OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Old School vs New School of Hunting

Started by Greg Massey, May 08, 2021, 11:15:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Quote from: simpzenith on May 08, 2021, 02:36:57 PM
Ya'll just wait til LiDAR becomes readily available to hunters. There's already a LiDAR mobile app available for the state MN that I use when hunting hill country there. It's amazing the level of detail it exposes about the terrain. For example, I can see grown over logging roads cut into the mountain side.
Yes , but could you still kill as may turkeys without using your cell phone?

drake799

Cell phones have killed a bunch of turkeys IMO.    I'm not gonna say they're unfair. But they're almost unfair lol

fallhnt

Makes taking pictures easier

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

the Ward

Quote from: fallhnt on May 08, 2021, 03:26:38 PM
Makes taking pictures easier

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

That's about all i can do with my phone. I can call, text, and take pictures. Dang if i can figure out how to post them though. I need to learn how pretty soon , i have some pattern and turkey pics i want to get posted up!

Sir-diealot

When I am hunting public I am scouting as much as I can, unfortunately the private land I hunt I am not allowed to scout because they are afraid I am going to scare all the turkey away. Sure wish they would let me scout. I do use Basemap to look at areas I may be able to go on their land though this year with the knee and foot problems I have been having I have stuck completely in the blind which was not at all the plan for the season. Hope your season is going well Greg.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

HillclimberWV

I use onX primarily to make sure I'm not crossing boundary lines. Sometimes public and private boundaries are not marked very well if at all and i always want to make sure i'm hunting in a place that i am allowed to be. I also use it to send my wife gps coordinates when I'm hunting public land in case of an emergency.  I let it track me while I'm hunting mainly because I've lost things and it makes it easier to backtrack. But as far as scouting goes that app can't tell you where there is turkey sign.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

sswv

old school boots to the ground. I don't rely on any modern devices other than a compass and game cameras. I do own a handheld GPS but I've never carried it hunting or scouting and yes I have a cell phone but, I don't have any type of GPS app on it. I've been in the woods all my life (I'm past 60) and I've never needed a search party to find me. Coon hunted for years, hunted ginseng all my life and been to several other states hunting and always end up back where I'm supposed to be. Guess I've just been lucky.

Dazzler

I have one of those Coghlan's ball compass pinned on my pack straps, An etrex GPS and a cell phone. My sense of direction is on not the best, and one of my biggest fears is having to have a SAR team deployed in my honor.

Mainly drop pins for deer sign, and access points to hunt able areas. Other than that they are used to get get back to the truck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

guesswho

I'm slowly transitioning to new school.  Use to be boots on the ground.   Now about half the time it's crocs on the ground.   
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

shatcher

Cell phones are a problem.  They allow trespassers to text their driver when it's time to get picked back up.

Pluffmud

What a minute... Im confused here... Are yall suggesting that the use of ANY map is "new school?" And that putting a boot on the ground blind is "old school?" It doesnt matter whether the map is digital or hard copy. It does the same thing. And it doesnt matter whether you decided to go scout at a location because you found it on a map, or because you drove by it and made an impulse decision to go check it out blind. Both will kill turkeys. Suggesting that people who hunted 30+ years ago did not use any kind of map to their advantage is a far stretch and not based off of any evidence.
Psalm 46:10

Ol timer

Quote from: Pluffmud on May 09, 2021, 09:08:49 AM

What a minute... Im confused here... Are yall suggesting that the use of ANY map is "new school?" And that putting a boot on the ground blind is "old school?" It doesnt matter whether the map is digital or hard copy. It does the same thing. And it doesnt matter whether you decided to go scout at a location because you found it on a map, or because you drove by it and made an impulse decision to go check it out blind. Both will kill turkeys. Suggesting that people who hunted 30+ years ago did not use any kind of map to their advantage is a far stretch and not based off of any evidence.

What the OP states is true 30+ years ago you did early scouting before any season months ahead, no maps just old school hunting no waypoints no sharing your info with anyone, no social media BS, no instant gratification!! Go out and learn how to hunt not get lucky with the aid of a App.and You Tube.

Howie g

I was killing my share of em before cell phones where invented . That said , I use on x to find property lines on out of state hunts , but that's about all I know how to use it for . A big portion of the reason I hunt is finding new places and putting the puzzle together on my own terms , not technology's terms . Plus , while I'm in the timber hunting , I'm trying to get away from my phone ...

strum

Ive used my phone to help a silent gobbler sneak in on me.   :TooFunny:

eggshell

I been at this for 48 years and I have hunted 8 sates, all before we even had the internet or cell phones. Any prescouting with topos had to be done months ahead by ordering maps by phone. I done a ton of hunts by just showing up in an area after looking at road maps and finding state/national forest or by talking to people. Magazines and NWTF helped. whenever I traveled I asked in restaurants and wherever about turkeys. I have walked the mountains and the plains looking for gobblers. I used to have a saying, "the first trip to a new area was only scouting". If you found and killed a turkey it was a bonus. I frequented coffee shops, farm stores, bait shops, gun shops and more. I got a lot of places to hunt by just being friendly and talking to people. I will admit that today's world is not as friendly and joining the liars table in a coffee shop will most likely only get you stared at in a lot of towns. Too many landowners have had bad experiences and frankly they sold out their land to leases. Now it is much easier with computers and apps on cell phones and I am right there using it all. Sure it's easier, but it's only a starting point, you still need to get on the ground. What it does do is eliminate some of those wasted trips where you learned that you only wasted time and money going there. I like the new toys and the fact they save you time and money. Sure they also make it more congested and harder to find that secret spot, but adapting to change is inevitable in life. Adapt or be left behind. I will take a few newbies showing up if over all my life is made simplier