OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Old School vs New School of Hunting  (Read 3954 times)

Online RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Old School vs New School of Hunting
« Reply #30 on: May 09, 2021, 11:06:21 AM »
It's now called cyber-scouting.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Offline Ol timer

« Reply #31 on: May 09, 2021, 12:19:11 PM »
It's now called cyber-scouting.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.
So true like on line dating you never know what’s in the chocolate box till you open it.

Online Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2021, 12:28:43 PM »
I guess I'm new school. I use a shotgun instead of a stick bow and have a smart phone. I also have a truck instead of a horse.
Jim

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: May 09, 2021, 12:31:15 PM »
I guess I'm new school. I use a shotgun instead of a stick bow and have a smart phone. I also have a truck instead of a horse.
  I'm old school, i have mule and slingshot ...

Online Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #34 on: May 09, 2021, 12:33:02 PM »
  I'm old school, i have mule and slingshot ...

Whatever works for you.  :funnyturkey:
Jim

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #35 on: May 10, 2021, 11:03:31 AM »
I use onX primarily to make sure I'm not crossing boundary lines. Sometimes public and private boundaries are not marked very well if at all and i always want to make sure i'm hunting in a place that i am allowed to be. I also use it to send my wife gps coordinates when I'm hunting public land in case of an emergency.  I let it track me while I'm hunting mainly because I've lost things and it makes it easier to backtrack. But as far as scouting goes that app can't tell you where there is turkey sign.
Yup!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #36 on: May 10, 2021, 11:16:21 AM »
It has kept me awake the hr before bird business starts. It has also help me find property lines, and my way back if I get lost. But most of all...it let's the wife text me when it's time to come home:(

Offline Meleagris gallopavo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • I struggle, but still succeed...
« Reply #37 on: May 10, 2021, 02:29:14 PM »
It has never occurred to me that a cell phone would help me kill turkeys.  I may be a little different than most because I hunt a lot of private land that I grew up around.  I do keep my cell phone with me when I turkey hunt to: 1) be accessible in case of an emergency; 2) keep my eye on the weather when I suspect rain is approaching; 3) keep track of what time it is; 4) monitor OG for giveaways ending; and 5) what was said earlier about helping silent turkeys sneaking up on me.  I imagine cell phones are more helpful when you are hunting an area you haven't hunted before.  So far as scouting, I ride to all the places I hunt and look for turkeys before the season starts.  Since I'm very familiar with the places I hunt the movement and roosting patterns don't differ much from year to year.  However, some years the turkeys just aren't there at all and some years they're all over the same place.  If I don't see turkeys or turkey sign I simply hunt somewhere else.  Once in a while I'll get permission to hunt new property and I walk it and familiarize myself with it before I hunt.  I'll get on the internet and look at aerial images of the property as well and correlate that with what I saw on the ground.  I imagine I may be an outlier because I have a lot of familiar property to hunt close to home that holds a lot of turkeys.  I get enough excitement hunting the same ol' places year after year, and I don't particularly care for traveling.
I live and hunt by empirical evidence.

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #38 on: May 10, 2021, 03:44:15 PM »
I recently lost a piece of good private land where I hunted for a long while. The smart phone did come in handy on public this year. It’s nice to know property boundaries to prevent trespassing.
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2021, 10:44:45 PM »
Onx topos only get you so far when hunting. It shows major ridge lines and finger ridges but that's about it. There are a lot of terrain features that just don't show up. Little drainages off the side of the finger ridges are nearly impossible to see on onx topos. Boots on the ground are the only means of finding these smaller features. I use it mainly for property lines. I drop waypoints for roost sights and what not but I did that with paper maps as well.
 Does it help me kill turkeys? I think it's more of a tool to find areas that need further investigation same as a paper topo. An experienced hunter can look at either and narrow his search areas down. Onx just saves a little time. You still need to know how to hunt them to kill birds consistently.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline bonasa

« Reply #40 on: May 11, 2021, 07:13:27 AM »
There was a time I was a younger hunter. Used to drive the logging roads in state-land at dusk and cutt-cackle, locate and keep an inventory of known birds before/during the season. Worked well then. Now I have a lot of permission on private land and keep track through visually seeing where they strutt, feed and end up at dusk without roosting them. Drive by scouting helps save time when monitoring the waterfowl, checking traps and locating gobblers. The APP's help find who owns the land and a knock on the door generally results in permission.