Started by Paulmyr, April 01, 2020, 06:53:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paulmyr

Quote from: Paulmyr on April 02, 2020, 11:02:01 PM
Quote from: bigriverbum on April 02, 2020, 10:48:08 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on April 02, 2020, 10:39:28 PM
Quote from: bigriverbum on April 02, 2020, 10:16:40 PM
Quote from: Paulmyr on April 01, 2020, 09:35:14 PM
Yup the hunting is good. I'll just be going to Wisconsin this year to get my fix. alot cheaper and alot closer.  2hr drive instead of 6.

"alot" is two words. just thought i'd let you know since you say it A LOT and whine A LOT
Thanks for the grammer lesson. I salute you ! Mind made up. Disappointed. No more Missouri for me and I'm sure I won't be missed. Boy I hope my sentence structure is adequate for you.

we wouldn't miss you in wisconsin either
I'm sure you wouldn't.
By the way Wisconsin is a proper noun spelled with a capital W.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

bigriverbum

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 02, 2020, 10:51:18 PM
Quote from: bigriverbum on April 02, 2020, 10:07:27 PM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 01, 2020, 10:27:10 PM
Could be worse. In SC this year the non-resident turkey tags went from free to $100, and they cut the bag limit FOR NON-RESIDENTS ONLY from 3 down to 2. Of course resident hunters, who greatly outnumber non-resident hunters, can still shoot 3 turkeys.
This was all done in the name of "protecting the turkey population". What a load of garbage!! If it was about protecting the turkey population, then ALL hunters would only be able to take 2 gobblers. It has NOTHING to do with protecting turkeys. It has to do with raising money for the state of SC, and discriminating against non-residents. If it wasn't for the time, money and effort I've put into my hunting property and camp, I'd find another state to hunt in.
This follows a new program 2 years ago that implemented a deer tag program that limited non-residents only to 4 bucks a year, cost non-residents an extra $110 a year, and doe tags went from $5 to $10, costing non-residents an additional $20 a year. Of course residents pay next to nothing, and can shoot more deer.
So now if you are a non-resident, and buy your 4 bucks tags, and 4 doe tags, and 2 turkey tags, in addition to your hunting license and big game permit, you're now on the hook for $435 to hunt deer and turkey. If you hunt waterfowl, bear, alligator, or on a WMA, the price keeps going up, up and up.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

ONLY four bucks a year?!?!??! oh no
LOL!!! Wise guy. You obviously know nothing about hunting in SC, the history of hunting in SC, or how I hunt.
Historically in SC there was no size or bag limit on bucks. Residents and non-residents alike shot the heck out of them. Not anymore, which is a good thing.
I don't shoot small bucks, so I fill my freezer with does, and a decent to good buck or 3 a year. My wife and I eat venison year round, and give away a lot to the kids.
The point of my original comment was that SCDNR reacts to the residents dislike of non-residents, and enacts new rules supposedly to help the bucks, or turkeys, but instead all they're doing is gouging the non-residents, while letting residents shoot more game. That is BS.

i understand your frustrations. the vast majority of people are happy and lucky to get a few deer a year. you don't shoot small bucks, yet you harvest 3 or 4 "harvestable" bucks a year in another state. kudos to you sir. i respect your opinion, i just don't agree with it

if everyone shot multiple doe and 1-4 bucks a year there would be no deer left. shouldn't you pay your share, however reasonable or ridiculous it is(to you)?

bigriverbum

you're right. i know nothing of hunting in south carolina. my opinions are based off my experience.

i live in wisconsin where we're known for monster bucks, huge herds, and a massive percentage of the population that deer hunts(maybe highest in USA)

having lived with these facts, i think complaining about only being able to shoot 4 bucks in another state is ridiculous. i may be wrong, but would be wrong through ignorance and if so i apologize

Vaughnrp2

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 02, 2020, 11:21:37 PM
Could be worse. In SC this year the non-resident turkey tags went from free to $100, and they cut the bag limit FOR NON-RESIDENTS ONLY from 3 down to 2. Of course resident hunters, who greatly outnumber non-resident hunters, can still shoot 3 turkeys.
This was all done in the name of "protecting the turkey population". What a load of garbage!! If it was about protecting the turkey population, then ALL hunters would only be able to take 2 gobblers. It has NOTHING to do with protecting turkeys. It has to do with raising money for the state of SC, and discriminating against non-residents. If it wasn't for the time, money and effort I've put into my hunting property and camp, I'd find another state to hunt in.
This follows a new program 2 years ago that implemented a deer tag program that limited non-residents only to 4 bucks a year, cost non-residents an extra $110 a year, and doe tags went from $5 to $10, costing non-residents an additional $20 a year. Of course residents pay next to nothing, and can shoot more deer.
So now if you are a non-resident, and buy your 4 bucks tags, and 4 doe tags, and 2 turkey tags, in addition to your hunting license and big game permit, you're now on the hook for $435 to hunt deer and turkey. If you hunt waterfowl, bear, alligator, or on a WMA, the price keeps going up, up and up.

LOL!!! Wise guy. You obviously know nothing about hunting in SC, the history of hunting in SC, or how I hunt.
Historically in SC there was no size or bag limit on bucks. Residents and non-residents alike shot the heck out of them. Not anymore, which is a good thing.
I don't shoot small bucks, so I fill my freezer with does, and a decent to good buck or 3 a year. My wife and I eat venison year round, and give away a lot to the kids.
The point of my original comment was that SCDNR reacts to the residents dislike of non-residents, and enacts new rules supposedly to help the bucks, or turkeys, but instead all they're doing is gouging the non-residents, while letting residents shoot more game. That is BS.

i understand your frustrations. the vast majority of people are happy and lucky to get a few deer a year. you don't shoot small bucks, yet you harvest 3 or 4 "harvestable" bucks a year in another state. kudos to you sir. i respect your opinion, i just don't agree with it

if everyone shot multiple doe and 1-4 bucks a year there would be no deer left. shouldn't you pay your share, however reasonable or ridiculous it is(to you)?

Historically there was no bag limit or size limit because most deer hunting was done in front of a pack of dogs in SC. For better or worse that has changed and so have the rule that govern deer hunting. Also there where multiple changes in turkey regulation this year some affecting instate and out of state hunter alike.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 02, 2020, 11:27:19 PM
you're right. i know nothing of hunting in south carolina. my opinions are based off my experience.

i live in wisconsin where we're known for monster bucks, huge herds, and a massive percentage of the population that deer hunts(maybe highest in USA)

having lived with these facts, i think complaining about only being able to shoot 4 bucks in another state is ridiculous. i may be wrong, but would be wrong through ignorance and if so i apologize
Nothing to apologize about anything. Your deer hunting and my deer hunting are 2 different worlds. Simple as that.

RutnNStrutn

There would be no deer left? You have obviously never hunted in the Lowcountry of SC.

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: Vaughnrp2 on April 02, 2020, 11:40:43 PM

Historically there was no bag limit or size limit because most deer hunting was done in front of a pack of dogs in SC. For better or worse that has changed and so have the rule that govern deer hunting. Also there where multiple changes in turkey regulation this year some affecting instate and out of state hunter alike.
Long after dog hunting went out of style, and was no longer accepted, there was still no size or bag limits on bucks.
I'm not arguing for a return to those days. I think it was ridiculous, and poor management by SCDNR.

Southernson13

Alternatively, I think the cheapest I've seen is Michigan and Oklahoma. If I remember correctly Michigan is 15 and Oklahoma is 20

deerhunt1988

Talk about a thread derail. Corona got ya'll acting crazy.

LaLongbeard

Quote from: dzsmith on April 02, 2020, 08:22:53 PM
Quote from: LaLongbeard on April 02, 2020, 08:27:52 AM
Hunting  will only continue to increase in cost. The English did the same thing, made Hunting a wealthy mans sport. It did cut down on the unwashed peasants they had to deal with....I'm looking forward to that part lol.
me to as long as it LA residents.

Well if the La boys are leasing up your Mississippi land I guess they look at you like the peasant lol.
I myself only hunt public land no matter the state.
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Paulmyr

Quote from: bigriverbum on April 02, 2020, 10:20:36 PM
i'm sure A LOT of people here are for state's rights and i'd wholeheartedly agree

other states could also just not let non-residents hunt there if they so wished
If I purchased my tags for another state while sitting on my couch, I would be purchasing the right to hunt in that state over state lines. I believe that would put it under the interstate commerce clause. The non-res hunting issue would be under federal control. So in the theory NR should be charged the same as Res tags. The state would be able to avoid the interstate commerce clause by only selling NR tags over the counter. Not saying I am a fan of the IC clause. It has been used for some nefarious reasons. Technically speaking, states would give up the right to manage their resources by selling NR tags online.
My brain is starting to hurt after coming up with that.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Ozarks Hillbilly

I don't really expect the MDC to close season to non resident hunters this year do to spread of COVID-19 but I saw where Kansas has so I guess that is a possibility.