turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Old School vs New School of Hunting

Started by Greg Massey, May 08, 2021, 11:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Has cell phones change the way you hunting ? I see more of the younger generation getting out of vehicle's with cell phones in hand with these map hunting apps and covering ground in hopes of finding a gobbler, a lot of this is done without any prior scouting. Has the days of the old school compass and topo maps become a thing of the pass ? Has scouting for turkeys become a thing of the pass ? If you took the cell phones away form these younger generation of hunters could they still kill gobblers? I feel turkey hunting has really changed in the last few years because of cell phones in my opinion.

Dazzler

Quote from: Greg Massey on May 08, 2021, 11:15:09 AM
Has cell phones change the way you hunting ? I see more of the younger generation getting out of vehicle's with cell phones in hand with these map hunting apps and covering ground in hopes of finding a gobbler, a lot of this is done without any prior scouting. Has the days of the old school compass and topo maps become a thing of the pass ? Has scouting for turkeys become a thing of the pass ? If you took the cell phones away form these younger generation of hunters could they still kill gobblers? I feel turkey hunting has really changed in the last few years because of cell phones in my opinion.
Everything has changed because of smartphones and not all for the better.

The mapping thing is pretty convenient in terms of marking things on a map, but the skills of using a compass and map to navigate are definitely a skill not many younger people have these days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gooserbat

I use my cell phone a lot.  It does make going in blind become more of going in with one eye open.   Nothing however will replace boots on the ground.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

rakkin6

I do have huntstand on my phone but I don't use it for navigation. I use terrain association and dead reckoning for that. But I do use it to mark areas where I have found bedding areas, turkey roosting sites, scrape lines etc. Before I start heading in I just check it again and walk on into the area. I pretty much hunt public land exclusively (Fort Campbell Army Base) so it's a little different here, you pretty much get assigned an area to hunt each day. So if you scout one area prior to the season you are not guaranteed to get that area. So this helps when there are a possible 52 areas you could wind up in. Some of the areas are massive and some are smaller.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Pluffmud

If you were to take away OnX, I would simply bring multiple hard maps with me and a compass. I would cover the same amount of ground and scour topo maps and property lines all the same. It would simply take me longer to do it.
Psalm 46:10

Kygobblergetter

I use onX a lot. It's very helpful and yes I use it to scout a lot before out of state hunts. That being said if I had to get paper maps and scout that way I would. I'm pretty confident I could kill gobblers with only a gun and diaphragm call consistently without onX. It is nice being able to focus on just heading towards that gobbling bird without paying attention to how to get back to the truck though

Turkeyman62

I'm old school boots on the ground

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

A Gobbler Yelp Spring Or Fall Is A Long Conversation..

Kygobblergetter

I greatly prefer boots on the ground. But that's not doable sometimes when heading to a new place with 2 days to hunt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Both phone apps and paper topos have limits. Hunters can't "know" the ground by looking at it on the phone or looking at a map, that takes in field observation and experience.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Happy

Not for me. It would be nice for me to be able to see property lines and but thats it. I prefer to hunt one on one with a turkey. No pin dropping and whatnot. I use a bushnell backtrack to mark my truck and go. In my opinion we lost fair chase to technology a long time ago. I want to improve myself as a hunter not a tech expert. The guys I have always held in high esteem are the ones that can go to new ground,hear a tom and go get him. Just camo, calls, and a gun. But like many things its my personal opinion and what I want to be one day when I grow up.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Ol timer

Great topic you can open up a can of worms with this post, nothing is old school anymore the list of things used today to hunt is endless. I guess it's the future of hunting join it or get left behind. I'm sure there are still a few of us that remember hunting before the internet and cell phones. Those where better times.

lowoctane

Quote from: paboxcall on May 08, 2021, 12:45:45 PM
Both phone apps and paper topos have limits. Hunters can't "know" the ground by looking at it on the phone or looking at a map, that takes in field observation and experience.

AMEN BROTHER!!!
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

lowoctane

Quote from: Ol timer on May 08, 2021, 01:51:47 PM
Great topic you can open up a can of worms with this post, nothing is old school anymore the list of things used today to hunt is endless. I guess it's the future of hunting join it or get left behind. I'm sure there are still a few of us that remember hunting before the internet and cell phones. Those where better times.

Yes sir! More enjoyable too. Now I will say if you've got another person that you're hunting with the small radios are nice to have, especially if your partner is older than yourself.
I'm Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

mtns2hunt

As with pretty much everything on this forum we will never 100% agree. I am older and use my smart phone maps alot. I also us a separate GPS and yes I still remember and use topo maps. I am comfortable with all and have no problems with technology. Nor do I have any problems with anyone that decides to limit technology's use. Its an individual choice. Why stoke the fire?
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

simpzenith

Ya'll just wait til LiDAR becomes readily available to hunters. There's already a LiDAR mobile app available for the state MN that I use when hunting hill country there. It's amazing the level of detail it exposes about the terrain. For example, I can see grown over logging roads cut into the mountain side.