only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Feet or Neck

Started by VaBoy, April 21, 2020, 08:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: g8rvet on April 21, 2020, 07:42:36 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 21, 2020, 02:28:50 PM
I go for the feet always. I get spurred on occasion, like this morning. But it's worth it!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Sorry you got spurred, but glad too!  Way to go Jim!
Thanks Larry!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Wigsplitter

Crghss

Stomp em on the head if need be, pick em up by the feet.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Tail Feathers

Feet.  After they stopped flopping and don't respond to touch.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Tennessee Lead

Grab them by the neck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dzsmith

I grab both legs, put one foot on the head "not stomping it" just to hold it in place  and I hold them while standing until they are done flopping. I do this so they don't break the beard which I let one flop so much one time he did. I just let the wings hit me while im holding them , but it keeps the beard from potentially getting tattered. I carry them out by the feet. I cape my birds so I try to do as little physical damage to them as possible. My tote is for the legs. Nothing against the carrying one by the head, I just don't do it myself, generally the feathers around the top of the neck are in bad shape as it is so I try to create little contact with them by carrying them that way.
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

Turkeyman

Quote from: Cottonmouth on April 21, 2020, 08:33:03 AM
I don't think it's a deep south thing, but more of a YouTube younger generation thing. As soon as they figure out that the reason their hands get bloody because they hold them by the neck, they will start holding them by the feet like everyone else.

X2

CALLM2U

I once told a new hunter, "Until you've been nearly beat to death by turkey wings after picking up him, you've not experienced a full turkey hunt"   ;D   I just consider it part of the memory. 

The way this year has gone, I would love to get beat up by a wing or two right now...

Howie g

I usually just scoop up whatever I can grab , because it's tuff to grab a specific body part while running ????

Gobble!

When in doubt, grab the legs stand on the head.

GobbleNut

Quote from: dzsmith on April 22, 2020, 01:01:23 AM
I grab both legs, put one foot on the head "not stomping it" just to hold it in place  and I hold them while standing until they are done flopping. I do this so they don't break the beard which I let one flop so much one time he did. I just let the wings hit me while im holding them , but it keeps the beard from potentially getting tattered. I carry them out by the feet. I cape my birds so I try to do as little physical damage to them as possible. My tote is for the legs. Nothing against the carrying one by the head, I just don't do it myself, generally the feathers around the top of the neck are in bad shape as it is so I try to create little contact with them by carrying them that way.

Pretty much my approach, as well.  I make every effort to keep every gobbler I kill in as pristine condition as I can.  I want every feather as intact as I can keep it,...one, because I try to take the best pictures I can with the bird,...and two, because I cape every gobbler I kill for a potential mount or other display.  Either way, I want as little damage to the bird as I can manage. 

I suppose that perhaps my reverence for these birds just extends to treating them as respectfully as I can after I take their life.  It is the least I can do for all the joy they give me in hunting them.

Yoteduster

I always pick them up the feet

WildTigerTrout

I have friend who told me many years ago " You have not won the game until you are standing on his neck"! When he stops flopping I pick him up by his feet.  I have not ever been spurred or had my legs beat up from flopping wings.  I want to keep it that way.  HA!
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Delmar ODonnell

Quote from: GobbleNut on April 22, 2020, 10:45:39 PM
Quote from: dzsmith on April 22, 2020, 01:01:23 AM

Pretty much my approach, as well.  I make every effort to keep every gobbler I kill in as pristine condition as I can.  I want every feather as intact as I can keep it,...one, because I try to take the best pictures I can with the bird,...and two, because I cape every gobbler I kill for a potential mount or other display.  Either way, I want as little damage to the bird as I can manage. 

I suppose that perhaps my reverence for these birds just extends to treating them as respectfully as I can after I take their life.  It is the least I can do for all the joy they give me in hunting them.

X2. I try to get to them relatively quickly, more to avoid feather damage than him getting away (although my first bird this year flopped 100 yards downhill into a creek,) and I usually pick them up by the head at first just to avoid the kicking spurs. I try to grab as close to the head as possible to avoid damaging the feathers around the neck, and I'll hold him at arms length until he's done flopping. Once he's done, I'll hang him by his feet from my tote for 30 minutes or so and sit down and just spend some time with him. (I admit, Dave and the PP got me to smoking a cigar at this time.) I love to just sit down and admire the beauty of the object of the pursuit; it almost hurts to take the knife to them.

Side note - I like hanging them up for a reasonable amount of time because it really sets their wings and feathers for great pictures.

Mossberg90MN

Feet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk