turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Feet or Neck

Started by VaBoy, April 21, 2020, 08:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

VaBoy

Something to pass the time... After you shoot a bird , do you pick him up by the feet or the neck ? Been watching lots of youtube and it just got me to thinking as it almost seems to be regional , more of a neck thing in the deep south. I have always been a feet person , just seems a bit disrespectful to pick them up by the neck to me but hey , that's just me...And I know , you just shot him in the face so what 's the difference. Just looking for other opinions. Everybody stay safe...

Cottonmouth

I don't think it's a deep south thing, but more of a YouTube younger generation thing. As soon as they figure out that the reason their hands get bloody because they hold them by the neck, they will start holding them by the feet like everyone else.

TauntoHawk

You have a better chance of catching a spur going for the feet and you probably are getting a bit bloody going for the head.

I had always went for the feet but trying to avoid the spurs but still grab by them seemed a little odd if they are still kicking at all. I went for the head once and just thought this seems to make more sense
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ddturkeyhunter

Have always gone for feet over the head. If still alive the most he can do is beat you up with his wings. But grabbing a turkey by the neck he has his wings his feet and spurs to beat you up with. I grew up working on a turkey farm as a young boy, and found out quickly you shouldn't grab a live turkey by the neck if possibly.

1iagobblergetter

That's a easy one...Feet...Just like someone else said it's easier to keep the hands cleaner.

Happy

I just keep them covered with my gun and let them flop. No reason to be running round with what could potentially be a loaded gun. If it's a semi anyways.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

goblr77

By the neck if they're still flopping. By the feet if they're done.

Goblen

I always just stay still after the shot. Just let the woods settle down an watch the other Turkeys just walk off most of the time. I don't see any reason to educate them any more. But I've never had a Turkey get up. Ever. Just the way I do things I guess. Each there own. Pick up by feet.

JMalin

How fast I get up depends on how confident I was in the shot.  If still flopping or they seem to still be alive, I'll just stand on their neck until they stop then pick up by the feet.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

I always try to get the feet under control. It's not always possible though. The wings will pop you if you aint careful also.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Sir-diealot

If still flopping I stood on the neck and once confident they are dead I leaned down, checked out all the colors of the head and how pretty it is and then picked him up by the legs. I have to agree, picking them up by the head does seem somehow disrespectful.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

RED NECK

I grab them by their legs,I never even thought about picking one up by the neck.
Browning'...."The Best There Is"

Austin 3:16...........

MSboy88

Feet. I give him one last chance to get me back with them spurs

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

g8rvet

I also will often just sit and cover them with the gun at first. But if they flop out of sight or behind brush, I will hustle to get them. Then I step on their head and quickly ensure they are quite dead with a knife to the brain.

For pics or to inspect the trophy or to tote them out, I am a leg man! 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.