OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many pot calls do you carry.

Started by Crghss, January 22, 2023, 08:01:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Quackhound

Sir-diealot

2 to 4 depending on the day. Normally some form of slate, a copper, Stumpy ceramic and I am making a green anodized aluminum that I want to try quite a bit along with others that I have made, they will get switched in and out.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

TauntoHawk

1 or 2 not a large part of my calling rotation anymore. I used them a lot before I could run a mouth call and discovered scratch boxes. I'm more likely to carry 2 scratchers than 2 pots

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

afhunter1

Spec 1 legend Slate
     Black Cody Striker

Townsend Osage Glass
      Osage/Snakewood striker

Roberts Walnut Raw Aluminum
      Townsend diamondwood striker
       JLH carbon striker for rain

Only mouth calls here is a trumpet!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods. Yoder409
Over time...they come to learn how little air a good yelper actually requires. ChesterCopperpot

reflexl

dzsmith

2 pots . Aluminum and glass . Aluminum is used the most , but the glass has killed the most . Not a fan of slate as I've never found one I truly like. Both the aluminum and glass will get quiet. I am considering getting a copper from red beard for tree talk.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

btomlin

Crystal, glass, and a slate with hickory, dymondwood, and waterproof striker. 

J-Shaped

1 pot call, 3 strikers. Mouth calls in a wallet around my neck with a trumpet. That covers 99% of how I hunt. Will tote a box only if I feel like it, which is typically when covering new ground or in windy conditions, which usually equates to when I'm chasing them somewhere outside of my local area.

If any vest has space for a second pot call, I've found it's a great place for extra Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies or Moonpies.  ;D

silvestris

Weight & room.  How do you deal with those elements.  I bought me a adjustable striker from AMCalls and some dowels from different species.  Your head weigh remains constant.  Variable dowel length and multi-species of dowels from which to choose affords you much variety in your calling.  Swapping dowels is not a problem so long as you mark the dowels to retain your sweet spot(s).  The dowel heads are the heavier part of a striker, so you reduce much of the weight while increasing your variety by carrying a few extra dowels to exchange.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Yoder409 on January 24, 2023, 09:52:10 PM
Quote from: mountainhunter1 on January 24, 2023, 08:43:05 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on January 23, 2023, 08:02:53 AM
Quote from: Guskie on January 23, 2023, 07:52:48 AM
My vest has two of the round pot call pockets on it. One holds a turkey call and the other holds two oatmeal creme pies

:icon_thumright: :TooFunny: :icon_thumright:

Solid, SOLID plan !!!!!!!!   Unless you plan on running a diaphragm call.......    :toothy9:

Amen, a peanut butter sandwich mid morning is not much better.

You must gotta clean your diaphragms with a pressure washer.............

:TooFunny: :TooFunny: :TooFunny:

You are right about that brother. It is all about timing. I try to make sure I eat that type stuff when I know that I have about 30 minutes to get it all worked out of my mouth and teeth before back working a bird. And that works out to perfection about - well maybe one percent of the time. Point being - If I am having trouble striking a turkey, all I have to do is pop a peanut butter sandwich into my mouth and the woods will light up with gobbling.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Dtrkyman

One, occassionally two.  3 strikers.  Mostly use a crystal for locating.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Spring Creek Calls

One at a time but rotate them often.
2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

fishr64

3-4 depending on the day.
Cody Spec I Legend
Cody Spec I Glass
Enticer Silver Thunder
Cody World Class Glass or Slate or a Lyman DD or a Halloran or something else that strikes me at the time
6 different one or two piece strikers. Cody Black Knight, Lyman ABW, Tulipwood, Diamond Wood and BW Ebony and sometimes a Cody carbon tip or Enticer aluminum tip for bad weather

I carry too many calls and know it, but it always seems that when I trim back I end up wishing I had something that I took out, so I just carry them and get used to it as the season goes.