turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Arkansas non resident license big change

Started by Louisiana Longbeard, August 02, 2023, 11:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Louisiana Longbeard

Arkansas changed its 2023/2024 fees big time. You can no longer buy the 1 day, 3 day, and 5 day for turkey. Non resident hunters must buy the license that is $410 plus a $100 turkey stamp fee. So $510 for a non resident to turkey hunt next year!

joey46

That'll fix them. How much did the resident licenses increase and did the limits change?
Watch how little this will help with the turkey crisis.  LOL.  A guy on a Fl forum wants a $500 Osceola tag.  Politicians laughing.
I'm waiting on some southern states to require decoys be licensed and registered like boats.   Male decoys surcharged.
Other than the border state guys jumping back and forth I can't remember Arkansas being anyone's go to non-res hot spot. The border motels and campgrounds that will lose revenue from this insanity obviously don't count.  Maybe they can start some GoFund Me accounts.

Prospector

:DShoot! A $400 nonresident is nuttin. At last check a DBBlind is almost there in cost. Decoys? Scaring or surpassing a hondo right there. Special clothes, camo, vest? $200 or more. +$1000 shotgun and $10 a shot TSS? Name brand mouth calls and a G.O.A.T. STicker on the truck...  I can't afford them "elite" price tags , lol
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Louisiana Longbeard

Quote from: joey46 on August 02, 2023, 12:39:58 PM
That'll fix them. How much did the resident licenses increase and did the limits change?
Watch how little this will help with the turkey crisis.  LOL.  A guy on a Fl forum wants a $500 Osceola tag.  Politicians laughing.
I'm waiting on some southern states to require decoys be licensed and registered like boats.   Male decoys surcharged.
Other than the border state guys jumping back and forth I can't remember Arkansas being anyone's go to non-res hot spot. The border motels and campgrounds that will lose revenue from this insanity obviously don't count.  Maybe they can start some GoFund Me accounts.

You could buy a 1 day license for $50, a 3 day or 5 day for like $100. Before the increase you did not have to buy the regular license which was $350. They increased that to $410 plus having to buy the $100 stamp.
I'm not griping about it, i will pay it regardless, but i just think its rediculos.

3bailey3

Louisiana Longbeard

The limit is 2, but you can only kill one in the first 7 days.
If you don't think Arkansas was a hot spot, you have never hunted it. It used to be unreal. But the decline in the last 10 years has been bad.

joey46

No I never hunted it.  With Easterns there wasn't any real need to run all over.  When I lived in Ohio I had KY, WV, PA, and TN to choose from.  Ran out of time and money long before running that route further south.

Tail Feathers

Sure seems they don't want many OOS hunters visiting. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

arkrem870

Glad I traveled and hunted for years before a few pimped it out and ruined it....Let the genie out of bottle for peanuts. Loose lips sink ships. #betthat #justadapt
LOOSE LIPS SINK SHIPS

Dtrkyman

So it sounds like Arkansas is the most expensive tag now, and likely the worst state to hunt turkeys? 

Good luck.

Prohunter3509

Quote from: 3bailey3 on August 02, 2023, 05:25:05 PM
Man I hope Ms. will return the favor!!
Mississippi don't have the cuhonies to do that.  You can't hardly get in govt. Woods when turkey season rolls around.

Kyle_Ott

It's a scarce resource and a price increase like that will absolutely deter a significant number of OOS hunters from visiting.  I suspect the increase in license costs for those who choose to buy it will offset any revenue losses potentially incurred from reduced sales.

At the end of the day, states should be taking care of their residents and I firmly believe most residents are willing absorb cost increases incurred by the reduction of non-res opportunity. 

Hell, I'd have a party at my place if Virginia would start charging out of staters $400 bucks and only allow them to kill 1 bird.  It'll be a win for Arkansas hunters and I can only hope for their sake it helps them reclaim a quarter of the reputation that state formerly maintained as a wild turkey power house.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Prohunter3509 on August 02, 2023, 07:15:37 PM
Quote from: 3bailey3 on August 02, 2023, 05:25:05 PM
Man I hope Ms. will return the favor!!
Mississippi don't have the cuhonies to do that.  You can't hardly get in govt. Woods when turkey season rolls around.

At the Mississippi commission meeting in May, a friend of a very powerful former commissioner publicly commented he'd like to see a $500 NR license for turkey. I remember laughing out loud at it. A couple weeks later I saw the Ark news.  :o Couldn't help but wonder if he was already in the know.

shatcher

I'd like to see TN charge Arkansans $1,000.

Crghss

Quote from: Kyle_Ott on August 02, 2023, 08:04:21 PM
It's a scarce resource and a price increase like that will absolutely deter a significant number of OOS hunters from visiting.  I suspect the increase in license costs for those who choose to buy it will offset any revenue losses potentially incurred from reduced sales.

At the end of the day, states should be taking care of their residents and I firmly believe most residents are willing absorb cost increases incurred by the reduction of non-res opportunity. 

Hell, I'd have a party at my place if Virginia would start charging out of staters $400 bucks and only allow them to kill 1 bird.  It'll be a win for Arkansas hunters and I can only hope for their sake it helps them reclaim a quarter of the reputation that state formerly maintained as a wild turkey power house.

Really? Is that taking care of its residents? How many residents will loose income. From hotel fees & taxes? How many restaurants loose income, staff lost tips. Non-residents pay a lots taxes when they visit a state, sales & hotels tax on a room is 19% in Arkansas. Who's going to make up that lost income tax?

Wild game belongs to ALL residents of the state, not just hunters.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...