News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thoughts on sights

Started by Happy trails, May 10, 2020, 04:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chipper

Quote from: chow hound on May 10, 2020, 06:19:24 PM
When you reach a certain age where you can't even see the end of the barrel, much less the bead on it, sights become a necessity ;D  I use the Burris Speed Bead and love it

Same here but I'm using a Aimpoint Micro H1 and wish I would have had it 15 years ago now.

roberthyman14

I just put a b square saddle on my 870.  Topped with an old BSA red dot.   The saddle is built to see the bead if needed.   Might put a tru glo bead on before next season

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Howie g

Shot factory beads for 30 plus years , then went to rifle type sights .  Eyesight has gotten worse , went to a scope last year with good results , but a hate the way a scope looks and how I have to baby it , from fear of it getting knocked off .  Going to a fast fire or something similar next spring .

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on May 10, 2020, 09:43:34 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 10, 2020, 08:56:11 PM
I've had scopes on all my hunting rifles and pistols including my .22, and on my crossbow. I've had scopes on my turkey scatterguns for most of my turkey hunting career. So I'm used to hunting with scopes. Plus as I've gotten older, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, so scopes are helpful.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

This right here. I started with bead then red dots. I like magnification so every gun I have has a scope on it. I even bought a eotech and put on my 20 gauge. My guns have really tight patterns and you shoot them like rifles. I like precise aiming.
:icon_thumright:

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Marc

I have stuck with the bead...   Was meaning to switch to some sort of "optics" at one time.

Then I realized, that I have missed a very small percentage of birds....  The bead does not make the birds look closer than they are, it allows me to shoot to a moving target (especially as a wing-shooter), and allows me to mount and shoot quickly as opposed to having to rest my gun on the knee...

Granted, if I can, I will pre-mount, and have the gun on the bird as he comes into range...  But I so infrequently predict the direction that the bird will appear, that this is not a factor for me...  I have found, that generally, as I pull up or move the gun to shoot a bird, that his head comes up (for an instant), and if I am decisive, I have a good target with a bead...  Do NOT make that move to shoot, until you are ready to shoot shoot...

Having fiddled with (but never hunted with) optics, it takes me a lot longer for target acquisition, and this is a huge negative (not to mention the time and money to purchase and mount such optics)...  Granted my experimentation was some time ago, and I have no doubt that the optics and technology have improved...  But, I have not had an issue shooting a bird over the bead.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

adamg

Slapped a B-Square on my 870 turkey build and put a Bushnell TRS-25 on it, best thing I ever did.  Battery lasts a couple seasons as long as it's not left on all the time.  Had to add a cheapo comb riser to the stock to get a proper cheek weld also.  Was worried about lens flash spooking birds but so far haven't had a problem.  Nice little sight for the money.

MK M GOBL

Put a scope on (2 Guns) about 25 years ago, never needed to change from it. Has been flawless and works out great for for those I introduce to turkey hunting for POA/Vital Neck Shot.

"Circle of Death"

MK M GOBL

Tom007

I think we all have looked at this in one way or another. The new technology chokes and loads kinda added light to the need for precise POA on our guns. I have the Nikon Spur a Burris Fastfire, and a Bushnell Scope on my turkey gun fleet. I like them all. They definitely have helped me stay right on target with clean head harvests. I will never go back to the plain bead set up, my eyes need the optics to make me more proficient.

lunghit

I have used both bead and red dot and prefer the red dot. I currently use an Aimpoint 9000SC and have no reason to change. It has been absolutely flawless and been on my primary turkey gun for 5 years now.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

JMalin

Red dot here and I keep both eyes open to help with target acquisition.  Not as ideal as a bead on a quick moving/spooked bird, but when that's the case, even with a bead, that scenario lends itself to an instinctive/reactive type shot than a carefully aimed shot.

LaLongbeard

I've always used the bead. Scopes or any other add on makes the gun top heavy and then there's the fogging, breaking batteries running out etc. I'd also think that if you can't see a Gobbler at 40 yards you may need to get your eyes checked.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

USMC0331

Each sight style has its pros and cons. When you buy a shotgun , choke and ammo a bead may or may not be ideal. Find one you are comfortable and accurate with and  bust a few  birds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

roberthyman14

Quote from: adamg on May 11, 2020, 04:28:00 AM
Slapped a B-Square on my 870 turkey build and put a Bushnell TRS-25 on it, best thing I ever did.  Battery lasts a couple seasons as long as it's not left on all the time.  Had to add a cheapo comb riser to the stock to get a proper cheek weld also.  Was worried about lens flash spooking birds but so far haven't had a problem.  Nice little sight for the money.
Where did you get the comb riser from. I need to add one to help a bit

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

USMC0331

This company makes a few styles.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

crow

I always shot just a bead but finally went high tech and put on a red dot,
thats a red fiber optic mid bead (rear sight).

now I put the front green dot on the mid red dot, fast, accurate and simple.