OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Effects of social media etc.  (Read 3165 times)

Offline Shiloh

Re: Effects of social media etc.
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2021, 02:19:31 PM »
I’m 42 and you’d get no argument out of me.

We agree Jimspur.  Everyone has to give a little. 

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2021, 04:02:41 PM »
Here I am on a internet forum. But I will say this. I am 64 years old and I would go back to pre internet, cell phone days in a heart beat. The world was a better place before all this stuff.

I'm 61 years old - you'll get no argument out of me!
I’m 61 as well, where do I sign up?   Put me down for pre internet, pre cell phone, pre Osceola, pre slam and pre NWTF.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline sasquatch1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2021, 04:25:24 PM »
34 and would love it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2021, 04:50:46 PM »
Well, at 76 I'm certainly one of the oldest still avidly turkey hunting. When I started there was no internet, social media etc. You had hard copy topo maps and such...and that was it. Now, with the internet, social media, OnX, Huntstand, Gaia et al things will never be the same....and never regress. That's just the way it is. Technology never goes back, only forward. Would I like it to go back 40 years...absolutely...but it ere what it ere. Plus, with social media, all these jokers on ego trips to tell, and show, everyone what great "turkey hunters" they are. I don't watch any of this crap because it makes my arse ache.

Actually, thinking about it, I guess I'm somewhat of a hypocrite because I'm using this social media platform of OG to comment. As are you from viewing it.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2021, 05:35:46 PM by Turkeyman »

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2021, 05:55:10 PM »
This is what I don't get about these arguments.  Chubbs comes out and does this podcast and says what we all think and want to hear and gets a big applause, BUT...…….Chubbs is hunting with Dave every year and is by far the most popular personality that Dave hunts with, so he is taking a huge part in social media and is part of what you all say the problem is.  I think it is pretty hypocritical personally and seems like a little bit of lip service although he does seem genuine.  I have no problem with the videos or youtube or Chubbs, but I do agree that state names and details should be left out and that is what I will be pushing for.
They tip-toed around some specific points they could have made, and yes they admitted fault in their own actions, thus the hypocrite references.  I felt like he wasn’t denying his part in it, but at least recognizes the negatives that come with it.  We shall see if those in positions of influence are willing to make adjustments moving forward.   

I like to listen to podcast , but honestly normally never finish them because they 90 % of the time get to silly or way off track . But this podcast with chubs was a good one . He explained how I actually feel to the T .  He gets it for sure .  They also said something in this podcast that I’ve never thought of . The fact that most of the younger hunters these days have grown up in this social media driven life style , posting pics etc is just the norm for them. They never grew up having to learn on your own as I did , I didn’t have but a couple of elders to learn from, and they where very conservative on giving tips , locations etc .   My point is the fact that “ maybe “ I should lighten up and stop being so narrow minded and except the fact that this social media is here to stay and the pics , location info etc is just a product of the younger guys up bringing... “maybe “
Do we lighten up and not say anything, or do we educate as to the dangers that accompany such free flowing information?  If we don’t speak up, where does it stop?   I agree 100% that a lot of it stems from a simple lack of understanding, or as they discussed in the podcast, the importance of self and the importance of turkeys are out of balance.   Are you a good steward that is responsible or is your self worth more important?  At this point there are various reasons many share information…..lack of understanding or arrogance, to name a couple.  One can’t be fixed, but maybe the other can.   I do know if we don’t voice concerns and try to educate, it will only get worse, to the point that no one will be pleased with.