turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

What's your State Gobbler Limit ?

Started by Greg Massey, May 08, 2020, 09:59:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zeke6685

WV is 2 bearded turkeys in the spring, and one of either sex in the fall. I like these limits, but like Happy said, I'd love to see them outlaw rifles. Doesn't make sense that #2 shot isn't legal but you can shoot one with a 300 mag if you want.  ::)

C-Train

Minnesota limit is 1 bearded turkey.  We have five 7 day seasons, if gun hunting you have to pick one season and can only hunt the 7 days. Archery you can hunt every season, but  I don't like to sit in a blind so I choose to gun hunt.  wish i could hunt more than the 7 days.  I do like to go out without a gun after the seasons just to call.   

Candyman

Mississippi is 3. I think it should be 2 and no more Fall hunts unless the population rebounds.

Bowguy

29 I think if you have enough permits and enough time. That's not a misprint either

Ol timer

Lol well it depends on how deep your pockets are in NJ the states conservation agenda is just send  them all your money and you can kill as much as you'd like. No Limit!! Just buy as many permits as you'd like. Same goes for deer however the loophole is you can't find any property to hunt because it's mostly private and posted so your forced to hunt State land which is a disaster.

Bowguy

There's a turkey limit in NJ. It's only 1 a day. That makes 29 spring birds if you can get permits. Up north not hard.
Deer is ridiculous, it is actually worded unlimited. State land is no issue and often better than private up north

Ol timer

Ok I stand corrected 29 Turkeys what state in the lower 48 allows that many.

Bowguy

Where exactly is it all private n posted? I can't think of anywhere Excessive except the central.
Tons of county parks, town and private management hunts, land trusts, state, town, federal lands, wmas, state parks, state forests, it goes on n on.

Bowguy

Quote from: Ol timer on May 08, 2020, 12:26:18 PM

Not one it's completely asinine

Marc

I believe it is a 2 bird (one per day) either sex fall limit, and 3 bird (one per day) spring season.

No tags, and limits are by the "honor system."  I would almost prefer a tag system with the same season limits, but allow more than one bird per day (I often have limited days to hunt in the season)...  I would not mind paying a bit more for those tags as long as the money went back into the "Fish & Wildlife" system, or went to habitat management and accessibility for hunters.

I think a lot less birds would be harvested with a tag system, due to some private land hunting and the lack of "honor" in the honor system....

Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

bonasa

Tom007

Nj is one per permit per day. You can buy additional permits. Weird thing, you would think that the population would go down with these liberal bag limits. They stay fairly stable, approximately 3000 birds shot per year, 10,000 permits are approx sold.  Seems tougher the past several years. Fall seasons are only allowed in certain zones. It certainly isn't' the like it used to be in the 80's, 90's. Its a big money maker for the state. If you don't have private access, it's extremely tough. WMA's are crowded.

guesswho

Quote from: Turkeytider on May 08, 2020, 11:16:50 AM
Quote from: guesswho on May 08, 2020, 10:49:05 AM
GA-3
AL-5

I think the differences in the population estimates, and I suppose the resulting limits, differ as much as they do between two adjacent states is more than a little interesting. I`m sure there`s one published somewhere, but I`d like to see a scientifically/biologically based explanation.
Start dates and ending dates are about a couple weeks difference as well.   Deer season is even more skewed.  Georgia's gun season opens almost a month before Alabama's.  And Alabama stays open in parts of the State about a month after Georgia's season closes. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Loyalist84

In Ontario, it's 2 bearded birds, 1 per day in a 5-week Spring Season, and 1 bird in the Fall season which is the month of October.

guesswho

Quote from: Bowguy on May 08, 2020, 12:27:05 PM
Quote from: Ol timer on May 08, 2020, 12:26:18 PM

Not one it's completely asinine
I thought Michigan's fall season had somebody odd bag limit.   For some reason I thought you could buy as many tags as you wanted in certain parts of the state.   But I've been wrong before.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff