OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Thoughts on sights

Started by Happy trails, May 10, 2020, 04:23:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Happy trails

Was just wondering what others opinions were on sights. I started with the regular old bead, went to fiber op, turkey scope and came full circle back to ol standard bead. As long as I keep my form and face down on the stock, seems to work for me. Old habits die hard!

Yoteduster

GobbleNut

Quote from: Happy trails on May 10, 2020, 04:23:27 PM
I started with the regular old bead, went to fiber op, turkey scope and came full circle back to ol standard bead. As long as I keep my form and face down on the stock, seems to work for me. Old habits die hard!

Same series of events for me.  Shot beads initially, then when the first turkey scope craze started, I went with that,...for one hunt. ...Had a gobbler pop up at five yards and start bobbing his head back and forth.  In the scope, all I saw was a turkey head appearing for a split second,...and then disappearing.  ...I shot when his head was in the "disappearing" mode.  Went straight back to camp and removed the scope.  It's been sitting in a drawer ever since!

Next, I went through the "red dot" phase,....until the red dot fogged up one rainy hunt right about the time a gobbler showed up. ...Off with the red dot, and back to beads, until....

...the "Fastfire" craze hit.  ....Had to try that, too,...until another gobbler came out of the brush at 15 yards, saw something he didn't like, and turned to run.  I swung on him, guessing as to whether the Fastfire was on target or not,...and pulled the trigger.  Luckily, he went down,...but not before I realized that with my open "bead" sights, it would have been a gimmee for me at that range. 

Been back to the beads on the vent rib ever since,...and have no intention of ever trying another one of the gimmick sights. 

Brian Fahs

I put vortex venom on my 2 primary turkey guns. Getting a 3rd set up this summer. Absolutely love them.

1iagobblergetter

I love the Nikon/ Leupold turkey scopes and my Son really likes the FastFires.
After using a scope for over a decade straight I wouldn't go back to beads at least on my primary turkey gun.

chow hound

When you reach a certain age where you can't even see the end of the barrel, much less the bead on it, sights become a necessity ;D  I use the Burris Speed Bead and love it

Turkeytider

I've just come to like an adjustable sight, in my case a red dot. No worries with POA/POI.

Greg Massey

Nothing but scopes for me most of the time with see under mounts for my beads .. that will cure the problem of a turkey head bobbing and weaving in the scope at close yards .. i can use my shotgun bead ...

Old Timer

Quote from: Happy trails on May 10, 2020, 04:23:27 PM
Was just wondering what others opinions were on sights. I started with the regular old bead, went to fiber op, turkey scope and came full circle back to ol standard bead. As long as I keep my form and face down on the stock, seems to work for me. Old habits die hard!
My 835 is set up with a Nikon Turkey Pro. Took a strutter last Monday with this setup. The next day 3 longbeards came in nervous bobbing and weaving, well I missed. Scopes work well for me but as I get older I find when the action gets hot getting a good sight picture can be a project. Saturday I decided to take my goose set up. A Beretta A350 with fiber optic bead. Worked him 1 1/2 hours before I saw him at 30 yards. He only gobbled 7-8 times. He came in from behind me spitting and drumming  and when he presented himself I gave him a load of old federal premium #6. The bead sight got on him quick at 20-25 yards. I was elated to say the least. Tagged out in NY.

Dtrkyman

I prefer a double bead, just a sight picture I am used to from wing shooting.

One of my turkey guns shoots perfect down the beads, the other I added tru glo adjustable iron sights.

Been considering a vortex venom but it is really just a non needed "cool" thing to buy for me personally.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcoach

Bushnell Trophy Red dot for me.  Once you sight them in, it doesn't matter how you hold the gun or lift your head the dot doesn't change POI.  I've killed several birds with the gun turned 30 to 45 degrees from vertical.

RutnNStrutn

I've had scopes on all my hunting rifles and pistols including my .22, and on my crossbow. I've had scopes on my turkey scatterguns for most of my turkey hunting career. So I'm used to hunting with scopes. Plus as I've gotten older, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, so scopes are helpful.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

Which Gun

Ultra dot on the 12ga. Bushnell reflex on the 410.

Ihuntoldschool

I use one single bead and don't want anything more than that.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on May 10, 2020, 08:56:11 PM
I've had scopes on all my hunting rifles and pistols including my .22, and on my crossbow. I've had scopes on my turkey scatterguns for most of my turkey hunting career. So I'm used to hunting with scopes. Plus as I've gotten older, my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, so scopes are helpful.

Sent from deep in the woods where the critters roam.

This right here. I started with bead then red dots. I like magnification so every gun I have has a scope on it. I even bought a eotech and put on my 20 gauge. My guns have really tight patterns and you shoot them like rifles. I like precise aiming.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE