OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts on sights

Started by Happy trails, May 10, 2020, 04:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jbird22

After a stretch with way too many misses in 2010 or 2011, I switched to a Burris Fastfire 2 and have never looked back. I've had to wipe mud and water off the lens before but it didn't kept me from shooting a turkey. It may not be everyone's cup of tea but it fits my very well.

Gooserbat

I shoot either the TruGlo Mag Gobble Dots or Williams Fire Sights.  Both are topnotch.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

lunghit

Quote from: roberthyman14 on May 11, 2020, 06:40:30 PM
Quote from: adamg on May 11, 2020, 04:28:00 AM
Slapped a B-Square on my 870 turkey build and put a Bushnell TRS-25 on it, best thing I ever did.  Battery lasts a couple seasons as long as it's not left on all the time.  Had to add a cheapo comb riser to the stock to get a proper cheek weld also.  Was worried about lens flash spooking birds but so far haven't had a problem.  Nice little sight for the money.
Where did you get the comb riser from. I need to add one to help a bit

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Look at the ACCU-Riser too. I have one on my SX3 and its perfect
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Tom007

Great looking gun. Looks like you got the Burris Tactical rings? I finally found them, wow they are solid. They handle the recoil real well.

zelmo1

I have a FF2 on my main gun but actually prefer the " Dead Ringer" sights. Dead ringers on my other guns.

lunghit

Quote from: Tom007 on May 12, 2020, 06:21:35 AM
Great looking gun. Looks like you got the Burris Tactical rings? I finally found them, wow they are solid. They handle the recoil real well.
I believe these are the Weaver tactical rings and they are very secure. I bought and used these over the ones that came with the Aimpoint scope. Hasn't moved under lots of heavy turkey loads.

Tom007

They look very beefy like the Burris. 6 screws for each ring, that's tough. Great set up.

lunghit

Quote from: Tom007 on May 12, 2020, 02:46:26 PM
They look very beefy like the Burris. 6 screws for each ring, that's tough. Great set up.
Thanks! It's by far my favorite set up for turkey.

Tail Feathers

A red dot helps my old eyes.  Change the battery before each season and verify sight in and go hunting!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

turkey_picker

EOTech circle dots on both my turkey guns, my old eyes don't focus as good as they once did.

310 gauge

I had the same 'old eyes" problems and was using the magnetic clip on tru-glow style bead sights. I could see pretty well with them, but they were just high enough off the barrel to throw my pattern low into the body at times. Decided back in December and January to have cataract surgery and now have 20/15 vision in both eyes. Back to shooting bead only and shoot like a teenager again. Now I can't read a phone text without my reading glasses but I keep cheap readers around for that cure. Good luck with your shooting!

the Ward

You can have the eyes of an eagle, but if the gun doesn't shoot point of aim with the bead then what? I have had too many guns that wouldn't shoot poi with the bead, and a really tight turkey choke only makes it harder to accurately  place shot on target. Especially at close range.I have used the bead, then went to fiber optic sights, then to red dots, and now a scope. I prefer red dots, but i like the scope as i can focus the lens so i do not have to have my cheaters on to focus on sights. And the scope is for the close shots, not long range shooting. The pattern width is very small at close range and sights be it f.o. red dot or scope helps placing the shot with precision. At longer range a bead works ok as the shot has spread enough to compensate for an imprecise aiming device.Of course chokes and ammo selections play a big part also, Today's choke and ammo combinations can shoot very tight patterns, if the terrain one hunts dictates all the shots will be close, then a more open choke and bead can be viable and possibly optimal choice. Hunting a mix of woods and open fields, a good sighting device and tight choke can be very versatile. Just my opinion, and it has worked well for me.

Tom007

X2. I have red dots, and a Scope on my SBE. I like both the red dots and scope. Patterns the gun dead center.....

Marc

Quote from: the Ward on May 14, 2020, 10:59:26 AM
You can have the eyes of an eagle, but if the gun doesn't shoot point of aim with the bead then what? I have had too many guns that wouldn't shoot poi with the bead, and a really tight turkey choke only makes it harder to accurately  place shot on target. Especially at close range.I have used the bead, then went to fiber optic sights, then to red dots, and now a scope. I prefer red dots, but i like the scope as i can focus the lens so i do not have to have my cheaters on to focus on sights. And the scope is for the close shots, not long range shooting. The pattern width is very small at close range and sights be it f.o. red dot or scope helps placing the shot with precision. At longer range a bead works ok as the shot has spread enough to compensate for an imprecise aiming device.Of course chokes and ammo selections play a big part also, Today's choke and ammo combinations can shoot very tight patterns, if the terrain one hunts dictates all the shots will be close, then a more open choke and bead can be viable and possibly optimal choice. Hunting a mix of woods and open fields, a good sighting device and tight choke can be very versatile. Just my opinion, and it has worked well for me.

How far off is the gun shooting and why?  Is it off vertically or horizontally?

Many (if not most) shotguns are made to shoot slightly high...  For instance, if shooting at a target, 60% (60/40) of the pattern will be over the target, and 40% of the pattern will be below the target with a 30 pattern; a 50/50 pattern would be 50% of the pattern higher, and 50% of the pattern lower than the target...   With a 10 inch pattern, a far higher percentage should be over the target with a standard 60/40 pattern.

This is due to the fact that many wing and clay shooters favor "floating the target," meaning that the sight is just below the target so that the barrel does not block the target when shooting.

Many guns also come with shims to adjust for drop and cast...  I put in a shim to shoot a 50/50 pattern, with cast-off for a right-handed shooter.

If you are left-handed with a cast-on shim, I believe the gun would shoot to the right, if you are right-handed with a cast-on shim, I believe the gun would shoot to the left (but don't quote me on that). 

If you are right-handed and the gun shoots to the right with the cast-off, I would take out the cast shim...
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

7shooter

I have several Turkey guns set up with optics but prefer simple bead.  Just bought a new Benelli that's dead on with factory bead.