OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: NWTF's YouTube annocment of marketing change opinion  (Read 10341 times)

Online Happy

• Limbhanger
Re: NWTF's YouTube annocment of marketing change opinion
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2021, 08:51:30 PM »
Looks like someone did the old hand tracing Thanksgiving turkey thingy for the logo.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2021, 09:04:45 PM »
Looks like someone did the old hand tracing Thanksgiving turkey thingy for the logo.

:TooFunny:
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Hobbes

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2021, 09:18:11 PM »

I knew it reminded me of something....they stole a 2nd graders Thanksgiving art project.

Offline TheRogueOutdoorsman

« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2021, 10:30:05 PM »
Thanks Bowguy for the link - I could only stomach about 20 minutes of the marketing B.S. I was a long time member of the NWTF for years until the 2008 fiasco. Looks like a change in strategy to attract more dollars, and to stay relevant to me.
It's a shame the way everything has gone down, but I'll never give them another cent. I wish them well.

Can you elaborate on the 2008 fiasco?

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2021, 11:12:03 PM »
It was when the leadership of the NWTF, a non-profit organization, was exposed for taking large salaries. I won't debate whether they were worth it or not but it stuck in the craw of a lot of people. Back then NWTF was largely a volunteer run organization, with a lot of people working hard for free. Then they found out how much money the leadership was making and it made a lot of people mad. They did do a lot of good things for turkeys in the beginning, but it morphed into a corporation where the leadership was taking a lot of the money from members for their salaries.
This is my opinion as an outsider looking in. Others who have more direct knowledge of the situation could probably explain it better than me.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2021, 12:09:39 AM »
With the Youtube video itself, i see nothing wrong with how it was put together, it touch several areas of  hunting wild turkeys,with adults, kids and handicap hunters. It's all about protecting the wild turkeys for future generations. In my opinion with what's going on in today's World we need the NWTF - TFT more than ever to help protect the future of hunting. We need these platforms to help protect our hunting heritage for the future, regardless what you think of the NWTF. I will continue to support the organization so hopefully one day my grandkids will have a chance to hunter these birds alone with future generations.  Everyone is entitled, to hunt and fish in most all states, this video is all about securing the future of hunting for generation to come.

Hobbes

« Reply #36 on: February 26, 2021, 12:43:13 AM »
I tried to watch it but I can't get through the whole thing. I didn't hear anything bad necessarily, but it's just too long.  I don't care for the new logo because it's too cartoonish, but I can understand the decision to update it.

Offline Ol timer

« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2021, 08:04:02 AM »
. I’m sorry but I believe men should be men. If I was on a job and some guy wearing a man bun started talking I’d just not be interested in what he was saying . I wish him no harm but I’d stay away. They’re strategy is working great. I turned away from video

Never judge a book by its cover, the gentleman is a US Navy Seal I think he’s Man enough!!

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2021, 08:13:58 AM »

I knew it reminded me of something....they stole a 2nd graders Thanksgiving art project.

It’s so true. Very amateurish

Offline TheRogueOutdoorsman

« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2021, 08:14:46 AM »
It was when the leadership of the NWTF, a non-profit organization, was exposed for taking large salaries. I won't debate whether they were worth it or not but it stuck in the craw of a lot of people. Back then NWTF was largely a volunteer run organization, with a lot of people working hard for free. Then they found out how much money the leadership was making and it made a lot of people mad. They did do a lot of good things for turkeys in the beginning, but it morphed into a corporation where the leadership was taking a lot of the money from members for their salaries.
This is my opinion as an outsider looking in. Others who have more direct knowledge of the situation could probably explain it better than me.

Thanks for the info.

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #40 on: February 26, 2021, 08:17:30 AM »

Pretty well sums it up.  As one that does "have more direct knowledge of the situation", you pretty much hit the nail on the head.  When the attitude of the leadership goes from "how much can I put into helping wild turkeys" to "how much can I get out of this for myself", you know the ship has turned in the wrong direction.  :icon_thumright:

Offline Jimspur

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2021, 08:41:40 AM »
My issue with the video is it seemed to be heavy on marketing and reinventing the brand and talking about how the logo appealed to younger hunters blah, blah, blah. I don't really give a crap about your 2nd grade looking logo. All the money they paid for this slick marketing BS could have benefited the wild turkey.

I want to know what percentage of money I donate is going to salaries, costs, etcetera, and how much is going to the wild turkey.

I am all for protecting the resource for future generations to come, I just don't want the bulk of my money going to marketing and advertising firms and corporate types that are making a living off of my dollar. I want my money helping turkeys. So instead of all this marketing BS, why not just come out and say hey - in the past some things were done that we don't feel were right but we have new leadership and are going to move in a new direction and want to earn your trust back. You lose me when you start talking about branding and creating a new logo that studies show appeals to a younger audience blah, blah, blah.

Now I only watched 21 minutes of the video so maybe they touched on these points. If they did then someone can correct me.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2021, 08:57:08 AM »
. I’m sorry but I believe men should be men. If I was on a job and some guy wearing a man bun started talking I’d just not be interested in what he was saying . I wish him no harm but I’d stay away. They’re strategy is working great. I turned away from video

Never judge a book by its cover, the gentleman is a US Navy Seal I think he’s Man enough!!

Perfect example about my point. If he looked like a seal and God bless him if he is, I’d prob be interested in what he had to say. If he looks like someone I have nothing in common with I’m not even gonna begin to start listening. Marketing is a skill they’re real light on.

Offline Ol timer

« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2021, 09:07:14 AM »
I guess Joe Biden looks like a US President

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2021, 09:08:06 AM »
I was involved with a local chapter for awhile here in VA, from an inside perspective it was all about selling tickets for banquets and memberships.  I was taken back when I saw how much of the funds raised went into the super fund and did not stay local, it was less than a 1/4 raised.  Beyond that it was lets set up at X sporting goods store and sell memberships or lets put up the JAKES shooting range and sell memberships.  I get that it's membership driven and that membership dollars support it but I didn't volunteer to be a salesman and didn't see anyone around me interested in putting together a hunt for kids or wanting to work with our DWR on a habitat project.  Money, money, money just turned me of quick, especially when it's not benefitting you locally.  I, like many others, am watching closely to see if TFT picks back up the torch of what the NWTF used to be.  Especially given the turkey population declines the southeastern US is seeing now and for the last 10+ years.  I wish TFT well and hope the NWTF will once again regain focus.