 AM
Arkansas changed its 2023/2024 fees big time. You can no longer buy the 1 day, 3 day, and 5 day for turkey. Non resident hunters must buy the license that is $410 plus a $100 turkey stamp fee. So $510 for a non resident to turkey hunt next year!
That is outrageous, every state should in turn charge Arkansas hunters the same fee.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Dtrkyman on August 03, 2023, 12:06:25 PM
We will be Europe before too long, the poor folk will be priced out of hunting, even on "public" lands!
I have said that here more than once, it is like that with leasing now, only the nobles can get in certain areas, one of the major reasons people left other countries. History repeating itself. Also if they cared about the turkey they should lower it to one turkey per person, I see noone supporting the increase supporting that,  both residents and nonresidents should take one but it is a for me situation, not a for the turkey one as they like to claim.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

joey46

Just an IMO but if your state has a limit of more than two don't bother whining about decreasing turkey numbers.  You are the problem not the solution.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: joey46 on August 28, 2023, 06:15:15 PM
Just an IMO but if your state has a limit of more than two don't bother whining about decreasing turkey numbers.  You are the problem not the solution.
Agreed. People get mad when I suggest taking it down to one here until they recover some. (Currently 2 by the way in the Spring and I think 1 in the Fall but may be two)

John Koenig:

deerhunt1988

Quote from: joey46 on August 28, 2023, 06:17:35 AM

BTW - still show a limit of 3 gobblers in MS.  Pretty much eliminates any talk about population decline concerns doesn't it?

Because most biologists know lowering the limit from 3 to 2 will not do a thing on the landscape level to increase turkey populations. And they recognize the importance of preserving opportunity.

Such a small percent of hunters actually take 3 (only about 10% of hunters who actually kill a turkey in MS, get their limit of 3), the change coming from going from 3 to 2 is insignificant. The gobbler "saved" also has to survive other hunters, or even the same hunter (who can take someone else), and then make it another year in nature to be "carried over". Multiple scientific models show the effect is insignificant as well.

Continuing to use MS for example:

10k reported birds harvested
~10% of those birds are someone's #3
~1,000 birds saved (Assumption, they could be killed by someone else) by reducing bag limit to 2
Spread those 1,000 birds across 82 counties
~12 gobblers "saved" per county in MS

The math will look very similar for other states.

Paulmyr

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on August 29, 2023, 08:59:25 AM
Quote from: joey46 on August 28, 2023, 06:17:35 AM

Because most biologists know lowering the limit from 3 to 2 will not do a thing on the landscape level to increase turkey populations. And they recognize the importance of preserving opportunity.

Such a small percent of hunters actually take 3 (only about 10% of hunters who actually kill a turkey in MS, get their limit of 3), the change coming from going from 3 to 2 is insignificant. The gobbler "saved" also has to survive other hunters, or even the same hunter (who can take someone else), and then make it another year in nature to be "carried over". Multiple scientific models show the effect is insignificant as well.

Continuing to use MS for example:

10k reported birds harvested
~10% of those birds are someone's #3
~1,000 birds saved (Assumption, they could be killed by someone else) by reducing bag limit to 2
Spread those 1,000 birds across 82 counties
~12 gobblers "saved" per county in MS

The math will look very similar for other states.

I've been hearing the same. Most biologist don't believe reducing limts would have a significant effect. From the numbers I been hearing I think your 10% might even be a little high.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

nativeks

I can tell you the pressure that was relieved when we went from 2 to 1 was tremendous.

joey46

Quote from: nativeks on August 29, 2023, 11:27:25 AM
I can tell you the pressure that was relieved when we went from 2 to 1 was tremendous.
[/quote

I'm sure it was.  After reading multiple post for multiple months over this precieved turkey population crisis we still have some justifying three bird limits.  If two birds doesn't satisfy you take up golf.

Paulmyr

Quote from: joey46 on August 29, 2023, 05:58:17 PM
Quote from: nativeks on August 29, 2023, 11:27:25 AM

I'm sure it was.  After reading multiple post for multiple months over this precieved turkey population crisis we still have some justifying three bird limits.  If two birds doesn't satisfy you take up golf.

So you'd rather have opportunity taken away by telling somebody they can't hunt anymore because they shot 2 birds instead of the 3 they have been allowed in the past even though the state biologist says it would have no effect on the overall population because the number people who fill all their tags is insignificant. I've heard biologists from 2 states that have a strong heritage of turkey hunting say just this. One state is starting to recover from historic lows and the other just had a record hatch 2 years ago. Biologists on opposite ends of the spectrum as far as the status of thier turkey populations go, agree taking away opportunity by feel good legislation is not the answer.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

troutfisher13111

Research has shown that limiting the harvest of mature gobblers does little to help the population. There have been several studies done that show that. Limiting the number of hunting opportunities does lead to fewer funds to be used by wildlife agencies to combat population decline with more successful methods like habitat improvement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

quavers59

Probably  all States should go to a 2 Gobbler Limit. Still trying to figure out why New Jersey has no Max Limit on Gobblers.  Half of Pennsylvania Turkey Hunters now try to Gobble up as many permits as possible  and descend  on the New Jersey Landscape like Locusts.

joey46

From what I'm reading here it shouldn't make any difference in NJ.  Make them like squirrel with a daily limit of six.  Maybe eight.   There really is no population crisis anywhere. It was all a bad dream.
There was a time when one bird killed made a successful season.  Now maybe not so much.  Too bad.  Wack um and stack um.

Paulmyr

Or possibly the areas having problems are having them for reasons other than a minute number hunters taking one more gobbler than the rest. Poor habitat comes mind. I'll take the word of people who have been studying them for most of their adult lives over throwing darts at a board and hoping one sticks where I want it too.