turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Arkansas non resident license big change

Started by Louisiana Longbeard, August 02, 2023, 11:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deerhunt1988

One thing to keep in mind, is that restricting non-resident hunting on federal land is not a new concept. It's been happening for decades out west for big game. And restrictions just keep getting tighter and tighter out west as demand rises. The EXACT same thing is happening with turkey hunting, just a decade or two later. And if the current turkey culture maintains status quo and doesn't make some changes, folks are going to be in for a rude awakening in another decade. Even higher prices for licenses, higher turkey lease prices, public land/NR restrictions galore. You can bet on it. Some of us have been shouting this for years on here and its all now coming to fruition.

Remember, non-migratory wildlife is managed by the state, not the feds. You can still go hike, birdwatch, bike ride on federal lands in other states as a non-resident. You just may be waiting 5 years to turkey hunt it in the future.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Spurs on August 05, 2023, 06:34:32 AM
Quote from: Paulmyr on August 04, 2023, 09:34:34 AM
I'm guessing Arkansas's raise in license fee will mostly effect the people who need to check that state off in their quest for the slam. Don't see many hunters, other than slam seekers, putting Arkansas high on the priority list of turkey destinations. Slammers will pay the fee whether they like it or not.
The main reason for this change was for duck hunting.  The amount of grand standing behind this movement is astounding.

Eh, but they specifically added $100/each turkey permits. That is definitely geared towards turkey hunters.

This is the first time i've saw it clearly defined that it is $100/turkey permit, initially i was under the assumption it was $100 for both.  So $200 more JUST for turkey hunters if they want to kill 2 birds! Truly $510 for ONE TURKEY, or $610 for two. Wow. I knew turkey was headed the western big game route but we gonna get to deer and elk license prices sooner than I thought!

Nonresident Turkey Permit (must accompany valid Nonresident Annual Hunting License) – $100 each, limit two permits per year

Here is the official link to Ark press release on the license hike:

https://www.agfc.com/en/news/2023/07/19/nonresident-hunters-should-check-twice-for-new-permits-when-renewing-licenses/

joey46

Yes I know that is routinely done out west but the restrictions on non-res on the federal lands has always griped me.  Charging more ok but totally shutting out hunters isn't.  Anyone know how far up in the courts this has been challenged?  Will just take one protected class complaining and one federal judge to throw this into a free-for-all.  There is something going in WY now about corner crossing and BLM land but I don't know enough about it to explain.  Of course there is a YouTube about it somewhere.  Some guys actually built a ladder bridge to cross from one section of BLM to another so as not to trespass at a corner. For all the whining about it IMO if you are hunting out west you do need OnX or a similar app.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: joey46 on August 05, 2023, 11:13:28 AM
Yes I know that is routinely done out west but the restrictions on non-res on the federal lands has always griped me.  Charging more ok but totally shutting out hunters isn't.  Anyone know how far up in the courts this has been challenged?   Will just take one protected class and one federal judge to throw this into a free-for-all.  There is something going in WY now about corner crossing and BLM land but I don't know enough about it to explain.  Of course there is a YouTube about it.

If it could be challenged, I think it would have happened long before now just due to how ingrained it is in western states. There is SO much money involved at this point, probably upwards of $100 mill a year just from non-resident applications and point fees (where NR don't even get a tag to hunt!) Any significant changes would absolutely cripple western state game and fish budgets.

deerhunt1988

I picked the perfect time to hunt Ark this past spring. Best 2 year old crop in a while and saved a few hundred bucks on license fees! I was definitely considering heading back in the future, as I do some deer hunting there too. But they have officially priced me out.

And that bird has beard rot by the way. NOT a jake  :TooFunny:

joey46

How did you get a picture of that size to post? You must be special. Lol.

deerhunt1988

Quote from: joey46 on August 05, 2023, 11:33:24 AM
How did you get a picture of that size to post? You must be special. Lol.

It seriously took me nearly 10 minutes of editing, and editing, and editing the size. Pretty annoying. I ended up just using the "snipping tool" in windows and snipped the actual picture and saved it so it'd reduce file size a ton.

nativeks

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on August 05, 2023, 10:56:02 AM
One thing to keep in mind, is that restricting non-resident hunting on federal land is not a new concept. It's been happening for decades out west for big game. And restrictions just keep getting tighter and tighter out west as demand rises. The EXACT same thing is happening with turkey hunting, just a decade or two later. And if the current turkey culture maintains status quo and doesn't make some changes, folks are going to be in for a rude awakening in another decade. Even higher prices for licenses, higher turkey lease prices, public land/NR restrictions galore. You can bet on it. Some of us have been shouting this for years on here and its all now coming to fruition.

Remember, non-migratory wildlife is managed by the state, not the feds. You can still go hike, birdwatch, bike ride on federal lands in other states as a non-resident. You just may be waiting 5 years to turkey hunt it in the future.
Kansas is looking at restricting duck hunters on all public land in the state to 3 days a week starting in 2024 (federal land included).

3bailey3

3bailey3

joey46

joey46

Quote from: nativeks on August 05, 2023, 12:06:32 PM

Kansas is looking at restricting duck hunters on all public land in the state to 3 days a week starting in 2024 (federal land included).

I thought I read that 3 day thing only applied to non-res?

Swampmonkey

South Carolina is already $400 if you hunt public as a nonresident. Georgia is $325. Alabama $380. Out of state permits have always been ridiculous down here. Granted most offer a little leeway if doing only a few days but not significantly. Only difference is now there's a new leader and the state of this country's economy will also keep driving prices up....and we will pay.

zelmo1

My local F&G commissioner is a big duck hunter and spends time in Arkansas. Last fall he brought up the " reciprocation concept" as to non resident hunting and fishing licenses. It met some resistance but is back again this year with more support. I wonder if this didnt cause the uptick in support. Some serious stuff is brewing. And yes, I am getting my Osceola as soon as possible. Anything that is in limited numbers always gets crazy to do. Z

nativeks

Quote from: joey46 on August 06, 2023, 06:19:32 AM
Quote from: nativeks on August 05, 2023, 12:06:32 PM

I thought I read that 3 day thing only applied to non-res?
That is correct. NR duck hunters can only hunt public lands in the state Sun-tues if passed. I apologize for my vague wording above