OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Arkansas non resident license big change

Started by Louisiana Longbeard, August 02, 2023, 11:51:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom007

I'm surprised these License hikes, fees, qualifying licenses, etc haven't spread through all the states. It is a huge revenue generator for their economies. Take Colorado for example. They take in over 3.2 Billion annually through hunting and fishing creating 25,000 plus jobs. In order to Big Game Hunt, you have to purchase a "Qualifying License" in order to enter their draw lotteries. This license change took place in 2019 I believe, it increased license revenue by 20%. Hunters still flock there every year, the increases have not slowed non-resident interests. Unfortunately this "Cash Cow" mentality could easily distract attention if the game resource numbers diminish. Once your used to collecting all that cash, it's hard to turn back. Let's hope it doesn't spread, but I fear it will.......

joey46

Just a guess but any non-res heading to FL for that Osceola are good for a while.  These politicians love when you come down, dump the wife and kids in Orlando, and run off to hunt.  $$$$$$$. Does any state have quota hunts and not give residents a priority?  I am talking about the general quotas not the very limited Special Op hunts. We all get to pay $5 per chance for these.

Crghss

Quote from: Dtrkyman on August 03, 2023, 12:06:25 PM
We will be Europe before too long, the poor folk will be priced out of hunting, even on "public" lands!

Already happening
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Crghss

While I wouldn't hunt turkey in AR $700 seems pretty cheap for a Wapiti license.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Dtrkyman

Definitely a cheap Elk tag these days, by the time I cash in my Wyoming points and buy a tag I will be over 2k most likely.  Oh well it's only money, what else are you going to do with it besides spend it?

Greg Massey

My suggestion from this old man, is you only live once, so enjoy and do what makes you happy.... If hunting other states or staying home ....  It's only money... Just look at what people pay for duck leases and hunting leases ....

sasquatch1

Quote from: Greg Massey on August 03, 2023, 07:53:15 PM
My suggestion from this old man, is you only live once, so enjoy and do what makes you happy.... If hunting other states or staying home ....  It's only money... Just look at what people pay for duck leases and hunting leases ....
Disney vacations!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

PalmettoRon

It doesn't affect me and from what I've been reading, Arkansas has been a poor state for turkey hunting for some time.

I would be interested in what the percentage of NR kills in Arkansas is compared to R hunters?

I don't see how this move is going to help the population of turkeys in Arkansas unless a significant percentage of the kill is from NR hunters.

There are a ton of states with Easterns with better populations and much less expensive NR licenses, so for sure it will make no sense to travel and pay $500 for a license.

Paulmyr

I'm guessing Arkansas's raise in license fee will mostly effect the people who need to check that state off in their quest for the slam. Don't see many hunters, other than slam seekers, putting Arkansas high on the priority list of turkey destinations. Slammers will pay the fee whether they like it or not.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Spurs

Quote from: Paulmyr on August 04, 2023, 09:34:34 AM
I'm guessing Arkansas's raise in license fee will mostly effect the people who need to check that state off in their quest for the slam. Don't see many hunters, other than slam seekers, putting Arkansas high on the priority list of turkey destinations. Slammers will pay the fee whether they like it or not.
The main reason for this change was for duck hunting.  The amount of grand standing behind this movement is astounding.
This year is going to suck!!!

Prospector

As everyone knows, I dislike the crowding that has become Turkey hunting as it rises in popularity. However, I am not about reduction in individual opportunity. Keeping that short, I would rather see changes in HOW we hunt rather than when or where we hunt... As a Mississippi rez and of course only imagining Florida I can certainly understand the crowded conditions.
So, as food for thought, I'm asking this: What if instead of pricing us out of traveling to another state, we gave a certain amount of opening season to residents? For example, next season, MS spring season is 50+ days. I would propose that the first 20-25% of the season is MS resident only. So March 15 is Friday. Residents hunt that WE, all the next week, and the following WE. On Monday, March 25 it would open to the general public so to speak. If you are in the northern clime and your season is 3wks(21 days) then residents only the first 3-5days. In MS at least if we aren't changing our opening it gets us to other states openings. What do y'all think? It may never happen but is it a valid idea?
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

GobbleNut

Quote from: Prospector on August 05, 2023, 07:15:47 AM
As everyone knows, I dislike the crowding that has become Turkey hunting as it rises in popularity. However, I am not about reduction in individual opportunity. Keeping that short, I would rather see changes in HOW we hunt rather than when or where we hunt... As a Mississippi rez and of course only imagining Florida I can certainly understand the crowded conditions.
So, as food for thought, I'm asking this: What if instead of pricing us out of traveling to another state, we gave a certain amount of opening season to residents? For example, next season, MS spring season is 50+ days. I would propose that the first 20-25% of the season is MS resident only. So March 15 is Friday. Residents hunt that WE, all the next week, and the following WE. On Monday, March 25 it would open to the general public so to speak. If you are in the northern clime and your season is 3wks(21 days) then residents only the first 3-5days. In MS at least if we aren't changing our opening it gets us to other states openings. What do y'all think? It may never happen but is it a valid idea?

Personally, I have no issues with discussing, and possibly implementing, suggestions like this.  However, I think a lot of these beginning-of-the-season nonresident issues would be solved simply by states getting together and agreeing to start their seasons on the same dates.  That, in itself, would eliminate the issue of nonresidents jumping from state to state based on trying to hit the openers.  If regional states (at least) decided to do this, hunters would have to make a single choice as to where to start their seasons.  This, in itself, would go a long way in solving the perceived nonresident crowding problems being experienced on public lands in certain states.  A guy can't be in south Florida and Mississippi at the same time...   ;D

Dtrkyman

Delaying the season would just create a problem at a different time of the season,  guess it would be fine by the locals, but guys would just flock there when they can.

A regional start date would be an interesting concept.

Personally I do not hunt states based on openers, I only hunt openers in 2 states that are convernient.  That being said both of those states were a potential chit show, really busy, however I was able to avoid pressure and take birds in each stae quickly. 

Prospector

I certainly can see both sides. My suggestion only stems from the fact that ALL Turkey hunters should be able to expierence spring esp on Public ground fairly and economically in any/all states. My argument is that I believe most if not all public is federal land ( realizing that the resource is state "owned"). My gist is I from MS have just as much right to NF in Arkansas as someone from there in MS. In fact, I think NR prices should be level across the states with federally backed public land ( realizing that's a stretch too). I feel that 99% of MS crowding is bc our opening is before surrounding states. Therefore, the nod to residents the first part of the season. Now the regional concept is interesting. The only problem with that I could foresee is you cannot lump MS and say TN together. Having hunted both, east central MS is in full swing b4 east TN even starts gaining traction. I'm sure the same phenomenon would occur between MS and Florida ( esp southern Florida). At that point, I think you would have to draw lines E to W through states. I too enjoy this kind of discourse, real people being real....
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

deerhunt1988

Quote from: Prospector on August 05, 2023, 07:15:47 AM

At one of this year's commission meetings, someone with political ties made public comment with this very idea. Personally, I'd hate to see it even though i'm a resident of MS. I'm sick of this path of opportunity reduction in turkey hunting. But I would not be surprised in the least if some states eventually go this route. And we hunters helped do it to ourselves by supporting those commercially exploiting our public resources.