turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Feet or Neck

Started by VaBoy, April 21, 2020, 08:25:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hobbes

I've been grabbing them by the feet for 30 years.  If you are looking for taxidermy work, the neck is a good way to mangle up the head/neck feathers.  It's tough enough to keep them looking good after the shot.  However, grab him by the drumstick and you can sure strip those feathers in a hurry too.  I assumed the neck thing was as much a YouTube fad as anything, similar to carrying a gun by its barrel like the PHs in Africa seem to do.

zelmo1

Feet, less mess, more control

OldSwamper

Feet for me but be careful.  As mentioned by others, had a buddy grab one that still had a little energy and yanked his leg through buddy's hand, filleting it like a ginsu knife, boat ride out, then to get hand sewed up

CALLM2U

Feet.  I don't think I've ever picked one up by the head/neck. 

blake_08

Feet. I've never held a gobbler by the neck.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Mountainburd

It seems almost strange to me to pick them up by the neck.  I've always found that odd when guys do that.  And I've personally never seen anyone do it...just in pictures.  I jump up after the shot, and step on their head until they stop flopping.  Then I pick up the bird by the feet and he goes in my turkey vest.

silvestris

Disrespectable?  Heck, you just shot him; how more disrespectful can you get.  I stand on his head until he quits flopping and place a loop of rope on each end around his neck and feet and carry him out head first over my shoulder so his feathers don't get messed up.  This ain't rocket science, like decoy placement, it is turkey hunting.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

RutnNStrutn

I go for the feet always. I get spurred on occasion, like this morning. But it's worth it!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

SteelCityArcher

Quote from: Sir-diealot on April 21, 2020, 11:39:54 AM
If still flopping I stood on the neck and once confident they are dead I leaned down, checked out all the colors of the head and how pretty it is and then picked him up by the legs. I have to agree, picking them up by the head does seem somehow disrespectful.

This. ^^^
"I will not tip-toe through life only to arrive safely at death."

Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.
No Guns. No peace. No safety.

Greg Massey

Just depends on what mood I am to pick him up. 

LRD

Always by the feet for me.

catman529

I used to always go for the feet but that's also how I got spurred several years ago. In the past couple seasons I've taken to grabbing the neck instead. Also reduces the chance of the bird "coming back to life" if the shot was more marginal than you thought.

Edit: I didn't know it was considered a fad. I just tried it myself one time and said hey, this is a lot better than going for the hooks and have them start flopping and kicking like crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Stickbow98

If I do my part right, there shouldn't be too much of a head/neck to grab onto anyway!  :icon_thumright:
"Have Bow & Benelli....Will Travel!"

g8rvet

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 21, 2020, 02:28:50 PM
I go for the feet always. I get spurred on occasion, like this morning. But it's worth it!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
Sorry you got spurred, but glad too!  Way to go Jim!
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

g8rvet

I was looking at some pic earlier and got to thinking.  100% of my grin and holding up a turkey were either behind him, fanned out or by the legs for pics on the go.  100% of my pics of holding giant Canadas were holding them by the neck.  I have never seen anyone hold up a Canada by the foot.  Wonder if some of the neck holders hunt honkers. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.