OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Effects of social media etc.

Started by Jimspur, July 16, 2021, 07:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimspur

Hey Guys - There's a podcast covering this very subject and the hosts
have Kenny Mount, aka "Chubbs" as their guest. Chubbs has done some
hunting with Dave Owens of the Pinhoti Project, but is not a social
media guy himself.

They cover a variety of topics including the effects of social media,
the effects of the various slams, differences between old school
turkey hunters and today's turkey hunters, and hunting pressure.

Well worth listening to.

The podcast is on theturkeyhunterpodcast.com episode 349 from
July 8th, 2021. "More Musings with Chubbs".

I'm not smart enough to post a link, but if anyone else wants to feel free.

deerhunt1988

Here is the link:

https://www.theturkeyhunterpodcast.com/e/349-more-musings-with-chubbs/

It really was a good podcast. Chubbs isn't ignorant to what is happening and is willing to speak up, and I respect him for that. Like he said, if you don't think YouTube is having an impact, just go hunt a couple parts of Alabama.

Jimspur

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on July 16, 2021, 08:08:39 PM
Here is the link:

https://www.theturkeyhunterpodcast.com/e/349-more-musings-with-chubbs/

It really was a good podcast. Chubbs isn't ignorant to what is happening and is willing to speak up, and I respect him for that. Like he said, if you don't think YouTube is having an impact, just go hunt a couple parts of Alabama.

Yes it was a good podcast with different points of view, and Chubbs
doesn't have a dog in this fight as he doesn't do social media.

Thanks for posting the link.

Tail Feathers

And the timing is perfect for those on this board.  Regarding another post of course. :funnyturkey:
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

arkrem870

It's difference in someone who truly cares about turkey hunting deep down. That was turkey hunting before social media and will be hunting after it crashes. VS those that are in it for the "look at me" and the likes. 

A small minority of us have been saying this for years and more will join as our sport is  being damaged beyond repair

Yoteduster

I totally agree with Arkrem870..100%

Howie g

I like to listen to podcast , but honestly normally never finish them because they 90 % of the time get to silly or way off track . But this podcast with chubs was a good one . He explained how I actually feel to the T .  He gets it for sure .  They also said something in this podcast that I've never thought of . The fact that most of the younger hunters these days have grown up in this social media driven life style , posting pics etc is just the norm for them. They never grew up having to learn on your own as I did , I didn't have but a couple of elders to learn from, and they where very conservative on giving tips , locations etc .   My point is the fact that " maybe " I should lighten up and stop being so narrow minded and except the fact that this social media is here to stay and the pics , location info etc is just a product of the younger guys up bringing... "maybe "

Jimspur

Quote from: Howie g on July 20, 2021, 07:00:33 AM
I like to listen to podcast , but honestly normally never finish them because they 90 % of the time get to silly or way off track . But this podcast with chubs was a good one . He explained how I actually feel to the T .  He gets it for sure .  They also said something in this podcast that I've never thought of . The fact that most of the younger hunters these days have grown up in this social media driven life style , posting pics etc is just the norm for them. They never grew up having to learn on your own as I did , I didn't have but a couple of elders to learn from, and they where very conservative on giving tips , locations etc .   My point is the fact that " maybe " I should lighten up and stop being so narrow minded and except the fact that this social media is here to stay and the pics , location info etc is just a product of the younger guys up bringing... "maybe "

The other thing you need to remember is that these younger hunters
also started hunting during a time when there were lots of turkeys.
People are much more likely to share information when there are turkeys
everywhere. As populations dwindle, I imagine the loose lips will tighten
up.
I wonder how many of them will stick with it when the going gets tough.
Looks like we're about to find out.

Shiloh

This is what I don't get about these arguments.  Chubbs comes out and does this podcast and says what we all think and want to hear and gets a big applause, BUT..........Chubbs is hunting with Dave every year and is by far the most popular personality that Dave hunts with, so he is taking a huge part in social media and is part of what you all say the problem is.  I think it is pretty hypocritical personally and seems like a little bit of lip service although he does seem genuine.  I have no problem with the videos or youtube or Chubbs, but I do agree that state names and details should be left out and that is what I will be pushing for.

Jimspur

Quote from: Shiloh on July 20, 2021, 10:11:03 AM
This is what I don't get about these arguments.  Chubbs comes out and does this podcast and says what we all think and want to hear and gets a big applause, BUT..........Chubbs is hunting with Dave every year and is by far the most popular personality that Dave hunts with, so he is taking a huge part in social media and is part of what you all say the problem is.  I think it is pretty hypocritical personally and seems like a little bit of lip service although he does seem genuine.  I have no problem with the videos or youtube or Chubbs, but I do agree that state names and details should be left out and that is what I will be pushing for.

If you listened to the podcast they actually talked about how hypocritical
they were. I don't look at it as an argument, I look at it as people giving different viewpoints about a topic that we're all interested in.

Yes Chubbs hunts with Dave sometimes, but as far as I know he's
never made a dime off of social media.

The podcast was their opinions, no different than your opinion, or my
opinion. It was a discussion on the effects of social media on hunting
pressure, and the effect of slams etc.

Why does everyone think everything's an argument, or want to start an
argument?
Whatever happened to debate, exchange of ideas, learning from others
with different opinions than yours, etc.?

silvestris

First, what came first, the chicken or the egg?   
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Shiloh

Noble cause Jim, but anyone that reads these forums is going to say it appears that people are arguing.  You make a good point, but we as hunters bicker back and forth a lot.  Very rarely do we come together and actually get much done by being unified.  To your point though.  We should be able to discuss/debate for the good of the resource.  That means that everyone can't be right all the time and can't get what they want all the time.  They also can't take their ball and go home when they don't get what they want.  Insert we for they in the above text. 

Jimspur

I agree with you 100% Shiloh - we all can't be right all the time.
We all live in different areas with different circumstances, so what might
work or apply in one area won't work in another.
That's why I think the debate is good. It can open your eyes to something
you may not have considered.
People nowadays tend to have kneejerk reactions when someone says
something they don't like, and then the bickering ensues.
If people would communicate with each other as if they were face to face,
a lot of this arguing would stop.

MattM

Here I am on a internet forum. But I will say this. I am 64 years old and I would go back to pre internet, cell phone days in a heart beat. The world was a better place before all this stuff.

Jimspur

Quote from: MattM on July 20, 2021, 12:50:33 PM
Here I am on a internet forum. But I will say this. I am 64 years old and I would go back to pre internet, cell phone days in a heart beat. The world was a better place before all this stuff.

I'm 61 years old - you'll get no argument out of me!